What do you think of a property owner wanting first pick of the finds?

sdub

A few weeks ago, I was contacted and invited to detect an older interesting property. I gave the fellow information and he said all he wanted was for me to come out and explain and demonstrate how a detector worked to his family on an evening everyone was available. I agreed. And I prepared for that.

I also asked if it would be all right to detect the easement in the meantime, and received permission. There were no obvious high conductors along the easement, but there were nickels and pulltabs. My impression was it may have been cherry-picked. To be sure, I asked to return and double-check with different gear and was told to come whenever I wanted, they were only concerned about beyond the fenceline.

I returned and was invited inside the fenceline, but before I began, the spouse chatted with me. And let me know to say when I was done for the day because they were excited about going through my finds and picking what they wanted to keep!

I said it didn't work that way and tried to explain the process, but was cut short, told in a raised voice that we'll decide what you get to keep, and to stop, and that the deal was off. And the person went back behind the fence yelling at the spouse.

I left quickly, and went elsewhere. A few hours later when I turned my phone back on, there were attempted calls and text messages from the person I made the original deal with, asking me to come back and get started, followed by a final message that said, well, I guess if we don't get to keep anything, deal's off. I got the impression this spouse didn't know the other had already told me the deal was off.

I sent a friendly note back thanking them for the initial consideration and asked if they thought I needed to revise the initial information I'd given. I'm clear about offering keys, pet/rabies tags, items that reasonably go with the property (for example - an original doorknob from an older house), and personally identifiable items (something with their name or initials). I also always ask if they've lost something they'd like returned. I do my best to find and return lost items on a property. Heck, I'm happy to split a cache if I find one. That person apologized and said they didn't know where they got the idea they'd have first pick.

Anyway - they said they were inspired to get their own detector. Good!

I wouldn't have agreed to letting someone go through the finds and take first pick even if had been brought up beforehand. I've been down that road. The few times I've done that, I not only saw my finds diminish (the best ones), but I've been asked if I was showing them everything. Took the fun out of it for me.

Does anyone here give a property owner first pick of finds?

I have an 1805 property I hunt... end of the day...I lay everything out on my tailgate... Take my pictures...and the home owners take their pick. They never pick coins...they are very into the history of their land and love the relics. I personally an extremely happy to be able to detect these private properties, and dont mind the land owner taking their pick. After all...I still found it!

I would never agree to that. I would not answer their calls, forget about it and avoid that situation all together :hornetsnest:
From what you posted already happened, It sounds like it would not be a fun hunt.
But if you have the patience and think you might find something, have at it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I've offered to and it was agreed to share the finds. Then said "all personal type item" should stay with the property/owner and that I was a coin guy and would like to keep the coins. He was good with that. The farm had been in his family for over 100 years and I used to share cut firewood for his dad many years ago so we sort of new each other anyways which helped. This was done before I even had a detector on site. Worked well. Found a dogtag that was probably his great grandfather's dog from 1920 a few buttons and some 1800's flatware went to the owner. Only coin I found was a 58' flying eagle but was still a happy camper with that. But somewhat depressing as research prior showed since 1830 two families of 15 persons had lived there. Massive filling around the farmhouse since the 1940's. But getting back to the OP issue, just walk away. Looks like they were really looking for a free archeological service for their property or they saw that opportunity when you asked for the permission. Not that uncommon.

These people thought you were going to find rare coins and gold all over the place. I would have offered a 20 minute crash course on how to use a detector for free. And of course I would have my pouch pre-filled with a few wheats and a Rosie. Along with some trash. All my good finds are going down my shorts , never to be seen by them. Then they can have the pick of the pouch. This may sound flat out wrong and rude. But no more rude than what this disgusting family was trying to pull over you.

I have an 1805 property I hunt... end of the day...I lay everything out on my tailgate... Take my pictures...and the home owners take their pick. They never pick coins...they are very into the history of their land and love the relics. I personally an extremely happy to be able to detect these private properties, and dont mind the land owner taking their pick. After all...I still found it!

This seems like a working example. You get to document the finds and you keep the coins. Also - 1805, so there's an opportunity to find something really interesting.

My deal would be to split the finds and the owner gets the first pick (one pick). Then it's my turn to pick one and so on until the owner didn't want any more stuff. No way would I bust my butt detecting all day just so someone could take all the good stuff from me.

