In memory of imalookin2

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
I met Greg years ago through this forum. I was actually googling detecting my area, and it leads you to comments about the subject. Greg didn't know back then if you put exact beach names in your comment it winds up at the top of the feed on google. Turned out me and him lived on the same long street on the river. Greg lived in an RV and i lived in a house.

Met up with Greg and hunted a couple times. I keep pretty guarded about info on exact beach names, so i told Greg how his info on spots popped up when you google it. After that he learned about nick naming all the beaches we detected. I used to do that in my notes when i was into fishing tournaments of where i was fishing.

After i gained Greg's trust he was saying how much certain beaches stank at detecting. I was asking "Do they?" He was then asking "What do you mean?" I told him "Dude, where do you think I've been digging all my gold?" Greg was saying "Say what?" Then i taught him the basics. After that i created a monster:lol:

Beaches back in the day hadn't been ripped out by storms in a long while. I'm talking years! So i show Greg how to locate long, high sandbars. What we'd do back then is wade out to a long sandbar and stick your foot out to touch it. Then count three steps towards shore. Lots of stuff was lined up just waiting on our scoops to dig it out. At low tide the sandbar creates an underwater river. We'd travel through the trench and get out at the other end and walk back up the beach and enter the trench again and repeat. We watched each others backs for safety concerns like rips.

We had a lot of laughs, fun, etc. for a couple years. When my dad was going downhill, Greg was someone to talk to. My wife at the time didn't really care what you had going on in your life. All she cared about was you can detect twice a week max. And that was for three hours max, including leaving and getting home. We went to Daytona once and i was late. Man i caught hell! She always thought i was cheating. I guess i was sort of? Hanging out with Greg on the beach?:laughing:

Me and Greg used to have a contest on who got the best finds. Loser bought lunch at a seafood place. I was buying every new detector that came out. And Greg kept swinging his "teenie weenie", which was an 8" excal ll. He usually held his own until i broke out the dualfield:lol:

While my dad was passing i couldn't detect for a few months. I lived on the beach through Greg's eye's. My marriage ended after my dad passed and Greg was there to help me move my vehicles to my new location. Not sure how awkward Greg felt? But man what a friend! Meantime Greg was wanting to be close to his stepmom, who he considered his real mom. I do not know if what i was going through with my own mom's health opened Greg's eyes to what is important or not? But he was a Great guy for going to be close to family, since he was pretty much alone here, except for a few forum friends we detected with.

Greg needed to get his RV going after sitting a couple years. He asked me if we could drop the fuel tank from below. I was like:shock:. Then Greg was like " I think we can cut through the floor? Know how to cut aluminum?" I'm saying "Sure, you just turn a circular saw blade backwards." Greg said " I'd prefer you do it since you got experience." We found out real quick they run electric lines and water lines side by side in an RV floor between two sheets of aluminum when we saw sparks and water at the same time:shock::lol: After the water repair he found some young kid wanting to siphon the gas to use in a car. The young guy lived in another county and spent three days traveling for $70 worth of gas. Talk about determination. :lol:

Todays beaches here do not look like they did back then when me and Greg used to detect together. The storms wrecked dunes that were there before i was born. So some of our prime spots closed not long after Greg moved.

Greg found lots of bucket listers including a gold coin, 18K Rolex watch, and even a real gold pulltab. I will post a link to the pulltab below.
gold pulltabhttp://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=197957
gold coin http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=194813
I called Greg late last month and he sounded bad. If i would have known that would be the last time i talked to him, I'd have said more. Me and Greg were both September babies. And my joke was "You know what our parents were doing Christmas don't you?" Greg would say " You ain't right brother!":lol: Greg passed on Nov 9th and will be put to rest Dec. 8th in the St Pete National Cemetery.

If there are gold pulltabs in the sky, Greg will find them! imalookin2, i'm gonna miss you brother!

Attachments

• greg1.jpg
    greg1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 480
  • greg2.jpg
    greg2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 472
  • greg3.jpg
    greg3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 475
  • greg4.jpg
    greg4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Great write up. I remember that golden pull tab. R.I.P. :pirate:
...My wife at the time didn't really care what you had going on in your life. All she cared about was you can detect twice a week max. And that was for three hours max, including leaving and getting home. We went to Daytona once and i was late. Man i caught hell! She always thought i was cheating. I guess i was sort of? Hanging out with Greg on the beach?:laughing:...
:laughing: There was a period in my life that I could relate to that. (I'm sure going to not miss my wife if she tried that again :yes:).

Sorry to hear about the loss of a great friend in Greg. They are hard to come by and you were there for each other. I can only count mine on 1 hand unfortunately. The Gold Pulltab I've never seen before. Not really into wearing any jewelry. But that piece , I would wear proudly !

Nice write up Larry... I had talked to Greg a couple months ago... he told me what was going on... he had hoped to start detecting again when he felt a little better... its a shame that didn't happen... I will miss his posting style...

One thread I remember he posted a brass ring... I knew it was brass but I wanted to let him down easy... that was a fun thread... the good old days..

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=126738

He then posted another thread where he had to eat crow lol...

I'm just posting a single post from that thread...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=1371210&postcount=33

I'm going to miss Greg he was a good guy...

One of my Clearwater buddies hunted with him a good bit …. That’s where I met him. Sorry to hear he passed. Seems metal detector guys are a lot like soldiers…. They just fade away and people wonder what happened to them. I’ve met a lot of hunters I could count on being at the beach when I got there …. Then one day just gone

One of my Clearwater buddies hunted with him a good bit …. That’s where I met him. Sorry to hear he passed. Seems metal detector guys are a lot like soldiers…. They just fade away and people wonder what happened to them. I’ve met a lot of hunters I could count on being at the beach when I got there …. Then one day just gone

Several I've wondered where they went where i am. Used to be hardcore hunters. Then just gone. Disappeared.

Rip

I liked Imalookin2 , sorry for Greg's loss Larry , wondered why he hasn't been posting more here , now we all know , thanks for letting us know , we will be missing a great member now , a wake up call for me , as life is short , and Im not living everyday like its my last , the way things are now , it's very hard to be happy in life , hang in there bro . Greg Rip brother , you will alway's be remembered here :tissue::stormy:

“Ima”, as I called him, was a pretty entertaining guy here on the forum. He’s one of the first to reach out when I first joined. Good guy. Made me laugh. I’ll miss his wit and humor.

God bless you Ima!

Back
Top Bottom