New permission - over 3 acres - used long ago as trailer park - now unused open field (Update: 10/31 Saturday hunt)

GKL

Forum Supporter
While I am hopeful there still might be a few undiscovered extra good finds in all that large of an area, I kinda think since it's been so long since the area was used as a trailer park that it's likely been detected already in the past based on what I've found my initial hunt there today.

Hey, even so, I'll at least be getting a lot of exercise detecting over 3 acres :laughing: which should keep me busy for quite a while !

It was nice out today, less humid, so I was able to do a 5 hour hunt on my initial hunt there. (and it's only about 5 minutes from home !)

My initial hunt I tried detecting a little of various areas over the 3+ acre area to see if maybe one area was extra productive, nothing really stood out except one area had several of the pennies I found and one of the dimes. I did find that a good bit of the area had gravel mixed in with the dirt under the grass, one area was more sandy, and some areas were asphalt and some crumbling asphalt, one area had some concrete pads, and some areas actually had easier to dig regular soil and grass.

Anyhow, my hunt today resulted in finding 31 pieces of metal trash and 11 coins, but no silver, the coins were 2 clad dimes and 9 pennies (no wheaties). It took about 1/2 hour to find the first penny as it is a somewhat trashy area.

I had to skip over a lot of good signals because I still got a signal with a raised coil so they were likely large trash like a crushed aluminum can, and sure enough when I dug a raised coil signal just to be sure - it was a crushed aluminum can :roll: :laughing:

I did have this one dig where I thought I might have found my first dollar or half-dollar coin as it was around that size and had a reeded edge !!!! but it was covered with dirt and cleaning it off a chunk of dirt popped out of the center - turned out it was a flat nut with a reeded edge :lol:

Anyhow I know I need to go back and clean some of that large trash out in case some of them are hiding good signals. (rain could keep me away a couple days this week)

I did find some historic aerial photos that gave me and idea where structures were at back when it was used.

That permission should keep me busy for quite a while, and since it is not a public park I have the whole area all to myself :lol:

Anyhow, here's a few pics, one of the good finds, one of the trash, and some of the area.

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200915.jpg3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_trash_20200915.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_20200915.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park2.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park.jpg

Last edited:
Keep us posted!
Hope you'll have a treasure trove of great finds !
the bad targets Will give a new Meaning to "TRAILER TRASH " :laughing:

Looks like a good place to hunt! I'll bet you will find a wheatie or silver if you keep at it.

Thanks, I'm hoping some of the trash is masking some good finds which hopefully will show up once I remove some of the trash.

Keep us posted!
Hope you'll have a treasure trove of great finds !
the bad targets Will give a new Meaning to "TRAILER TRASH " :laughing:

:laughing: Thanks, I have to remember to clean up some canslaw I saw spread over one area, should have grabbed it when I saw it but I was so focused on my initial scanning of the new permission :lol: I'll see about posting after my next hunt there, busy tomorrow, rain Thursday and Friday, but that should help make the ground even moister, anyhow, can't wait till my next hunt there !

YOU LUCKY DOG ! AWESOME Location ! GOOD LUCK !:yes:

Thanks, I used the free trial of onX maps to check ownership of properties in the area and saw that property was under control by the same company I got permission from to detect a local motel, so I asked the same supervisor about detecting that area and he said "have at it !" - of course I had explained to him how I try to carefully replace my plugs so it looks like I never dug in the first place.

Take your time and hit it good , maybe you can bring a toy wagon along to haul your tools , snacks , water for those long hunts.

I think next hunt I'll park my car on the lot since I know the ground is firm, today I parked on one side, I bring a water with me and have extra pinpointer batteries in my bag in the car I use to bring supplies in. I carry my pinpointer handheld digger and finds bag in a bag that clips around my waist and I carry my 31" Sampson shovel and Nox 800.

You'll find something good , I just know it . Nice photos !

Thanks, hey with all that area to detect ya gotta hope there might be at least one really good find, it will definitely be a fun "treasure" hunt :lol:

At the very least I'll get plenty of exercise, my detecting hunts has been helping me take off some extra pounds ! :lol:

Seems like a great permission. Close to home, large and no telling what you might find. Probably not a lot of older stuff but still lots of possibilities given multiple families and most likely some kids living there also.