I've got at least five standing offers to detect on properties, but they all have the same mentality. They get to keep anything they like (or everything, for that matter). The problem with land owners is they think anything dug up on their land belongs to them. That's fine if you dig it yourself, but don't expect me to work for you for free. You want to keep it all, buy a metal detector and see how it goes. They'll give up in an hour after digging endless trash, since they have no idea what a good signal is or even a good VDI number. Just my take on it

I've offered to and it was agreed to share the finds. Then said "all personal type item" should stay with the property/owner and that I was a coin guy and would like to keep the coins. He was good with that. The farm had been in his family for over 100 years and I used to share cut firewood for his dad many years ago so we sort of new each other anyways which helped. This was done before I even had a detector on site. Worked well. Found a dogtag that was probably his great grandfather's dog from 1920 a few buttons and some 1800's flatware went to the owner. Only coin I found was a 58' flying eagle but was still a happy camper with that. But somewhat depressing as research prior showed since 1830 two families of 15 persons had lived there. Massive filling around the farmhouse since the 1940's. But getting back to the OP issue, just walk away. Looks like they were really looking for a free archeological service for their property or they saw that opportunity when you asked for the permission. Not that uncommon.

So this a family friend, and a property that's been owned for generations, plus it's older - 1830s. I'd be happy to share finds this way under those circumstances.

I would never agree to that. I would not answer their calls, forget about it and avoid that situation all together :hornetsnest:
From what you posted already happened, It sounds like it would not be a fun hunt.
But if you have the patience and think you might find something, have at it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I'll consider returning if the property changes hands.

My deal would be to split the finds and the owner gets the first pick (one pick). Then it's my turn to pick one and so on until the owner didn't want any more stuff. No way would I bust my butt detecting all day just so someone could take all the good stuff from me.

I've got at least five standing offers to detect on properties, but they all have the same mentality. They get to keep anything they like (or everything, for that matter). The problem with land owners is they think anything dug up on their land belongs to them. That's fine if you dig it yourself, but don't expect me to work for you for free. You want to keep it all, buy a metal detector and see how it goes. They'll give up in an hour after digging endless trash, since they have no idea what a good signal is or even a good VDI number. Just my take on it

The one-for-one is a better approach for splitting finds. It would have to be a really promising property for me, though.

At least they're upfront about what they expect, so you don't need to gear up and travel and then find out differently.

I recently had someone else put a find in their pocket and ask for other finds. I gave them a few and never went back. That person also had a very specific idea about what they wanted in exchange, but when it came to reality, they wanted more than agreed to and more than I was comfortable giving up.

So this a family friend, and a property that's been owned for generations, plus it's older - 1830s. I'd be happy to share finds this way under those circumstances.

I new the current owners father who has long passed. I had never met his son the current owner who is in his seventies. But he had heard of me from his father years ago. I'm sure that helped some.

These people thought you were going to find rare coins and gold all over the place. I would have offered a 20 minute crash course on how to use a detector for free. And of course I would have my pouch pre-filled with a few wheats and a Rosie. Along with some trash. All my good finds are going down my shorts , never to be seen by them. Then they can have the pick of the pouch. This may sound flat out wrong and rude. But no more rude than what this disgusting family was trying to pull over you.

I hope they really do get themselves a detector. It may give them an appreciation of the hobby.

Guess its better than being told "hell no!" like I would if someone asked me

One of my veteran hunt buddies from back when I first started metal detecting, had one deep pants pocket for "special" finds. I never needed it but he did on some of our hunts.

Someone ask me if I found anything good and I'd most likely say "I did" and tell the experience. I'm not sure which of us were more right.

I do same thing... I have offered homeowners whatever they wanted... I have yet to lose any finds to them... they say to me they are interesting but I found them and can keep them...

....Does anyone here give a property owner first pick of finds?

I do same thing... I have offered homeowners whatever they wanted... I have yet to lose any finds to them... they say to me they are interesting but I found them and can keep them...

Sdub, don't take this wrong, but : I say you went about it all wrong. To start discussing contracts and split methods, before you've even hunted, is the FASTEST way to get a "no" to your permission request. :roll: To start talking negotiations, and putting contracts in front of them to sign, just conjures up legal hassles, treasure chests, blah blah.

I mean, dude, this is THEIR land. So OF COURSE the stuff on the land belongs to them.

All I ever tell them, before a hunt (if they even ask) is : "You're welcome to anything I find." And invariably, just like CFMCT and JNimons say : It rarely ever works out in any kind of negative way.

I'll just pile everything on to my tailgate at the post-game show. And will pull a token or a seated coin I want aside next to the pile. And say : "Here's one I don't have in my collection, can I have this one ?" And will push the rest of the pile bulk towards them (wheaties, common silver, etc.....). And I have NEVER had anyone say "no, give it all to me".

....... Take my pictures......

Yes, on the extremely rare occasion that I have had to fork over everything , these were cases where I was hunting obvious historic landmarks. Where the stuff in in museums now. So pictures are just-as-good in my book. The thrill of the hunt is a prize in my book.

And when you think of it, this hobby is about 99% show & tell anyhow (none of us are "getting rich" by this). So to show & tell, all ya need is pictures, right ? You still have your boasting rights, eh ? Presto, that's 99% of the hobby in the first place.

