• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

State Park in SC

RyanMB

Just called and got a verbal permission from a Sate Park in SC. I know that Indians lived in that area and there is a 60+ acre lake that is dry now because of Hurricane Matthew. I am making reservations to go for a week in the fall. I can't wait.

...I know I broke 20 'laws' this am just by getting up before dawn and hunting totlots...maybe more than 20...I've took at least a dozen squirts out in the backyard, which I'm sure violates some sort of law, plus smoking on school property..and also taking a squirt in the totter there...:?:..So yeah, pretty much a daily event to bust 50+ laws easy...I've not robbed a grave yet, but its only 10am...:laughing:

...I know I broke 20 'laws' this am just by getting up before dawn and hunting totlots...maybe more than 20...I've took at least a dozen squirts out in the backyard, which I'm sure violates some sort of law, plus smoking on school property..and also taking a squirt in the totter there...:?:..So yeah, pretty much a daily event to bust 50+ laws easy...I've not robbed a grave yet, but its only 10am...:laughing:

Sheesk, what's next puppy-mud ?? Clubbing baby seals? You are a disgrace !

I hate to be a killjoy but you might want to check this out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_Graves_Protection_and_Repatriation_Act

Even if found on private land you cannot (legally) keep native artifacts.

NAGPRA also establishes procedures for the inadvertent discovery or planned excavation of Native American cultural items on federal or tribal lands. While these provisions do not apply to discoveries or excavations on private or state lands, the collection provisions of the Act may apply to Native American cultural items if they come under the control of an institution that receives federal funding.

This is a State Park not Federal so I'm not sure this Act applies here.

NAGPRA also establishes procedures for the inadvertent discovery or planned excavation of Native American cultural items on federal or tribal lands. While these provisions do not apply to discoveries or excavations on private or state lands, the collection provisions of the Act may apply to Native American cultural items if they come under the control of an institution that receives federal funding.

This is a State Park not Federal so I'm not sure this Act applies here.

Fellows: The native american indians had no refined metals. So what's all the fuss about ? We're not into indian bones, pottery, arrowheads, beads, etc...... None of that is metal. So who cares ?

If some archie "cares", I will do my best not to bump into him. Presto, problem solved.

Fellows: The native american indians had no refined metals. So what's all the fuss about ? We're not into indian bones, pottery, arrowheads, beads, etc...... None of that is metal. So who cares ?

If some archie "cares", I will do my best not to bump into him. Presto, problem solved.

I know they used copper and that they also traded with europeans for iron and such. There have been many documented finds of iron arrowheads.

https://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-indian-weapons-tools/metal-blades.htm

I know they used copper and that they also traded with europeans for iron and such.....

Yes, in a few isolated regions of the USA, the Indians had figured out a crude form of copper. But that's only in isolated regions. In the rest of the USA, the indians had no refined metals.

As for the "contact" period items (trade items) I do not think bruhaha protection laws apply to those items. If some purist archie tries to say they do, I have a simple solution to that: Stay clear of purist archies. Because if the day came that we all had to get that sort to "love and adore" and approve of us, is the day we might as well give up md'ing.

Back
Top Bottom