Metal Detecting / Lost & Found ads...

PSYS

Elite Member
I did a search and tried several keywords, but nothing is coming up for me. Please feel free to move this thread if it doesn't belong here.

I've been on the forum for a few years now. Having moved from Wisconsin to Arizona a few months ago, I thought I'd start swinging the detector again since it's finally starting to cool off (midwesterners & east coasters need not comment!) :p

I know quite a few of you have had some inexpensive business cards made up and I thought I saw a thread on here somewhere about a few of you posting local ads on craigslist. i.e., "Lost something you can't find? Wife looking to kill you because you finally lost your wedding ring? Call me!" (etc, etc, etc.)

I'm wondering if any of you charge a fee for your services if/when someone does finally call / text / e-mail. If so, would you mind sharing what you charge and/or how you structure your fee? Additionally, do you try and incorporate yourself into somehow hunting the entire property while you're there and have located the lost item in question? On one hand, I don't think I should have to spend several hours at a property because they 'think' they may have lost it somewhere in this region... on other hand, it might be a good opportunity to gain trust and/or obtain additional permissions.

Just curious...

Personally, I'd avoid Craigslist like the plague it is. Good way to get robbed/shot/stabbed by someone leading you to an out of the way location. But that's just me, I like keeping my inside stuff on my inside :yes:

As far as charging, up to you, but there are groups such as LostMyStuff where requiring payment is forbidden.

You either do it for the sake of a good deed, or possibly asking for permission to detect more if it holds the possibility of other finds. People remember someone doing them a solid, and maybe they know someone else they might get you in the door with permission(s).

I would avoid property markers too. You say "there they are", and something goes sideways.....but you're not a "Surveyor"...well, there's a can of worms I'd rather avoid for a couple bucks. Again, that's just me.

I've currently got an ad going and I don't charge anything. Here's what I've written on the ad:

"Cost: I do not charge anything to search for your lost item/s (no call-out fee), but a reward if found is appreciated to help cover travel and maintenance of equipment costs"

So far I've only had one callout, and got given $150 for finding the ring. Very generous IMO.

I've located thousands of property pins over the years. Being in construction you find them once at the beginning of the project just to have a rough idea of what needs to be cleared or where the house will sit, then at the end a homeowner will ask where they are. I've always told them, "I will find the piece of metal that was used to mark your properties corners but they have very well been move during clearing and landscaping so it is up to you to have a surveyor to verify they are where they are supposed to be." I never turn a shovel without a survey and any smart person would do the same.

I have 14 returns so far. I do not charge for my services but instead ask to hunt the entire property and to keep whatever else I find. Once I did that and found a gold, silver and diamond bracelet which my wife adores (the property owner had just moved in). I often get plenty of referrals from this which offers lots of permissions. One man was so grateful I found his 14 K wedding ring he has acquired several very juicy permissions from friends. He also is on the board of a couple of historic organizations. He also gave me permission to hunt a 70 acre property that has been in his family for 3generations. While there I found ANOTHER 14K ring. Seems he lost his first wedding ring 30years ago so he got a “twofer”

I have 14 returns so far. I do not charge for my services but instead ask to hunt the entire property and to keep whatever else I find. Once I did that and found a gold, silver and diamond bracelet which my wife adores (the property owner had just moved in). I often get plenty of referrals from this which offers lots of permissions. One man was so grateful I found his 14 K wedding ring he has acquired several very juicy permissions from friends. He also is on the board of a couple of historic organizations. He also gave me permission to hunt a 70 acre property that has been in his family for 3generations. While there I found ANOTHER 14K ring. Seems he lost his first wedding ring 30years ago so he got a “twofer”

Chipk:

...any chance you've got an example of what you post in your advertisement?

Chipk:

...any chance you've got an example of what you post in your advertisement?

It varies every time. I’ve posted jewelry I’ve found that is someone can identify I can return. I’ve talked about local history and why you shouldn’t wear jewelry to the beach or sometimes I just show some interesting finds. But you have to repost at least once a month to keep people aware of you.

I have searched for and found items in the past for people. I haven't charged anyone or accepted any compensation. As Gauntlet posted LostMyStuff.net is a good site to join. They send emails of lost items across the country. They also send members, close to the lost item, emails and contact info if they want to search for the item.

Back
Top Bottom