My advice, move on. Sounds like compounded aggravation. If they think they are sitting on a gold mine let them buy a metal detector and try. There are plenty of doors to knock on. The way I see it, I've got a lot of time and money and sweat equity in my hobby so my finds are the fruit of my labor. I try to avoid any upfront questions, I usually infer I keep what I find by showing pics, (never any shiny) saying I never sell anything and my kids want to know what to do with all my stuff when I'm gone. At this point if the guys/ladies demeanor changes and I get a feeling they might want what I find, then I'll ask, are you Ok me keeping what I find. Most say sure and say just show me what you find. I can think of only a few occasions where I've been told they expect who keeps what. Always keeping it light and friendly, I'll say sorry I can't make that deal, I say I've got a great deal of time and money invested and my treasure to trash ratio is not all that great. I politely thank them for their time and move on.
Another thing you can ask the owner, did you loose any jewelry or keys and say if I find them I will be happy to return it to you. This infers you don't plan on returning the other stuff you find. Early on I had learned not to show shiny as one or two owners although they said I could keep what I found tried to take the silver coins. I had to remind them of the deal and knew then that was the last hunt there.
Avoid contracts, a red flag for sure.
All this may sound a little deceptive but what they don't know won't hurt.
I have many times donated finds back to the owners, especially Ihps or old wheats that coincide with the build date of the house. Dog tags and lockets are also appreciated by the owners. As long as its my decision. Last year in Dec. I was hunting an old yard, the lady had 2 small children and was loosing her house. I gave her a Visa and a Pizza Hut gift cards so the kids would have food and presents for Christmas. I say this because I don't want to sound cold or callous but when it comes to Md'ing I work too hard not to keep what I find. Good luck. Mark

My advice, move on. Sounds like compounded aggravation. If they think they are sitting on a gold mine let them buy a metal detector and try. There are plenty of doors to knock on. The way I see it, I've got a lot of time and money and sweat equity in my hobby so my finds are the fruit of my labor. I try to avoid any upfront questions, I usually infer I keep what I find by showing pics, (never any shiny) saying I never sell anything and my kids want to know what to do with all my stuff when I'm gone. At this point if the guys/ladies demeanor changes and I get a feeling they might want what I find, then I'll ask, are you Ok me keeping what I find. Most say sure and say just show me what you find. I can think of only a few occasions where I've been told they expect who keeps what. Always keeping it light and friendly, I'll say sorry I can't make that deal, I say I've got a great deal of time and money invested and my treasure to trash ratio is not all that great. I politely thank them for their time and move on.
Another thing you can ask the owner, did you loose any jewelry or keys and say if I find them I will be happy to return it to you. This infers you don't plan on returning the other stuff you find. Early on I had learned not to show shiny as one or two owners although they said I could keep what I found tried to take the silver coins. I had to remind them of the deal and knew then that was the last hunt there.
Avoid contracts, a red flag for sure.
All this may sound a little deceptive but what they don't know won't hurt.
I have many times donated finds back to the owners, especially Ihps or old wheats that coincide with the build date of the house. Dog tags and lockets are also appreciated by the owners. As long as its my decision. Last year in Dec. I was hunting an old yard, the lady had 2 small children and was loosing her house. I gave her a Visa and a Pizza Hut gift cards so the kids would have food and presents for Christmas. I say this because I don't want to sound cold or callous but when it comes to Md'ing I work too hard not to keep what I find. Good luck. Mark

:waytogo::waytogo:

Sdub, don't take this wrong, but : I say you went about it all wrong. To start discussing contracts and split methods, before you've even hunted, is the FASTEST way to get a "no" to your permission request. :roll: To start talking negotiations, and putting contracts in front of them to sign, just conjures up legal hassles, treasure chests, blah blah.

I mean, dude, this is THEIR land. So OF COURSE the stuff on the land belongs to them.

All I ever tell them, before a hunt (if they even ask) is : "You're welcome to anything I find." And invariably, just like CFMCT and JNimons say : It rarely ever works out in any kind of negative way.

I'll just pile everything on to my tailgate at the post-game show. And will pull a token or a seated coin I want aside next to the pile. And say : "Here's one I don't have in my collection, can I have this one ?" And will push the rest of the pile bulk towards them (wheaties, common silver, etc.....). And I have NEVER had anyone say "no, give it all to me".

Yes, on the extremely rare occasion that I have had to fork over everything , these were cases where I was hunting obvious historic landmarks. Where the stuff in in museums now. So pictures are just-as-good in my book. The thrill of the hunt is a prize in my book.

And when you think of it, this hobby is about 99% show & tell anyhow (none of us are "getting rich" by this). So to show & tell, all ya need is pictures, right ? You still have your boasting rights, eh ? Presto, that's 99% of the hobby in the first place.

Tom... I got permission on a property that had never been hunted because I said almost same thing... they can have whatever they wanted.... they didn't want anything... I had to beg them to take a few silver coins.. :lol:

I said to them if you don't want them give them to your children... I can go back there anytime I want... it was a historic homestead of a famous family...

Back
Top Bottom