• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Has anyone here ever found a Seated dollar?

Yeah....give up metal detecting.....:lol::lol::lol: That’s a knee slapper right there Mark! Didn’t take long for Blaise to pinch you on that one!:lol:
Yeah, left myself open for that one, but on the other hand I guess I'll just have to keep digging until I'm seeing the plug from the downside. I was hoping subliminal, or karma or something would intervene today, naw , one wheat 1936 in the roots no less. Oh well, next time. HH Mark

Nope, not yet anyways. :lol:

I believe seated dollars and trade dollars are actually two different coins:

Gobrecht Dollars (Seated without stars; 1836 - 1839)
Seated Liberty Dollars (1840 - 1873)
Trade Dollars (1873 - 1885)

:D

Keep going Wolf, you just never know! If anyone had said I’d dig 2 Morgan’s in a span of 2 years I’d have told them they’re nuts. But it happened. And I do believe you’re right about the Seated and Trade dollars being separate things. The Seated was just the “dollar” of that series and Trade dollars were meant to go overseas. Regardless....if any of us found EITHER version it would be a Kodak moment for sure...:lol:

They are out there and I was lucky enough to find one earlier this summer at a local 1800s Colonial Farmhouse. I have to admit to not knowing how rare it was until I posted it on the TreasureNet forum.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/610857-short-but-productive-hunt.html#post6229669

Just in case nobody told you yet...many times, people drilled holes in money to sew into clothing so they wouldn’t get lost. The practice was actually quite common. Maybe they didn’t have pockets quite dialed in at that time, who knows. That is the first Seated dollar I’ve seen anyone dig, and over the years, millions upon millions of coins have been dug. It’s SO rare to find one that it borders on “impossible”. So you should feel damn good about it! Congratulations on that beauty!

Thank you very much! I did learn about the practice of drilling holes to put them on strings or sew into clothes. I am holding out hope it was on a string with several, yet to be found, other coins. I have been back to the spot a few times but haven't found any yet. I will keep at it though and post if I find anything good.

I found a seated dollar about 30 years ago and I still have it.
I found it in a jewelery store.
It is a gold, one dollar coin, and it is seated on a gold ring.
Does that count? :D

Nope, me neither... BUT I’m working my way up to it. Have found a few Seated dimes and one Seated quarter. Guess I’ll need a Half before finishing up with the Dollar. Hard one to lose in the first place so even harder to find.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Back
Top Bottom