New permission - over 3 acres - used long ago as trailer park - now unused open field (Update: 10/31 Saturday hunt)

A trailer park that far back most likely had a play ground and a coin operated laundry mat , possibly a pool . The one i lived in around 1980 did and it had been there quite a few years before i moved there. Would the county records department have records of what was there before , might of been part of a big farm.

It's hard to tell because the old aerial photos are no where near as clear as satellite photos, but from how it looked back then it seemed like it was a fairly basic trailer park.

For those not familiar with the web site where you can search for old aerial photos of areas around where you live click on the link below, check out the area where you live, it's kinda like going back in a time machine :lol:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

UPDATE: got back to this permission for my 2nd hunt there today (Saturday).....

It was a shorter hunt than last time, only about 2 1/2 hours, will see about getting back there again on Monday.

Anyhow, after seeing a thread about someone finding V nickels digging deep 13 TIDs I thought I'd look for some of those at first, hey, you can hope :lol:

After taking up a good chunk of time digging 2 really deep holes with 13 TIDs looking for nickels and finding none I figured I'd get back to just looking for any (hopefully) good signals to dig.

It was about an hour from when I started before finding my first coin - a dime, overall I found 9 pieces of trash, 2 dimes and 2 pennies.

I might have to rename this permission "The Dime and Penny Field" as that is the only types of coins I have found there so far :laughing:

I seemed to have some digs where the depth gauge indicated a lot deeper depth than what the target was, so somehow it seems the depth indicator got fooled and I dug a lot deeper than I needed to :lol:

Anyhow there is still a WHOLE lot of area to cover at that permission yet so I am still hoping for a few better than average finds, in the meantime I am glad to at least find some coins and not just dig all trash :lol:

.....hey, I can appreciate that a thread about average (so far) hunts with no spectacular finds might not interest some and I don't blame them :lol: but at least the noobs who see this might realize there will be some hunts with very average finds, it's just part of the hobby, and most detectorists are able to enjoy all their hunts, even the ones with the average finds :lol:

Here is a pic of all the finds and closer pics of the coins.
Hey, 4 coins and 9 trash items is not a bad ratio !
3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200919_all_finds.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_S20200919.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_S20200919b.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_S20200919c.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_S20200919d.jpg

Last edited:
Gary, you certainly worked for those coins! I enjoy reading your posts. I like seeing where you are hunting. You seem to have a lot of smaller parks and interesting areas like the hotel. Most of the places I’ve hunted so far have given me nothing but average finds and that is ok. I never have a bad day detecting even if the spot only yields a few coins. You definitely start to see trends in these spots. Look at the hotel and this field, older locations, not terribly high traffic, yielding a lot of older trash and a few dimes and pennies. Go hit an active sports field and you find mostly quarters. Not every spot is a winner. I’ve hunted a couple of older parks here and literally have found nothing but junk. I’ve been hunting a sports park very near my house and it has been yielding a ton of clad, way more than I would have ever imagined. I have a couple of wooded sites I want to hunt but I’ve got to wait for some of this foliage to die off.

Oh, and the nickels will get you every time. I found like 4 at the beach this past week. Every one I dug kind of surprised me because the VDI was off. Every time I have a rock solid signal that I am sure is a nickel, it turns out to be something else.

Keep plugging away and keep having fun!

Gary, you certainly worked for those coins! I enjoy reading your posts. I like seeing where you are hunting. You seem to have a lot of smaller parks and interesting areas like the hotel. Most of the places I’ve hunted so far have given me nothing but average finds and that is ok. I never have a bad day detecting even if the spot only yields a few coins. You definitely start to see trends in these spots. Look at the hotel and this field, older locations, not terribly high traffic, yielding a lot of older trash and a few dimes and pennies. Go hit an active sports field and you find mostly quarters. Not every spot is a winner. I’ve hunted a couple of older parks here and literally have found nothing but junk. I’ve been hunting a sports park very near my house and it has been yielding a ton of clad, way more than I would have ever imagined. I have a couple of wooded sites I want to hunt but I’ve got to wait for some of this foliage to die off.

Oh, and the nickels will get you every time. I found like 4 at the beach this past week. Every one I dug kind of surprised me because the VDI was off. Every time I have a rock solid signal that I am sure is a nickel, it turns out to be something else.

Keep plugging away and keep having fun!

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement, and while I wish we both were having more productive hunts, at least I know my "average" hunts are not highly unusual :lol:

...and I can relate and agree with when you said: "I never have a bad day detecting even if the spot only yields a few coins." while someone who is not into detecting might not understand that, somehow simply just being out there hunting and digging is fun in itself even when the finds are average. I guess it's like how some people enjoy going fishing even if they don't catch much, they simply enjoy being out on the boat trying.

Thanks for the tip about active sports fields, while some of those areas themselves have reopened, I don't think they have been very active this year, the hunts I did near the end of August (and posted a thread about) at a county recreation park that includes a baseball field and concession stand I think yielded more coins than any other location so far, but still was not a lot of coins, and you could definitely tell they were not fresh drops :lol: they all looked like they had been in the dirt for quite a while. So that kinda shows there likely have not been fresh drops, or very few, at least none that I could find.

I know what you mean about nickel VDIs, sometimes I think I'm going to dig a nickel but it's not, but one time when I was digging the motel permission and was about to finish up my hunt, someone came by and I was explaining a little about my detector and said if I get a "13" VDI it could be a nickel, it's no guarantee, but a reasonable chance it is, right after they left I detected another spot, got a 13 and it was a nickel :lol: too bad they were not still there to see that :lol:

Interesting you should mention wooded sites, I have been considering trying some woods hunting too just to see if I might find some old relics, I don't have to go far as the edge of our back and side yards goes into miles of woods, but I also was waiting for it to get more into fall season, just wear bright orange or a reflective vest if there are hunters in the woods you detect.

Anyhow, we don't have any really large parks in our small town, but quite a few small mini-parks, but they don't seem to be active enough to replenish the area with fresh drops, what I'm really trying to stay alert for is opportunities to ask for better private property permissions as I think that might be the best chance at finding some really older coins, especially if you can get a permission that has not been hunted yet, or hunted very little.

When you said: "Not every spot is a winner. I’ve hunted a couple of older parks here and literally have found nothing but junk." it reminded me how I am determined to "try" to find at least one coin per hunt, if I don't I still have fun trying, but I had times I extended my hunt a little longer just trying to not leave totally coinless :lol: (I think my "totally" coinless hunts have been pretty rare though with my Nox, even if it's just one or two coins :lol:) Also, when I am ready to finish my hunt for the day, I like to have my last dig of the hunt to be a non-trash find, so sometimes I'll dig a few more targets trying to end my hunt on a coin and not trash :lol: doesn't always happen, but fun trying anyhow :lol:

Hope your next hunt is better than average, but have fun anyhow ! :lol:

sports parks

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement, and while I wish we both were having more productive hunts, at least I know my "average" hunts are not highly unusual :lol:

...and I can relate and agree with when you said: "I never have a bad day detecting even if the spot only yields a few coins." while someone who is not into detecting might not understand that, somehow simply just being out there hunting and digging is fun in itself even when the finds are average. I guess it's like how some people enjoy going fishing even if they don't catch much, they simply enjoy being out on the boat trying.

Thanks for the tip about active sports fields, while some of those areas themselves have reopened, I don't think they have been very active this year, the hunts I did near the end of August (and posted a thread about) at a county recreation park that includes a baseball field and concession stand I think yielded more coins than any other location so far, but still was not a lot of coins, and you could definitely tell they were not fresh drops :lol: they all looked like they had been in the dirt for quite a while. So that kinda shows there likely have not been fresh drops, or very few, at least none that I could find.

I know what you mean about nickel VDIs, sometimes I think I'm going to dig a nickel but it's not, but one time when I was digging the motel permission and was about to finish up my hunt, someone came by and I was explaining a little about my detector and said if I get a "13" VDI it could be a nickel, it's no guarantee, but a reasonable chance it is, right after they left I detected another spot, got a 13 and it was a nickel :lol: too bad they were not still there to see that :lol:

Interesting you should mention wooded sites, I have been considering trying some woods hunting too just to see if I might find some old relics, I don't have to go far as the edge of our back and side yards goes into miles of woods, but I also was waiting for it to get more into fall season, just wear bright orange or a reflective vest if there are hunters in the woods you detect.

Anyhow, we don't have any really large parks in our small town, but quite a few small mini-parks, but they don't seem to be active enough to replenish the area with fresh drops, what I'm really trying to stay alert for is opportunities to ask for better private property permissions as I think that might be the best chance at finding some really older coins, especially if you can get a permission that has not been hunted yet, or hunted very little.

When you said: "Not every spot is a winner. I’ve hunted a couple of older parks here and literally have found nothing but junk." it reminded me how I am determined to "try" to find at least one coin per hunt, if I don't I still have fun trying, but I had times I extended my hunt a little longer just trying to not leave totally coinless :lol: (I think my "totally" coinless hunts have been pretty rare though with my Nox, even if it's just one or two coins :lol:) Also, when I am ready to finish my hunt for the day, I like to have my last dig of the hunt to be a non-trash find, so sometimes I'll dig a few more targets trying to end my hunt on a coin and not trash :lol: doesn't always happen, but fun trying anyhow :lol:

Hope your next hunt is better than average, but have fun anyhow ! :lol:
I know most of the sports fields in our area have been shut down for most of the year now , some parks here are just opening but many are still closed. Still might be some finds from previous years but wouldn't count on recent drops.

I know most of the sports fields in our area have been shut down for most of the year now , some parks here are just opening but many are still closed. Still might be some finds from previous years but wouldn't count on recent drops.

I think I have yet to find any recent drops in any hunts I've ever done, all the coins I ever dug all looked like they had been in the dirt for a good while :lol:

I think it all goes back to a person's location, someone who lives in a small town where there is relatively low foot traffic in the parks there is much less chance of regular fresh drops as compared to those who live in more highly populated areas where busier parks are more common. Of course with how things are this year, even the normally more busy parks might not be as busy as last year.

UPDATE: got back to this permission for my 2nd hunt there today (Saturday).....

It was a shorter hunt than last time, only about 2 1/2 hours, will see about getting back there again on Monday........

I was originally planning on getting back there today (Monday) but something came up where I needed to stay close to home longer today and limited the time I'd have to go on a hunt elsewhere today, so I might just get out in my own yard for a quick hunt, especially now that I have my 31" Sampson shovel and can more easily go after those deeper targets than before :lol:

I definitely plan on getting back to that permission hopefully tomorrow, but if not then later this week as my schedule and responsibilities allow.

I was originally planning on getting back there today (Monday) but something came up where I needed to stay close to home longer today and limited the time I'd have to go on a hunt elsewhere today, so I might just get out in my own yard for a quick hunt, especially now that I have my 31" Sampson shovel and can more easily go after those deeper targets than before :lol:

I definitely plan on getting back to that permission hopefully tomorrow, but if not then later this week as my schedule and responsibilities allow.

Okay, since I did mention doing a quick hunt in my front yard today I figured I'd post the results kinda as an object lesson :lol:

By that I mean an example of a popular saying some detectorists like to use, which goes something like this:

"it is unlikely that any location is completely hunted out"

Like many of you likely have, I had already hunted my yard several times (at least the areas in the front I figured were more likely to have good targets, as the further areas in the back next to woods likely were relatively unused, though I do plan to hunt those areas eventually to be sure)

Anyhow, I hunted for about a little over an hour in an area of my front yard I have hunted several times before, and while I did not think it was completely hunted out of everything, I felt like maybe I might had already previously found all the coins in that area, well, I was pleasantly surprised to actually find yet 2 more coins, a dime and a penny !

So the lesson is:
IF you think your own yard is hunted out of coins, you just MIGHT surprise yourself the next time you carefully rescan the area ! :lol:

I was not in a hurry and was focusing on signals I thought might have a better chance of being a coin, though I did dig my usual share of trash too :lol: I even found an old wrench deep in the dirt !

Here is a pic of all the finds, followed by a closer pic of each of the coins.
(and I can tell the coins were not fresh drops, so I somehow missed them before)
Front_yard_hunt_20200921.jpg

Front_yard_hunt_20200921_0001.jpg

Front_yard_hunt_20200921_0002.jpg

Okay, did get back to my new permission today (Tuesday) for my 3rd hunt there.....

It was about a 2 3/4 hour hunt, great weather and moist soil !

Still no silver yet, but did find my first quarter at that location today, I was beginning to think I needed to name it the "dime and penny field" as that was the only types of coins I found there before today :lol:

Anyhow, I found a total of one quarter, 2 dimes, and a penny ! (and of course trash :lol:)

As usual I could tell still no fresh drops as they all look like they've been in the ground quite a while :lol:

Here's a pic of all the finds including the trash and then a closer pic of each coin so you can see they oviously are not fresh drops :lol:
3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200922_all_finds.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200922_0001.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200922_0002.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200922_0003.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20200922_004.jpg

It must be a very trashy field, as there are a LOT of seemingly good signals that are still there when I raise my coil and rescan, indicating the target is more than likely large metal trash like a crushed aluminum can.

If even half those signals were truly good I'd have been digging a lot more targets :lol:

Okay, did get back to my new permission today (Tuesday) for my 3rd hunt there.....

It was about a 2 3/4 hour hunt, great weather and moist soil !

Still no silver yet, but did find my first quarter at that location today, I was beginning to think I needed to name it the "dime and penny field" as that was the only types of coins I found there before today :lol:

Anyhow, I found a total of one quarter, 2 dimes, and a penny ! (and of course trash :lol:)

As usual I could tell still no fresh drops as they all look like they've been in the ground quite a while :lol:

Here's a pic of all the finds including the trash and then a closer pic of each coin so you can see they oviously are not fresh drops :lol:
View attachment 472276

View attachment 472277

View attachment 472278

View attachment 472279

View attachment 472280

It must be a very trashy field, as there are a LOT of seemingly good signals that are still there when I raise my coil and rescan, indicating the target is more than likely large metal trash like a crushed aluminum can.

If even half those signals were truly good I'd have been digging a lot more targets :lol:

from the dates and conditions there just might he some silver hid in all the junk. Might of been a location in there with soda vending machines , or coin operated laundry , any sign of a old playground most likely close to where ever their office was. The one i was in had a small pool for the residences as well as soda machines and snack machines if i recall right , been a long time ago but probably around the time that one was in use. i know i always kept a jar of change for things like that even if my trailer has a washer and dryer some times you needed to use the jumbo washer in the laundry.

from the dates and conditions there just might he some silver hid in all the junk. Might of been a location in there with soda vending machines , or coin operated laundry , any sign of a old playground most likely close to where ever their office was. The one i was in had a small pool for the residences as well as soda machines and snack machines if i recall right , been a long time ago but probably around the time that one was in use. i know i always kept a jar of change for things like that even if my trailer has a washer and dryer some times you needed to use the jumbo washer in the laundry.

I do notice how close some the dates on coins I dig are to silver coins, so it does give me hope I'll dig a silver coin before too long - hopefully :lol:

I'd like to find spots where vending machines were next to or on grassy areas, but any outdoor vending machines I see nowadays all seem to be on concrete :roll:

Good idea though to check for as far as past possible locations !

I do notice how close some the dates on coins I dig are to silver coins, so it does give me hope I'll dig a silver coin before too long - hopefully :lol:

I'd like to find spots where vending machines were next to or on grassy areas, but any outdoor vending machines I see nowadays all seem to be on concrete :roll:

Good idea though to check for as far as past possible locations !

the vending machines in ours were on short concrete pads so any thing dropping would roll of in to grass , dirt or gravel around it. I would love to go back and check mine but a subdivision is on that land now.

the vending machines in ours were on short concrete pads so any thing dropping would roll of in to grass , dirt or gravel around it. I would love to go back and check mine but a subdivision is on that land now.

After reading your post I might start watching out for how close to grass any outdoor vending machines I see are when I am driving around :lol:

Goes right along with watching for new detecting areas to hunt :lol:

Raining today, but hope to maybe get back to that 3+ acre field to detect more later tomorrow.

Anyhow in the meantime I wanted to share this neat story how someone called the general manager of the company that owns that field to report they saw someone (me) detecting there.

My wife is the manager of the motel that company owns and occasionally she stops by that company's local office to report things the motel needs and any issues that need addressed by upper management.

My wife told me yesterday about a recent encounter she had at the local office with the general manager of the company that owns the motel as well as that 3+acre field I got permission from him to detect as well as detect at the the motel. (they also own several Shell gas stations)

She said the general manager mentioned to her that someone called him up telling him someone is metal detecting on that field (had to be someone who knew that field belonged to the company he was general manager of) anyhow, he told my wife that he told that person something like "it's okay, he's just treasure hunting" :laughing: (and he actually used the words "treasure hunting" :laughing:)

The general manager is a good guy, easy to talk to who had no problem giving me permission to detect the motel and that field. That was good in a way that that person called him though, at least that way I know if someone else tries detecting there without permission it hopefully would get reported so if they left holes I would not get blamed for them, as I am very careful to replace my plugs to try to make it look as if I never dug.

I don't think I would get blamed for them anyhow as I believe the general manager knows I am a person of my word and would refill my plugs like I promised to do. .......but my wife and I did get a good laugh at how he actually told that person who called that it was okay, that I was "treasure hunting" :laughing:

Well, got back out to that 3+acre permission today (Saturday) for my 4th hunt there, about a 2 1/2 hour hunt, ground was very very moist after yesterday's rain, very easy digging !

Anyhow, seems like just about each new hunt lately I try using some of the tips I learn from the forum since my previous hunt to improve my hunting skills.

I did dig about a couple of the raised coil signals that seemed like they were worth a try and got some coins. Also dug some signals I might have been more prone to skip before.

My good good finds to trash ratio was good (for me at least :lol:) I had 13 good finds (3 clad dimes and 10 pennies) and about 14 pieces of trash.

Still no silver yet, but I am pleased with 13 coins for a 2 1/2 hunt for that area.

I definitely am not done with that area yet, still a lot of ground to cover, but I might occasionally try another hunting site just to have a change of scenery and use some of the tips I've learned at another location.

Here is a pic of the coins and of the trash.
(hey, some people say "pics or it didn't happen :laughing:)
3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_coins_20200926.jpg

3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_trash_20200926.jpg

Did you find any glass fuses yet? Yesterday I was back at a home site that was demolished in the 70’s and every time I go there I find a glass fuse. I swear when one went bad they stepped out on the back porch and threw them into the yard.

Did you find any glass fuses yet? Yesterday I was back at a home site that was demolished in the 70’s and every time I go there I find a glass fuse. I swear when one went bad they stepped out on the back porch and threw them into the yard.

Nope, no glass fuses yet, but interesting how much you are finding them, maybe those people thought it wasn't okay to dispose of them in the trash ? :lol:

As far as non-coin finds I am finding my share of bottle caps and various pieces of hardware like bolts, screws, nails, and misc hardware stuff I can't even name :lol: maybe it's from those trailers that used to be parked there.

While so far that 3+ acre field has only yielded clad, modern pennies, and trash, I'm still hoping it might surprise me with a really good find like an older coin, but regardless I do seem to be fine-tuning my detecting skills there so if nothing else it is like a 3+ acre "classroom" for "Detecting School" :laughing:

UPDATE: went to the 3+ acre permission today for about a 3 hour hunt

(I took a break from this permission to do 2 hunts at a walking park)

Anyhow, just wanted to let y'all know I haven't given up on this permission, just only took a break from it for a couple hunts elsewhere.

No really good finds today, just 3 modern pennies and the usual trash, but hey, al least I know I haven't hunted it out before today :lol:

I still had fun and got some good exercise, the weather was great for detecting !

Here's pics so you can see the assortment of trash I found today as well as the pennies.
3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20201005_4.jpg3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20201005_0001.jpg3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20201005_0002.jpg3_plus_acre_field_former_trailer_park_finds_20201005_0003.jpg
(it's amazing the times you get a signal you think might be a coin and it's trash :lol:)

Saturday hunt at 3+ acre permission used long ago as trailer park - now unused open field

Finally got back to this permission again yesterday (Saturday), my last 4 hunts were at the walking park where I found my first silver as I was hoping to find another :lol: but with 4 hunts and only finding trash and one very encrusted Lincoln penny, I figured it was time to give this permission a try again.

I did about a 2 1/2 hour hunt and found 4 coins and some trash.

I was detecting in an area of that field that had a layer of crumbling asphalt about 3-4 inches under the grass. I was hoping since it is a tougher area to dig that if that field was detected in the past that maybe that area was not bothered with as much since it is tougher to dig.

Anyhow, my first good signal was jumping around between 12 and 11 with a very very occasional 13, but no 14 at all. I usually avoid digging if 14 is one of the recurring TIDs as it is likely a pull-tab.

Since it was under asphalt and pretty deep I was hoping it might be a really old nickel. Not having my reading glasses or magnifier with me I had to wait till I got home to see for sure what year it was, but I was hoping it might be my first war nickel, but it turned out to be a 1941 which was fine, I was glad to finally dig something at this permission that wasn't modern clad or Memorial pennies :lol:

Here is some pics of that dig and a close up of the nickel itself.....
20201031_1941_nickel.jpg20201031_1941_nickel_b.jpg
20201031_1941_nickel_c.jpg
20201031_0001.jpg20201031_0002.jpg

My next good signal was a deep 39 (though some other TIDs jumped in too) so I was hoping for silver. After digging fairly deep it actually turned out to be a 1944 wheat penny ! I rescanned the area after removing the wheat but no long could get a 39 so not sure what happen there, though I was very glad to dig my 3rd wheatie !!!

Here's pics of that.....
20201031_1944_wheat_penny.jpg20201031_1944_wheat_penny_b.jpg
20201031_1944_wheat_penny_c.jpg
20201031_0003.jpg20201031_0004.jpg

My next good signal was my 4th wheatie !!!!! .....a 1956D wheatie.

Here's pics of that......
20201031_1956D_wheat_penny.jpg
20201031_0006.jpg20201031_0007.jpg

Had one more good signal, just a 1985D memorial penny, but can't complain after digging the nickel and two wheaties !!!!

Here's that pic....
20201031_0008.jpg20201031_0009.jpg

Also, just for the record so as to see what my trash to good finds ratio was this hunt, here is a pic of the trash I dug (the plastic pieces had a metal screw in them)
20201031_trash.jpg

While this might not seem like a fantastic hunt to those with better locations I was very pleased with this hunt considering my previous hunts here I only dug modern clad and Memorial pennies and lots of trash :lol:

Just goes to show not to give up on an area too quickly even if several previous hunts did not result in any older finds. I'll be getting back there again to see if there are more older goodies even if I have to dig thru broken asphalt to get to them :lol:

Nope, no glass fuses yet, but interesting how much you are finding them, maybe those people thought it wasn't okay to dispose of them in the trash ? :lol:

As far as non-coin finds I am finding my share of bottle caps and various pieces of hardware like bolts, screws, nails, and misc hardware stuff I can't even name :lol: maybe it's from those trailers that used to be parked there.

While so far that 3+ acre field has only yielded clad, modern pennies, and trash, I'm still hoping it might surprise me with a really good find like an older coin, but regardless I do seem to be fine-tuning my detecting skills there so if nothing else it is like a 3+ acre "classroom" for "Detecting School" :laughing:

Fuse box most likely out back or on back porch

Back
Top Bottom