CTX 3030 vs Equinox 800: Comparing signals on silver coins in the wild.

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
I decided to carry both the 3030 and the Nox out to The Honey Hole and compare some signals. Didn't bother with trying a bunch of different settings or modes, just ran them how I usually have them set up. I dug a LOT of junk, but did manage a couple of silvers.

Both targets had iron next to them. You can actually see it on the CTX with Target Trace. I was kind of surprised on the 2nd target. The CTX gave a much cleaner signal than the Nox for whatever reason. I did have the Nox in 5 tones and the CTX in 50, so I guess that could've made a difference in tone response. I also run a fast recovery speed on the Nox which clips the signal, but I don't like to lower it too much when hunting iron as that would take away the Nox's biggest advantage. That target could have just been a fluke.. Who knows. It is what it is.

In the past I've found targets with the Nox that didn't sound good (or at all) on the CTX, but the 3030 is hard to beat on silver. As long as you keep the sweep speed slow it gives an unmistakable tone and ID, even in thick iron. Thats why the "dirty-30" will always have a place in my arsenal.

Last edited:
Good video.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that dime was on edge.
Based on how Nox was reporting.
I would also bet if Nox would have been slowed down say to 6 or 5 the signal would have been better, but likely not a broad tone sounding as CTX.

The fbs detectors tend to give broader tone in reporting vs Nox.
I can see this when doing test with buried targets comparing.

Thanks for sharing.
A good pair of detectors you have.

Thanks TNSS. It could have been on edge like you said. That would definitely explain the signal since the CTX does give a much broader tone, especially compared to the Nox set at recovery speed 7.

Thats a nice Barber quarter. Ive found (to me) field 1 hits harder (better audio info). Plus field 1 (and park 1) is more weighted to lower freq's

Thanks for taking the time for us.

Thats a nice Barber quarter. Ive found (to me) field 1 hits harder (better audio info). Plus field 1 (and park 1) is more weighted to lower freq's

Thanks bud! I agree, field 1 and park 1 do tend to hit high conductors harder. I just prefer the higher frequency combo modes at this particular spot because gold coins have been found there. I keep thinking there’s a few more just waiting to be found. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much the same is true with my Etrac--if it can see the coin, it's usually the preferable machine to use, for better ID and depth info, etc. But there are some things the Nox sees that it can't. One gent (I believe he used an Explorer) found the Nox coil to be finicky, in that it was less forgiving in the placement of the coil. I'm beginning to think he might be right.

I am guilty of covering up holes where i had a good signal and i just could not find it after digging. I have noticed it is harder to find with fbs and the multi iq. I noticed it is much easier to find with deus, impact in a disturbed environment. I have even turned my pin pointer on and off several times thinking it was not working properly. Now you got me wondering what i covered back up ......

Much the same is true with my Etrac--if it can see the coin, it's usually the preferable machine to use, for better ID and depth info, etc. But there are some things the Nox sees that it can't. One gent (I believe he used an Explorer) found the Nox coil to be finicky, in that it was less forgiving in the placement of the coil. I'm beginning to think he might be right.

I really do enjoy using both machines for different reasons. I know the Nox can see some targets that the CTX can't, but sometimes its nice to do some selective digging and for that job FBS rules the roost IMHO.

I am guilty of covering up holes where i had a good signal and i just could not find it after digging. I have noticed it is harder to find with fbs and the multi iq. I noticed it is much easier to find with deus, impact in a disturbed environment. I have even turned my pin pointer on and off several times thinking it was not working properly. Now you got me wondering what i covered back up ......

Yep I've noticed the same. Locating the target once out of the hole can sometimes be tricky with FBS, especially when iron is present. Thats not the first time I've almost given up on a good target that somehow disappeared once out of the ground.

I buried a clad quarter on edge. I just pushed it into the ground a little below the surface. The nox 800 would hit the quarter better in field than it would in park. I find that I get a better response to coins in field than I do in park.

But I haven't missed with the nox 800 as mush as I would like. The nox 800 is my wife's and she has been using so much I haven't had much of an opportunity to use it. I have another nox 800 on the way for myself. Then I will be able to experiment more with it.

