Amazing detecting trip - Montana to Indiana!

wow, what a great trip you guys had. It just goes to show that the secret is to get your detector over the goods. And the AT Pro will find the goods as you have proved. All the compare videos in the world don't come close to showing what good permissions and a good detectorist will find in terms of great targets.

Thanks for posting your finds and info on the trip. What is you next trip going to be?

Goodness David, what a great trip and spectacular finds! Curious as to how you determined your destination for this trip. You certainly picked a very productive area. If this was purely a detecting road trip vacation, you could have gone literally anywhere. Excellent write up , thanks for taking us along.

That is fantastic! Suddenly I am making retirement plans….

Thank you teotwaki12! While I do still have to work a fair amount, I am my own boss so was able to get some time away to try this trip. The whole USA has possibilities...

CONGRATS! Wow. thank you for sharing. After that much detecting your arm must be beat.

Thank you CharlieT84! Yeah, my fingers on my RH were a bit sore, along with the palm of my LH. We did get a good workout!

wow, what a great trip you guys had. It just goes to show that the secret is to get your detector over the goods. And the AT Pro will find the goods as you have proved. All the compare videos in the world don't come close to showing what good permissions and a good detectorist will find in terms of great targets.

Thanks for posting your finds and info on the trip. What is you next trip going to be?

Thank you maxxkatt! Yep, getting good permissions and getting the coil over some good targets make for a good trip. The AT Pro did really well, nice fairly mild soil back in the midwest so didn't have to content with super mineralized ground like in Butte Montana. Definitely want to head out again, probably next year, I would really like to try upstate NY or the New England area as homes etc go way way back!

Goodness David, what a great trip and spectacular finds! Curious as to how you determined your destination for this trip. You certainly picked a very productive area. If this was purely a detecting road trip vacation, you could have gone literally anywhere. Excellent write up , thanks for taking us along.

Thank you Todd! Yes, this was mostly a detecting trip, though I did attend an antique bottle show in Lebanon IN, along with purchasing some old bottles at a couple of bottle shops back there, so part of the trip was business. The primary reason was to detect, and we hit it pretty hard most days with at least 8 hours of detecting. Thankfully we had great weather there the entire time. As per choosing Richmond Indiana, what is now the "rust belt" of the USA used to be one of the richest and most productive manufacturing centers in the country. Richmond and Wayne County Indiana had more millionaires back in the day than most other areas of the USA. I also used google maps to check out whether towns had curb strips, how wide, and what the homes looked like from "street view" to get an idea of where to detect. Though I think pretty much any town or city back in that whole midwest thru east coast would prove to be very productive!

OMG...just a stunning show of finds. I'd be happy with just one good permission around here..lol. Curious on what that "enameled" looking piece of jewelry might be in that pile of stuff. Huge congrats!!!

Thank you teotwaki12! While I do still have to work a fair amount, I am my own boss so was able to get some time away to try this trip. The whole USA has possibilities...

Thank you CharlieT84! Yeah, my fingers on my RH were a bit sore, along with the palm of my LH. We did get a good workout!

Thank you maxxkatt! Yep, getting good permissions and getting the coil over some good targets make for a good trip. The AT Pro did really well, nice fairly mild soil back in the midwest so didn't have to content with super mineralized ground like in Butte Montana. Definitely want to head out again, probably next year, I would really like to try upstate NY or the New England area as homes etc go way way back!

Thank you Todd! Yes, this was mostly a detecting trip, though I did attend an antique bottle show in Lebanon IN, along with purchasing some old bottles at a couple of bottle shops back there, so part of the trip was business. The primary reason was to detect, and we hit it pretty hard most days with at least 8 hours of detecting. Thankfully we had great weather there the entire time. As per choosing Richmond Indiana, what is now the "rust belt" of the USA used to be one of the richest and most productive manufacturing centers in the country. Richmond and Wayne County Indiana had more millionaires back in the day than most other areas of the USA. I also used google maps to check out whether towns had curb strips, how wide, and what the homes looked like from "street view" to get an idea of where to detect. Though I think pretty much any town or city back in that whole midwest thru east coast would prove to be very productive!

I think you are 100% correct about the rust belt. The Industrial revolution was in heavy force in those areas from the late 1800 - until the 70's. Unfortunately the south did not participate in the industrial revolution to any degree like the north. So any trip south, forget silver coins, but we do have Civil War relics. But permission for land near battles, camps and skirmishes are hard to come by. In metro Atlanta most CW areas are covered by neighborhoods, expressways, office parks, big box stores etc. Up north of metro Atlanta to Chattanooga, farmers/landowners are very, very distrustful of any stranger due to the crack problems plaguing the rural areas.

OMG...just a stunning show of finds. I'd be happy with just one good permission around here..lol. Curious on what that "enameled" looking piece of jewelry might be in that pile of stuff. Huge congrats!!!

Thank you aviationgale! I think you mean the lower LH of the first pic, that was a nice fancy pin, probably copper or brass, with amethyst glass stones.

I think you are 100% correct about the rust belt. The Industrial revolution was in heavy force in those areas from the late 1800 - until the 70's. Unfortunately the south did not participate in the industrial revolution to any degree like the north. So any trip south, forget silver coins, but we do have Civil War relics. But permission for land near battles, camps and skirmishes are hard to come by. In metro Atlanta most CW areas are covered by neighborhoods, expressways, office parks, big box stores etc. Up north of metro Atlanta to Chattanooga, farmers/landowners are very, very distrustful of any stranger due to the crack problems plaguing the rural areas.

Thanks maxxkatt, while back in that area of Indiana I was told by several history buffs about the rich manufacturing history of the area, and wow, I sure got to see some incredible looking mansions and homes!

Nice haul! Indiana is full of history cool stuff. Congratulations from a Hoosier

Thank you Diggerjonny! For sure a ton of cool history there! We went thru a town with a big mural that depicted Abraham Lincoln's funeral train going thru town on the way to Illinois. And my goodness, so many many old homes, and beautiful 1800s country estates! You live in a great area of the country!

Thank you aviationgale! I think you mean the lower LH of the first pic, that was a nice fancy pin, probably copper or brass, with amethyst glass stones.

Thanks maxxkatt, while back in that area of Indiana I was told by several history buffs about the rich manufacturing history of the area, and wow, I sure got to see some incredible looking mansions and homes!

Most of our old mansions/homes are out in the country and were plantation or large land holders. Most of them within 40 miles of Atlanta have been restored and owned by rich Atlanta professionals. Then there are some that are abandoned and run down.

Really an amazing trip you guys had right there!
Going into "foreign" areas has always been tough for me, difficult enough to ask for permissions in my "hometown"

Really an amazing trip you guys had right there!
Going into "foreign" areas has always been tough for me, difficult enough to ask for permissions in my "hometown"

Thank you matmit! I am thankful to always have been "ok" with asking permission, I did it for years with outhouse digging, so it seemed natural to be comfortable for me for detecting front yards too.

What a trip ! Great research and well deserved bounty ! A little leg work went a long way ! The amount of silver you find is amazing ! Thanks for sharing !

Wow...talk about an epic hunt. Great job recovering those relics.

Next time you're in my neck of the woods, let me know and we'll see what we can scrounge up.

I see nowhere in your thread that identifies picture #15. What are those hook like things ? You sure found a lot of them. I’ve found a couple so if you can, tell me what they are……..please !!!

Back
Top Bottom