Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 12:06 AM

Default Kingston, NY 7up Bottle (sealed bottle)

I have been checking out a site for metal detecting recently. I walked an adjacent property where research has shown an old building existed from at least 1875 until the late 1980s on a topo map.

Found a 7up Bottle toady while working on plotting GPS coordinates. Bottle is not opened. On the metal top, it says: "Bottled by the 7up Bottling Company, 40 Bryun Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401."

The bottle is still filled with liquid, and while washing it off, it seems to have a bit of carbonation left!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I take them. Are unopened bottles rare? I'm trying to research the 7up bottling company in Kingston now.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 AM

Old 11-05-2017, 01:45 AM
Elite Member

That's pretty cool. I remember bottles like that from when I was a kid. I'm wondering how long it was outside though. I would think that one winter of freeze/thaw cycles would've wreaked havoc on it. Then again, if it was buried deep enough I guess it could survive.

White's TRX pinpointer

Old 11-05-2017, 01:49 AM
Elite Member

bottle I found last week 7up 1940's
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2017, 01:56 AM

Yea my wife is thinking the bubbles we are seeing is from the dawn dish detergent. It was around 12 inches deep in what seemed to be a trash pile. At this point we think the bottle is leaking, but the cap seems intact. I'll have to look closer tomorrow.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:02 AM
Supporter

Looks like a 1960's version of the 'UNCOLA'. If you are over 50 you can dig it.

Wonder if Lithium is still one of the 7 ingredients.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Looks like a 1960's version of the 'UNCOLA'. If you are over 50 you can dig it.

Wonder if Lithium is still one of the 7 ingredients.
That bottle sure looks awfully nice condition to be buried. It looks like late 60s to mid-70s era. Lithium was banned by the FDA in '48:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5836322.html

There may be a 2 digit date code on the bottom of the bottle, most soda bottles had 'em. Note that anything with a zip code is at least after the mid 1960s.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Screw-top foil cap, with a serrated safety seal. Appears to be relatively modern to me.

Roger

Old 11-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

Could always taste it.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by stinger View post
bottle I found last week 7up 1940's
Thats a collectable bottle,very nice.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:35 PM

Did a bit of research on the 7-up bottle. Date on the bottom is 77, so I'm assuming 1977. That would make sense as it was in a bag with 2 metal bottles of dry gas with a 1976 date on it. Also had a canned Quaker State oil can, among modern trash. This dump I believe is very recent, as these were mixed in a bag with newer items in a 12" deep pit with 2 other bags of trash on top. Looks like somebody in the development 30 feet away decided to clean out a garage or something and throw the bags in the woods. I find it hard to believe that this bottle survived a winter, so I suspect the bags were dumped sometime this year.

Cool find for me regardless, as I never knew 7-up was bottled in Kingston, and there is still a bottling plant there today. Nevertheless, I have put it on my small bottle shelf with other bottles I have found over the years as I find it neat!

I'll be hitting the site with the metal detector in the coming weeks after some of the other sites I have been researching.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by groundmagnet View post
Did a bit of research on the 7-up bottle. Date on the bottom is 77, so I'm assuming 1977. That would make sense as it was in a bag with 2 metal bottles of dry gas with a 1976 date on it. Also had a canned Quaker State oil can, among modern trash. This dump I believe is very recent, as these were mixed in a bag with newer items in a 12" deep pit with 2 other bags of trash on top. Looks like somebody in the development 30 feet away decided to clean out a garage or something and throw the bags in the woods. I find it hard to believe that this bottle survived a winter, so I suspect the bags were dumped sometime this year.

Cool find for me regardless, as I never knew 7-up was bottled in Kingston, and there is still a bottling plant there today. Nevertheless, I have put it on my small bottle shelf with other bottles I have found over the years as I find it neat!

I'll be hitting the site with the metal detector in the coming weeks after some of the other sites I have been researching.
Still pretty cool never knew there was a bottle plant there either