Good luck
Ken

Seems like a great permission. Close to home, large and no telling what you might find. Probably not a lot of older stuff but still lots of possibilities given multiple families and most likely some kids living there also.

Good luck
Ken

Thanks, being only about 5 minutes from home is definitely a big plus, the less travel time to and from a hunting site means more hunting time at the site itself !

With as large as that area is I have to believe there are indeed some good possibilities waiting to be found.

Should be a buunnccchhh of targets there:cool3:

Thanks, I'm hoping even if the area was detected at some time in the past, that there are still some really good finds being masked by large trash (like crushed aluminum cans) that previous hunters (if there were any) didn't bother removing.

Thanks, I'm hoping even if the area was detected at some time in the past, that there are still some really good finds being masked by large trash (like crushed aluminum cans) that previous hunters (if there were any) didn't bother removing.

Yep,,, that's the way I have to approach everywhere I hunt cause all my permissions have been pounded by others.

Lots of history down Winnsboro way.

Yep,,, that's the way I have to approach everywhere I hunt cause all my permissions have been pounded by others.

Lots of history down Winnsboro way.

Yep, the town of Winnsboro officially started in 1785, I even detected some at the Mt. Zion walking park that is about a block away from the Cornwallis house. Didn't find much there yet, but like you said, some likely already hit some of these places long before we tried them :lol:

I think the better chances of really old finds is in getting permissions at private homes that have not yet been detected. Not that other places could still have some unfound goodies and it's still fun looking for them :D

My wife is a descendant of James Kincaid. Lots or research has gone on in my house around the Kincaid-Anderson House and the surrounding area. We have met the new owner of the house, but are certainly not cozy enough to ask for permission to detect,,,,, not yet anyhow.

My wife is a descendant of James Kincaid. Lots or research has gone on in my house around the Kincaid-Anderson House and the surrounding area. We have met the new owner of the house, but are certainly not cozy enough to ask for permission to detect,,,,, not yet anyhow.

Wow, that is neat !!!! Sure hope you get that permission !

I'm guessing that likely is the same Kincaid that this road in Winnsboro is named after: "Kincaid Bridge Road"
KBR_Winnsboro.jpg

Looks like a great spot. Keep at it, ya never know.

Thanks, hey, half the fun is not knowing what you might find !

it was something before a trailer park. i lived in one, but clean and nice at the time, for what it was, blue collar folks. The end of park the guru who taught me to detect found a house site on his lot.. rifle flints, feather edge china bits, and a George Washington 50 yr commemorative button... you never know....

it was something before a trailer park. i lived in one, but clean and nice at the time, for what it was, blue collar folks. The end of park the guru who taught me to detect found a house site on his lot.. rifle flints, feather edge china bits, and a George Washington 50 yr commemorative button... you never know....

Great finds, especially that button, congrats !!!!

Good point, thanks ! The earliest aerial photo of that area I could find was from 1968, not sure what was there then as the photo was not very clear but just had a very few structures near the front edge, another unclear photo from 1994 seems to show it might have been a trailer park then, and the last photo showing it was still a trailer park before being cleared out the next year was from 2005.

.....but I agree that with the long history of this town there might possibly have been people using that area even in the 1800's or earlier. (not a trailer, but we do live a double-wide manufactured home that was pulled here like a trailer)

Great finds, especially that button, congrats !!!!

Good point, thanks ! The earliest aerial photo of that area I could find was from 1968, not sure what was there then as the photo was not very clear but just had a very few structures near the front edge, another unclear photo from 1994 seems to show it might have been a trailer park then, and the last photo showing it was still a trailer park before being cleared out the next year was from 2005.

.....but I agree that with the long history of this town there might possibly have been people using that area even in the 1800's or earlier. (not a trailer, but we do live a double-wide manufactured home that was pulled here like a trailer)

A trailer park that far back most likely had a play ground and a coin operated laundry mat , possibly a pool . The one i lived in around 1980 did and it had been there quite a few years before i moved there. Would the county records department have records of what was there before , might of been part of a big farm.

Back
Top Bottom