Good finds! 1931-S cent, Barber, Silvers, 12 coin Wheatie Spill, Tokens!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I've had a good couple of recent hunts! I went back to the old 1900's mansion where I found the 1876-S Seated Quarter, to see what else was there. I started in on the large tree shaded lawn, again, the signals were pretty sparse, but I did get 5 wheat pennies back to 1920, and some silvers. The first good find was a 85 signal on my AT Pro, it turned out to be a 1895-O Barber Quarter! A nearby find (83-84 signal) produced a 1923-P Mercury Dime, and the last shiny coin was a first year 1946-S Silver Rosie, very deep. The other good find was a 1902 Indian Head Cent. I also found some early brass shotgun shell bases.

Yesterday, I headed up to Missoula with a friend (AT Max) and we ended up spending the whole day detecting, with about 8 hours put in. I was able to get us permission at about 8 homes. The first four yards were a big disappointment as we only found one Wheat Cent and just modern coins. We headed off to another area, and that neighborhood produced well.

The first yard in this area was huge, but had been altered with new soil and lawn. I did get one good 79-80 signal on the AT Pro that seemed to cover a bit larger area than just one coin. Sure enough, after digging the plug and chasing a deep signal (8" or so) I began to pull out wheat penny after wheat penny. There were 12 coins in the spill, dated 1917-1935. After getting home and checking them out, I had a 1931 with a mintmark. I took the coin to the local coin shop and they agreed with me that it was a 31-S, a coin that I had not yet been able to find!

The second yard produced a couple of early Military buttons for my friend, and a few wheaties for me along with a fair amount of clad quarters and dimes. The third yard had that deep topsoil like the dirt had been brought in, plus damp soil and thick grass. I was able to squeak out some deep wheat pennies from the yard, but the adjacent curb strip really produced, with a 1944 Mercury Dime (44 ladies that's me!), a cool Lead play toy gun, a 1925 Buffalo Nickel, A Missoula Street Railway Co. token, and a Castro Bros. Phonograph Parlors token. They were in business in Salt Lake City ca 1904, and in 1911 in Butte, Montana on West Park Street. This curb strip also produced a very nice 1914-S Lincoln cent!

I noticed the neighbors across the street shooting hoops, so I set my detector down to seek permission. The very nice lady mentioned that their yard had been detected a short time before, but that my friend and I were welcome to try. Well... whoever it was missed some good stuff. I started in along the street sidewalk and immediately began finding clad quarters, even a stack of 3 that rang up really well. A few more grids into the yard I found a couple of wheat cents, so I knew there was hope that perhaps a Silver was left. Near the sidewalk to the house I did run across a choice 1945 Mercury Dime.

So... a good couple of hunts, thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 441
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 419
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 424
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 424
  • coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 413
Correct ! We do not allow our key-date S mints to travel east of the Mississippi, RIGHT ? :police:

Yes Mr. PoPo!

Congrats on some great finds! 12 wheat spill! Dang!!!
I need to get more yard permissions. Happy Hunting!!

Thank you DJ! Yep, yard permissions are the best. It is amazing what going from a previously detected curb strip to crossing that sidewalk and getting into a virgin yard does for finding good coins!

Great hunting👍 I have started spending my fifties and Forties wheat cents now(not worth much).

Last edited:
Congrats on all the nice finds. I bet the signal on the Barber Quarter started the smile and the first peek at it in the dirt completed it! Very Nice!

Great hunting👍 I have started spending my fifties and Forties wheat cents now(not worth much).

Thank you metal! I've dug several thousand wheaties in the last few years, right now they are in baggies, you are right about the value being about one cent. I'll probably just hang on to them for now, though I appreciate your idea and might just do that.

Congrats on all the nice finds. I bet the signal on the Barber Quarter started the smile and the first peek at it in the dirt completed it! Very Nice!

Thanks Charlie! Yep, saw that silver rim and being an old home, was excited to see what particular quarter it was.

nice minty mercs!

Thank you TPmetal, yes, probably AU for sure!

Well David, you score again. Nice group of finds there, and the Mercs are always welcome. Glad your partner also had some luck. When do you think you'll get some precipitation to soften up the ground a bit? I'd like to get back there sometime.

Great finds , pictures and post oh shiny one !

Thank you Soil Surgeon!

Looks like a great day to me. Nice finds!

Ken

Thank you Ken!

Congrats on the finds especially that barber and the 1931s. I have only found one of those, they are tough to find.

Thank you Jam! Yeah, that 31-S is a tuff pull, I've probably found 3,000+ wheat pennies in the 4 years I've detected, and this is my first.

Well David, you score again. Nice group of finds there, and the Mercs are always welcome. Glad your partner also had some luck. When do you think you'll get some precipitation to soften up the ground a bit? I'd like to get back there sometime.

Thank you Gale! The ground is still very detectable here, so let me know when you would like to motor over. I think Paul was interested too. We really don't get a rainy season in the fall, it just goes to winter sometime in late Nov. early Dec. Our rain comes in the spring here.

Back
Top Bottom