• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro Sniper Coil

groundmagnet

Hopefully somebody can help me.

I just got the AT Pro Sniper coil in today. I installed it and did a factory reset. I can wave the coil in the air over my head and it still is jumping around from vdi readings of 35-99. There is no metal over my head!

Am I missing something here? I did an air test and got no readings except for what I was testing with. Now the MD is picking up metal from the air. So confused...

I'm thinking I should just go with a CTX3030 and be done with this.

Did another factory reset. Not getting jumping signals over my head, but it won't pick up my snow plow with the coil resting on it. MD is in zero discrimination mode...

It did find one of the modern coins I buried as tests. A quarter was reading 32 on the vdi meter... I have them marked with stakes as I was trying to learn signals at different depths. The quarter was buried at 2 inches...

Hopefully somebody can help me.

I just got the AT Pro Sniper coil in today. I installed it and did a factory reset. I can wave the coil in the air over my head and it still is jumping around from vdi readings of 35-99. There is no metal over my head!

Am I missing something here? I did an air test and got no readings except for what I was testing with. Now the MD is picking up metal from the air. So confused...

I'm thinking I should just go with a CTX3030 and be done with this.

is the air test inside ?

Air test was outside in the front yard. I was able to replicate the air test on my deck that has more nails and screws holding it together than a hardware store keeps in stock.

Detected around an old oak tree on the corner of my property and things went nuts.

I disconnected the coil and then screwed it back in. Did another reset. Same results... I have the coil wire tied up with tape, so that should not be interfering with signals.

You have a faulty coil,send it back

I agree with woodbutcher. sounds like a bad coil.

test ---
put another coil on it - if it works fine with different coil, its the sniper coil.
if it still acts up with another coil --- its the unit.

as a side note:
make sure the connectors are in the correct orientation when you install the connector to the control box - i have seen it be off a bit and they actually screwed the pins into the plastic just barely touching each other. the nut should just about go to the end of the threads also.

I agree with woodbutcher. sounds like a bad coil.

test ---
put another coil on it - if it works fine with different coil, its the sniper coil.
if it still acts up with another coil --- its the unit.

as a side note:
make sure the connectors are in the correct orientation when you install the connector to the control box - i have seen it be off a bit and they actually screwed the pins into the plastic just barely touching each other. the nut should just about go to the end of the threads also.

I have no issues with the stock DD coil. Once the sniper is on, the machine gets crazy.

Just changed batteries. Will take it out for another test to be sure it is the coil.

I have no issues with the stock DD coil. Once the sniper is on, the machine gets crazy.

Just changed batteries. Will take it out for another test to be sure it is the coil.

If changing out the coil is solving the problem, the new coil IS defective and you should send it back. Even if you can somehow make it work right now, you will be having trouble with it later.

I tested the coil again today. Put in fresh batteries. Did an air test with the stock DD coil. No problems.

Put on the sniper coil and did a factory reset. I was detecting metal in the air with signals ranging from 60-98. I did an amazon return, so I'm sending this coil back. Going to get a 5x8 coil instead.

Back
Top Bottom