I was one of the ones lucky enough to get a Nox 800 the first week or so that they came out. After a few months with it trying different settings and programs and comparing it side by side with our CTXs I came to a few conclusions. Wide open field mode would hit targets cleaner than park. Applying ANY discrimination, even just blocking out some tab signals, would result in making some of the "good" high-tone signals not show up as well for some reason. But if you then switch to wide open you will hear there's a good target there. There ended up being several targets found with the CTXs that I went over with the Nox before digging and couldn't get or get good enough to say I'd dig that but there were not many in all our hunts that the Nox found that the CTX didn't also nail with the 6" coil. I've traded the Nox and old model CTX for a brand new CTX. Good machine for 900$ and very fast but CTX is still king in my eyes and worth the extra $. Also, unless it was just a hiccup in the first batches we got, the dang depth gauge on those things is useless! I know I will get flamed for saying the new Nox is not king of the world, but just giving an honest opinion. :lol:

Last edited:
Good info

Well back to saving $$ looking fo a good used CTX. B-Day in July have been kidding the family for 3 years. No new CTX yet..:D

Rattle, if you get them out head to head again and a similar situation arises, before you dig try lowering the nox recovery to say a 5 or even 4 and see if the tone is better or even park 1?

I know when i hunt in recovery 7 i get a short chopped tone on a silver in trash and then when i warble over it i get a solid and ID and better tone.

I will try it with my NOX next time i am in the wild hunting and get a masked silver coin and lower my recovery and see where i lose it, or if i get a better tone and keep the target.

I was one of the ones lucky enough to get a Nox 800 the first week or so that they came out. After a few months with it trying different settings and programs and comparing it side by side with our CTXs I came to a few conclusions. Wide open field mode would hit targets cleaner than park. Applying ANY discrimination, even just blocking out some tab signals, would result in making some of the "good" high-tone signals not show up as well for some reason. But if you then switch to wipe open you will hear there's a good target there. There ended up being several targets found with the CTXs that I went over with the Nox before digging and couldn't get or get good enough to say I'd dig that but there were not many in all our hunts that the Nox found that the CTX didn't also nail with the 6" coil. I've traded the Nox and old model CTX for a brand new CTX. Good machine for 900$ and very fast but CTX is still king in my eyes and worth the extra $. Also, unless it was just a hiccup in the first batches we got, the dang depth gauge on those things is useless! I know I will get flamed for saying the new Nox is not king of the world, but just giving an honest opinion. :lol:

Nice info, but i do think there is not enough time on the NOX to figure out all the little Nuances that are to be discovered with time. CTX and Etrac have been many years, wonder what we will have discovered in that time about the nox? I don't think anyone will flame you for that write up it is good stuff.

I was one of the ones lucky enough to get a Nox 800 the first week or so that they came out. After a few months with it trying different settings and programs and comparing it side by side with our CTXs I came to a few conclusions. Wide open field mode would hit targets cleaner than park. Applying ANY discrimination, even just blocking out some tab signals, would result in making some of the "good" high-tone signals not show up as well for some reason. But if you then switch to wipe open you will hear there's a good target there. There ended up being several targets found with the CTXs that I went over with the Nox before digging and couldn't get or get good enough to say I'd dig that but there were not many in all our hunts that the Nox found that the CTX didn't also nail with the 6" coil. I've traded the Nox and old model CTX for a brand new CTX. Good machine for 900$ and very fast but CTX is still king in my eyes and worth the extra $. Also, unless it was just a hiccup in the first batches we got, the dang depth gauge on those things is useless! I know I will get flamed for saying the new Nox is not king of the world, but just giving an honest opinion. :lol:

Thanks. Helpful info....

I have no doubt that I could’ve got a better audio response on that target by lowering the recovery speed or changing modes, but to me that would be taking away one of the Nox’s biggest advantages and I wanted to show how the detectors perform when running the way I have them set up for that site. The place I’m hunting in the video is blanketed with iron so setting up for maximum separation just made more sense to me. Gold coins are known to exist there too, so Park 2 or Field 2 with frequencies being weighted toward lower conductors seems more logical than Park 1 IMHO. Not saying I won’t try the other modes too, just explaining why I had the detector set up the way it was. I will eventually end up hunting every square inch of that place in all modes. [emoji3] I’ve been running a recovery speed of 7 there for a while now and am used to the clipped audio response. Like I mentioned, I’ve also hit targets with the Nox that the CTX either gave a really crappy signal on, or no signal at all. I think something was just funky with that target and the Nox didn’t like it as much as the CTX did for whatever reason. After spending so much time testing handicapped targets I guess it shouldn’t be surprising to me. I’ve seen it before with the Deus and other machines. Some detectors just hit certain targets in certain situations better than others. The perfect detector that can tag any target with a good signal doesn’t exist and probably never will. What you see in that video doesn’t change my opinion of the Equinox what-so-ever. I still think it’s a great machine with excellent separation abilities. On that particular day the CTX just happened to like that particular target more than the Nox, and I believe in posting actual honest results in my videos whether I like them or not. I still love my CTX too! If you don’t mind creeping along with a slow sweep speed, it can definitely pick out some goodies from the iron. What it lacks in speed it more than makes up for with its rock solid TID, tones, and Target Trace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom