• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need some sand scoop help please...

Price was a factor for me when I bought my first scoop, so I went with the Quest Scoopal. I bought it through Serious Detecting on eBay. It set me back less than $120 with the eBay bucks I had.

One of the reasons I got it, besides that it's stainless steel, is that the rod detaches into two pieces for easy packing. You mentioned that you're on vacation so portability may be a factor.

My honest review is that is a great scoop for the price. It hasn't rusted yet and I've used it a lot over the last 4 months.

Weight is probably on the heavy side (haven't tried any carbon fiber scoops to compare), but you get used to it quickly. If you get the pistol grip attachment for the handle, it's more than manageable.

Only negative is that I've had to retighten the nuts that attach the scoop to the handle as they have a tendency to loosen a little with a lot of use.

Other than that, it's an ideal first scoop.

I have the same experience with that scoop...I have the exact same one.

One issue other than the nuts loosening some is that it's HEAVY to lug around for 4-5 hours...and you can't use a carbon fiber handle on the u-bolt scoops from what I understand.

I still like the scoop...but my next one will be able to use a carbon fiber handle and hopefully be lighter.

For the rare instances I beach hunt it's great though.

You can get those scoop belt holders in Lowes. Look in the ladder dept.

You can get those scoop belt holders in Lowes. Look in the ladder dept.
The ones at Lowes are Werner brand. They will work but they are a bit harder to get in and out the holder. The cone shaped part on the bungee is a bit shorter. They are a little more expensive too but not that much.

I tried to find them but none of the stores in this area stock them. I tried one that another guy had.

Cliff

The ones at Lowes are Werner brand. They will work but they are a bit harder to get in and out the holder. The cone shaped part on the bungee is a bit shorter. They are a little more expensive too but not that much.

I tried to find them but none of the stores in this area stock them. I tried one that another guy had.

Cliff
Thanks for the comparison- I've never had the other kind. The Lowes one has been perfect for me tho. No problems like you cite whatsoever.
Its good that theres another option in the market. Competition is Good.

Thank you for all of the responses. I always appreciate everyone's feedback and experience. It's always great to see how you each hunt and the different hardware and configurations you all come up with. I pulled the trigger today on a scoop from Royal Manufacturing.

https://www.royalmfgind.com/product/convertible-underwater-beach-scoop/

I think this will work well for me as a travel scoop in the car. I like the simple design and the fact it has 5/8" holes. It looks to be made very well. I will report back once I receive it.

00103-pic-1-800x800.jpg

Thank you for all of the responses. I always appreciate everyone's feedback and experience. It's always great to see how you each hunt and the different hardware and configurations you all come up with. I pulled the trigger today on a scoop from Royal Manufacturing.

https://www.royalmfgind.com/product/convertible-underwater-beach-scoop/

I think this will work well for me as a travel scoop in the car. I like the simple design and the fact it has 5/8" holes. It looks to be made very well. I will report back once I receive it.

00103-pic-1-800x800.jpg
I can tell you 1st hand that scoop is very heavy for it's small size. Bummer , but you don't hunt much so it will be fine. The owner of that place does not stand behind his word , nor does he care. FACT.

I can tell you 1st hand that scoop is very heavy for it's small size. Bummer , but you don't hunt much so it will be fine. The owner of that place does not stand behind his word , nor does he care. FACT.

Yeah, for now I am not too worried about the weight as my time beach hunting will be very limited. Ironically I found the scoop watching a Vanquish 540 beach hunting video and a young girl was using it. I figure if she can handle it, I’ll be fine.

We’ll see how the transaction goes. I buy a ton of stuff online from a lot of vendors for way more money than this scoop. As long as they ship it and it is as advertised, we’ll be good.

Ok now Kob : Tell us what you REALLY think. :cool3:

I thought I did 🤣 Just an awful experience , after the owner made a personal guarantee. I'm more old school where your word meant something. If not , your gonna hear it and/or feel it. I know things happen. When I went to go get my product , guy at the counter was nice. I voiced my displeasure a bit , but he was the wrong guy. The owner was either not there or hiding in the back. Not willing to face me. And it's a good thing he didn't. Oh well , NEVER again....

Just a quick update on this scoop. I ordered it last Friday and it was shipped by Royal Monday Morning. After FedEx's magical journey from CA to PA and changing the delivery date 3 times, it arrived today. I am very happy with the overall quality of the scoop. Nothing about it feels cheap or weak. All of the welds look great. It weighs 4 lbs 10 oz. I actually thought it would be heavier than that. Feels fine to me. I think it will be perfect for my needs. The detachable handle will be great for stowing it in the car on our trip and it has a place to attach a lanyard if needed. I'll definitely report back once I've had a chance to use it. :yes:

Thought I’d post an update about the Royal Manufacturing scoop I bought now that I have actually had a chance to use it a few times. First off, traveling with it was very convenient. Broken down it easily stores in the trunk. Does not take up much room at all.

I’ve been carrying it (not dragging it) the entire time I am hunting. At just over 4 pounds it is fine for me. I do not think it is overly heavy and I could live with using it every day. Digging with it is easy. It is very sturdy. The large flat back of the scoop makes it easy to put a foot on it and the angle is good even for digging deeper holes. I’ve dug past the 12 inch mark and I am certain this will get me as deep as the Vanquish can detect. I believe the scoop is 6 inches round. While narrower than some scoops, I have had no issue being right on target most of the time and I will credit that to the Vanquish’s excellent pinpointing capability. Overall, if you are a casual beach Hunter like me and maybe only going a couple times a year, I think this scoop is a good overall value and it is built very well. I expect it will last some time for me.

Sounds like that scoop meets your needs so congrats. Having the right scoop for the type of hunting that you do is so important. If you told me 10 years ago that I would someday spend over $400 for a scoop and carbon fiber handle, I would have said "no way" but now I have 2 of them- scoops are investments.

Back
Top Bottom