Learning Curve on a new detector

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I know lots of people here will get a new detector and keep the old ones for different reasons. I am a one detector man since when I get a new detector I have to sell my old one to help with the cost of the new one.

But the real cost of a new detector is the time you must put in learning the new detector. When you switch brands like I did going from an AT Pro to the the Equinox 800 you have an even longer learning curve than if you stay within the brand. Eg going from the AT Pro to the AT Max would be less of a learning curve than going to a Minelab model.

I cannot imagine trying to keep the AT Pro and the 800 and use them both. I hunted the AT Pro in the pro metal mode and eventually learned what most of the sounds meant over a 3 year period. Some things stay the same with a metal detector regardless of brands and models. For instance on a double D coil when you have two different metals and are separated in a vertical arrangement in relation to the vertical center of the coil the readings will be averaged. When the arrangement is horizontal then you get two separate more accurate readings.

Now some advantages come along with a new model like the 800's ability to really pick out individual signals among multiple targets under your coil. But with this advantage comes a longer learning curve. On the 800 it feels like I am flooded with audio tones on multiple targets and I really have to slow down and take the time to see if the good ones are really good ones. Of course the only way to do that is to dig all or most of the iffy targets. See some things stay the same.

So the question is for you guys who have listed in your profile owning multiple machines especially of different brands do you use all of them for different types of hunting?

If so is it a challenge to remember all of the knowledge required for both detectors?

I notice on the 800 a huge feature is the ability to adjust the tones and ranges of target breaks and in effect make the 800 sound more like the detector you are used to using like in my case the AT Pro. But again it takes more time to learn to understand and use all these features.

Its different asking a land hunter than a water hunter. You only got one water detector and something happens in peak season you are toast. It may take months to get your detector fixed? I switch mine out all the time so i don't get too rusty on any one of them. When i first started years ago i had an ace 250 that went down. Ordered an ace 350 and that was bad as soon as i got it. Then ordered a BHID 300 and it had a burned out light. Had 3 detectors at the repair shop and wound up buying a used Whites DFX and was in business. Garrett actually lost one of my aces. I never did get it back and had to get a refund:shock:

All people have different learning skills, so the curve is different for all. Some pick it up within a couple hours, for others, it may take weeks or months. :cool:

I learned to hunt with a Vaquero, got even better with a Compadre then I traded the Vaq and now I am learning a Mojave.
Got real good with an F2 then put it away because I upgraded to an F70 and I have put in hundreds of happy hours learning to hunt with that one.
Nowadays I use the F70 mostly and the Mojave from time to time.
I have not forgotten anything I learned with any of them and sometimes what I learned with one I use to get better with another.
Switching around from screens to units with no screens and between different detectors is way fun for me, so enjoyable I just couldn't do this hobby and be happy any other way.
Now I am seriously thinking about a Nox so if I get it I will have a ton of fun hours ahead of me learning that one.

I learned to hunt with a Vaquero, got even better with a Compadre then I traded the Vaq and now I am learning a Mojave.
Got real good with an F2 then put it away because I upgraded to an F70 and I have put in hundreds of happy hours learning to hunt with that one.
Nowadays I use the F70 mostly and the Mojave from time to time.
I have not forgotten anything I learned with any of them and sometimes what I learned with one I use to get better with another.
Switching around from screens to units with no screens and between different detectors is way fun for me, so enjoyable I just couldn't do this hobby and be happy any other way.
Now I am seriously thinking about a Nox so if I get it I will have a ton of fun hours ahead of me learning that one.

Mojave has a learning curve? It has one dial (other than volume) :laughing:

I learned on a borrowed Fisher F2. When I got the Garrett 350, I questioned my purchase for the first ten hours, but then like a light switch - BAM! I can't imagine not having it.

If a person learns how a metal detector works and understand the basic fundamentals, then switching from detector to detector is more of an adjustment curve rather than a learning curve.

A detector is part of the equation and the person is the other. The detector needs the guidance from the person to tell it what to do. The detector can't think. It can only respond to the variables dictated by the programming. The operator still has to make decisions based on the info the detector provides. Even though detectors are running more complex equations at faster speeds, it still requires an intelligent operator.

Some people buy a new detector and reality sets in. They are confused by all the adjustments, the tones, the ID numbers and all the little nuances that are communicated to the operator. I think some people have an expectation of a detector that can think for them. Once they realize that they have to know and make decisions, they become overwhelmed.

Start out simple and learn some basic coin tones and ID numbers and some common trash tones and ID numbers.. Learn these well and then you have a baseline to build upon.

As for the settings, read or ask about what a particular setting does and how it effects the detector. Then experiment with that setting and see what kind of effect it gives you. Build up your knowledge base on the settings and on when and why to use them. Then study the ground in which you detect and get a feel for the flow of how people have interacted with the ground. Where they spent time and where they traveled, what they did and when they did it. A lot of the clues lay just below the surface so doing some purposeful trash digging can help you to identify a timeframe and find how much interaction took place. See the big picture, don't get caught up in a single minded approach.

I started with an AT Pro and then purchased a Nox 600. I do hunt with both machines and I don't feel it's that difficult to switch back and forth. I only use the five tones on my Nox so it's a good bit similar to the AT Pro. I do hunt a lot and also did some testing and watched lots of available videos on both machines. I asked questions on this forum when I needed advice. All of these things were a big help to me. I only dig dirt so I am not into sand and salt water. Picking places to hunt also one needs to think about "Why this spot and will it be a place that can produce what I am looking for"? As mentioned above, doing some thinking and research is very helpful too. HH and good luck.
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

I'm a one detector MD'er also..... mostly because I want to learn every aspect of the machine in different dirt to maximize the finds...…… The type of dirt is different everywhere in the country - one can drive 100 miles and it's different. The targets sound different & the numbers are often skewed - especially with the NOX. I run a CZ21 in the salt water and dig almost everything but only use one machine in the dirt...….

I personally feel that once you really really know the machine well you can go anywhere, adjust the settings on the machine to area, and know what is in the ground before you bring it out. The amount of time one puts into the machine to get that knowledge will vary from person to person.

But knowing the machine that well will also reveal the flaws which will lead a MD'er a obtain a new/better machine (it did for me at least)...…. I just prefer to replace the machine instead of owning many...….

GL & HH

Went beach detecting this morning and found some clad and a wallet. I'm going to the mall, just kidding. I turned it in to the local PD, they can go to the mall :lol:

I use two detectors. One that is waterproof I use at the beach on the sand and occasionally when the surf allows in the water. The other is my dedicated land machine. I have three other detectors. One that was given to me that I have no idea how to make it work. The other two were what I thought that I need. One for visitor and one for another function. Really do not need either of them. May get rid of them as all they have ever done is collect dust.

Mojave has a learning curve? It has one dial (other than volume) :laughing:

It has two knobs...the gain and the disc.
Twice as hard to learn this one as my one knob Compadre.
Don't get me started on the nightmare of dealing with the high-low mineralization switch. :?: :giggle:

My Vaq had way more knobs, I had a breakdown and had to be hospitalized for awhile when I first opened the box.

Back
Top Bottom