ATPro in saltwater

It will work in the wet, but you will have to sacrifice depth for stability. As plain and honest as I can be. For recent drops the AT Pro can find them. But people with multi frequency machines are hitting deeper than you in the wet. People with PI machines are hitting a lot deeper than you. If you know that gold sinks quickly and depth is everything on a beach you have your answer. In the water you have to ask yourself how deep can one dig a hole before it fills in? So you might be on more of an equal field there.

Last edited:
I use my AT-Pro when I hit the beach once a year. I found a matchbox car at 16 inches(approximately) last year in the wet sand. I did have to turn down senstivity a few notches but was still getting coins @ 8+ inches in the sand(wet and dry).

Water is definitely a good conductor as 8" is about the max for mine on land.

I hunted myrtle beach wet sand and shallow water, gb was at 15 and sens was about half. No problems and dug clad quarter at about 10" at water line. Be sure to gb whenever you change sand conditions, wet to dry ect. Mine auto gb to around 22 and dropped manually to 15. GL. Tom

If you have an AT Pro already and want to try it at the beach, go for it. You wont get the depth of the Multi-Frequency VLFs or PIs but it should work on stuff up to 8" or so?

Now if you are thinking about buying an AT Pro for use at mainly saltwater beaches, keep looking... multi-frequency machines get probably 50% more depth, and PIs probably get double the depth on wet salty sand.

My AT Pro won't settle down no matter what I do to it on the beach here in Block Island, Rhode Island.

The sand is dark and wet and no matter what I do for GB and how low I turn down the sensitivity it's all over the place.

Some beaches with black or mineralized sand will keep any single frequency detector from working properly. Then there are the white sand beaches where the detector will work great.

It will work in the wet, but you will have to sacrifice depth for stability. As plain and honest as I can be. For recent drops the AT Pro can find them. But people with multi frequency machines are hitting deeper than you in the wet. People with PI machines are hitting a lot deeper than you. If you know that gold sinks quickly and depth is everything on a beach you have your answer. In the water you have to ask yourself how deep can one dig a hole before it fills in? So you might be on more of an equal field there.

Totally agree, I tried my AT in the salt water once. Never again. Didnt seem worth it. On the dry beach wasnt bad though.

"We are happy that you`re pleased with your AT Pro. In order to get the best performance in your salt water beach environment , Garrett suggests you use a PI detector ( pulse induction ) instead of a VLF detector. As mentioned in the owner`s manual , the saltwater environment is challenging for any Continuous Wave (VLF) detector..."

AT Pro Great at Beaches

;)Just like the guys said, turn down the sensitivity and you will be amazed at the performance...

I have heard mixed things about the AT Pro in the water some say it works some say its a waste of time

If you strictly hunt the beach then there are better proven machines. If you want an all around good most place machine the ATPro is great. I can confirm that wet sand at the shoreline is the zone for the ATPro. I can also confirm at extremely low tides you will do just fine as well at the right settings and swing slow. I have dug enough successful deep holes to know the depth is there. I couldn't imagine digging much deeper regularly. And it does fine on the black wet sand too.

Regularly set your ground balance. Set your sensativity just shy of the falsing. All metal and dig all consistent signals.

If you strictly hunt the beach then there are better proven machines. If you want an all around good most place machine the ATPro is great. I can confirm that wet sand at the shoreline is the zone for the ATPro. I can also confirm at extremely low tides you will do just fine as well at the right settings and swing slow. I have dug enough successful deep holes to know the depth is there. I couldn't imagine digging much deeper regularly. And it does fine on the black wet sand too.

Regularly set your ground balance. Set your sensativity just shy of the falsing. All metal and dig all consistent signals.

I must have been doing something wrong because I couldn't get the thing to settle down on the wet black sand on Block Island no matter what I did. Changed settings, ground balance, sensitivity, slowed down, swing slow - you name it - nothing worked.

It was fine in the dry sand and in the wet sand that wasn't black but that wet black sand was tough.

Black sand mineral properties will make a single frequency machine go bonkers. You hear from people how they had no trouble at all with the AT pro while wet sand hunting. Why? They were not hunting black sand. Minelab and other multi frequency machines are made to handle this environment. But there is a trade off for them as well. They will lose the ability to find low VDI gold once it gets to a certain depth. Some people call it small gold dead. This is where a PI detector can make a big difference. As long as the trash and iron allow for it. So there you have it. Three different kinds of detectors all with their limitations. No detector does it all. And finding gold on certain beaches requires an operator to use their brain and detector.

I must have been doing something wrong because I couldn't get the thing to settle down on the wet black sand on Block Island no matter what I did. Changed settings, ground balance, sensitivity, slowed down, swing slow - you name it - nothing worked.

It was fine in the dry sand and in the wet sand that wasn't black but that wet black sand was tough.

Are you using the DD or a concentric coil? I changed to using DD coils exclusively on my Vaquero. They are indispensible for prospecting- lots of black sand-filled arroyos(washes) out here that made the Vaq. with stock concentric coil impossible to use. Our ground out here is ridiculously mineralized as well. I've even detected quite successfully on tailings piles with the DD coils.
The DDs work great for me even on almost pure black sand.
I understand your BS is not wet with salt water, but I've used my setup in San Diego in the saltwater with decent results as well.

according to garrett the ATP is multifreq, it has like 3 or 4 freqs it can operate on.

Thats a good point and I remember them discussing it in relation to power lines etc. Has anyone actually tried to change the frequency to see if it worked better in the salt under different frequencies? It didn't seem like it was enough of a change to matter but worth trying I guess.

Back
Top Bottom