ATpro question

Mack

Elite Member
I have had the Pro for about a month and really have been enjoying it. I have been hunting based on sound and not really paying much attention to the VDI. I have been digging only solid high tones, (loud or soft) because I'm only interested in coins. My question is has anyone found that any of the deeper coins they have dug using pro mode aren't necessary always a high tone and maybe more softer middle tones? I don't want to miss any potential silver that my coil is crossing!

Thanks!

They should ring up in the right tone if there is silver and the deeper the softer the tone, but I have usually dug what I hear and the VDI and it is usually correct.

But now that I have my Etrac, my AT is kinda lonely...LOL

If your hunting for deep coins, use pro mode, custom, iron at 0, iron audio on, nothing disc'ed out, sens at full. This will give you three tones, low iron grunt, mid tones and high tones for coins. These settings are the deepest I have used. You will hear everything in the ground, but only have to dig the high tones. I us this but I dig everything above 40. It does pay off, four 14 K rings is 600 in melt alone, a lot of Ohio dirt digging but it was worth it. Silver is nice but gold in the hole is awesome. HH. Tom

Yep really deep silver coins can & most often do make different noises & are jumpy on the VDI, It just takes some practice & digging a few really deep holes to learn to tell the difference in deep trash & deep coins.. :grin:

If the target is deep the VDI and tone can be inconsistant. Deep targets need to be dug. Never trust a screen on deep targets. It doesn't matter what detector it is.

I found dimes at 7.5 and 8 inches deep and although the signal was soft, it was still a high tone.

I've read however, that sometimes, the vicinity of iron or trash can make a high tone target sound like a mid tone.

Personally, I dig all mid and high tones that are 4 inches or deeper.

I've dug deep silver dimes that sounded like can tabs and the VDI was in the low 70s. I don't pass up much that's deeper than 6 inches.

I found dimes at 7.5 and 8 inches deep and although the signal was soft, it was still a high tone.

I've read however, that sometimes, the vicinity of iron or trash can make a high tone target sound like a mid tone.

Personally, I dig all mid and high tones that are 4 inches or deeper.

I was referring to the 8 to 12 inch coins that I've dug with my at-pro..
One of my hunting buddies Greek2me went over one of these super deep targets & his exact words where "you actually dig that @#$%".. :lol:

I'm definitely going to get in the habit of digging the softer sounds regardless of tone.

Thanks for the replies!!

I was referring to the 8 to 12 inch coins that I've dug with my at-pro..
One of my hunting buddies Greek2me went over one of these super deep targets & his exact words where "you actually dig that @#$%".. :lol:

:lol: yup, thats what i said.

I am still wondering how many targets I passed up as just junk cause they were blips or soft tones on the AT Pro. :(

G2M

I took my AT to a beach for the first time last weekend and was stunned by the depth of the targets.

I had to keep telling myself to trust the machine and keep digging. There was always stuff there too.

At the end of last year, I realized something that helped me begin pulling deep deep coins. I would notice every once in a while, that I would get a high pitch on the initial pass and then the target would be jumpy...bouncing from iron to the 60s and everywhere in between. But I noticed the depth indicator was pegged, so I dug. Following this pattern I dug more silver in my last two trips before the groundmfroze than I had in the entire year (about 7-8 silver coins). And this was at a place I had hunted before.

I'm anxious to get out and test this "pattern" again:
1. Get an initial high tone
2. Repeatable signal...may lock in the 50-60s or bounce
3. Depth pegged.

If those three conditions exist, I'm digging it.

And for what it's worth, try doing an air test and notice what a coin does as you get to the limits of detection. I'm not talking about specific vdi numbers, rather, notice that the signal jumps.

Finally, this is all based on my experiences and perceptions. It's just the way I'm still learning my machine.

Interesting read. I'm anxious to learn how to use my newly acquired ATP at deeper depths. I only currently feel confident at 4" and less and capable at the 4"-6" range.

My current goal is to start testing deeper waters.

Back
Top Bottom