New Minelab Manticore

PSPR

Anyone else have their order in to get the new Minelab Manticore? I'm excited to see what it can do here in Texas. I don't think it is going to be released until after the end of the year, although, Minelab has run adds indicating they are trying to get it out in time for Christmas.

Two grand so you can maybe find a few more Mercs and Rosies. No thanks! You can buy 1,000 silver dimes on eBay for that price!

Two grand so you can maybe find a few more Mercs and Rosies. No thanks! You can buy 1,000 silver dimes on eBay for that price!

I'm all for "new mousetraps" (they're fine & dandy), but I am convinced that : 99% of "good finds" are a function of : Location location location. Not : machine machine machine.

I'm using 20 yr. old technology (Explorer II) and : Do just fine . I keep up with my buddies using the "latest greatest". Admittedly though : I reach for the old Tesoro silver sabre or Deus I, when super-iron-ridden masking conditions present themselves . Doh !

Before I bought the Nox 600 (I'm never going to be swinging a 2 kilobuck detector) I only had the Whites 2500/D and the Tesoro Vaquero. For my *LAST* detector, I wanted one with target ID. I didn't get the Nox 800 because I have no need of specialized gold modes, and I didn't get the Legend because it was still getting software fixes at the time.

I doubt I will ever find enough valuables to make my money back, so there would be even less of a chance of me making my money back with a $2K Manticore. I have other hobbies, and I wanted a *good* detector, not necessarily the worlds greatest detector.

In conclusion, I'm happy with what I have.

--Tom

I'm all for "new mousetraps" (they're fine & dandy), but I am convinced that : 99% of "good finds" are a function of : Location location location. Not : machine machine machine.

I'm using 20 yr. old technology (Explorer II) and : Do just fine

Yeah, I'm still using the E-Trac Terry (Detector) sold me used forever ago, which has found over 1400 silvers, including a reasonable amount this year, at least IMHO (best year for me since 2013, and I don't get out like I did in the old days).

Its a bit beat up now, and the headphone jack is failing, and when it does who knows what I'll do, but I agree location trumps machine. An hour doing research beats an hour arguing on the forum which machine is better.

That said, tell a fisherman or a hunter you could buy 1000 fish or 1000 packs of meat for the cost of their gear, their boat, their truck. They will look at you like you have 3 heads, and rightly so.

Life is about experience. The cold math says all of this we that do is irrational (buying the next round of gear that will find 10 more mercs or catch 10 more fish) , but I will counter with -- "lets keep the experience in life".

I'll be first in line. And this from a legitimate practicing economist who studies this sort of stuff. I'm not saying buy the next machine just to find 10 more mercs; buy the next machine, or line of fishing gear, if it improves your experience.

I think we tend to forget the experiential aspect of life sometimes, and I think we shouldn't.

JMHO, as always

.... Life is about experience. ...

I like your creative writing style :cool: And yes : Although, truth-be-told, a radio shack detector could have found most of my stuff (since I'm in balls-to-the-walls -sites), yet : I would NEVER BE CAUGHT DEAD without my beloved favorite detectors :laughing::laughing:

Like a golfer without his $300 club or $100 "specialized golf balls" : You just *have* to have the best gear, :roll: haha

Yeah, I'm still using the E-Trac Terry (Detector) sold me used forever ago, which has found over 1400 silvers, including a reasonable amount this year, at least IMHO (best year for me since 2013, and I don't get out like I did in the old days).

Its a bit beat up now, and the headphone jack is failing, and when it does who knows what I'll do, but I agree location trumps machine. An hour doing research beats an hour arguing on the forum which machine is better.

That said, tell a fisherman or a hunter you could buy 1000 fish or 1000 packs of meat for the cost of their gear, their boat, their truck. They will look at you like you have 3 heads, and rightly so.

Life is about experience. The cold math says all of this we that do is irrational (buying the next round of gear that will find 10 more mercs or catch 10 more fish) , but I will counter with -- "lets keep the experience in life".

I'll be first in line. And this from a legitimate practicing economist who studies this sort of stuff. I'm not saying buy the next machine just to find 10 more mercs; buy the next machine, or line of fishing gear, if it improves your experience.

I think we tend to forget the experiential aspect of life sometimes, and I think we shouldn't.

JMHO, as always

Well said.

I'm using 20 yr. old technology (Explorer II) and : Do just fine . I keep up with my buddies using the "latest greatest". Admittedly though : I reach for the old Tesoro silver sabre or Deus I, when super-iron-ridden masking conditions present themselves . Doh !
Whatcha talkin' bout Tommy Gun ? When I'm at location , location , location and 6 serious hunters are swinging Nox , Nox , Nox... Guess what ? I need machine , machine , machine. Every advantage I can get thank you. This also helps me enjoy my "experience" as well. Not always is it about location. But about machine and the knowledge on how to get the max out of it.

Whatcha talkin' bout Tommy Gun ? When I'm at location , location , location and 6 serious hunters are swinging Nox , Nox , Nox... Guess what ? I need machine , machine , machine. Every advantage I can get thank you. This also helps me enjoy my "experience" as well. Not always is it about location. But about machine and the knowledge on how to get the max out of it.

If there are 6 other people at your location... maybe you need a better (less obvious) location ;) Unless you're talking about the beach

If there are 6 other people at your location... maybe you need a better (less obvious) location ;) Unless you're talking about the beach
Yes , I'm 99% a beach hunter. And there is a reason you can find that many guys specifically in a small area. Dirt , I totally agree.

Well, I agree that it's all about the experience and enjoying yourself. Learning your machine is probably at the top of the list of what a detectorist should be doing the most.

And, yes, you can't find gold or silver if you can't get the coil over it. So, location is of the utmost importance. But, it isn't always obvious. :D

Did Minelab release a price increase, even before releasing the detector?? I thought the MSRP for the M-core is set at $1600 US, which likely means folks who know better can probably knock off at least another 5-10% by talking directly to a dealer or forum sponsor….not $2K?

That said, I realize I’m pretty much splitting hairs - I believe any detector priced over $1000 sells to only a fairly small subset of the overall detecting community, especially considering the quality of performance that can be harnessed with sub-$1000 detectors. Throw in the current economic downturn, and the price differential is all the more magnified and probably qualifies as exorbitant for most folks in the hobby.

Unless the M-core exceeds performance expectations, I’ll pass. Like Achaios, I’m perfectly happy with what I’ve got for now.

Got one ordered. Looking forward to getting to know it, whenever it finally ships. Three years work improving on the Nox by the best engineering team in the business, you know it's going to be good.

First in line for the 8x5.5 coil too, but don't expect to see that for some months after the machine gets here.

- Dave

It seems odd to me that all we've seen so far about the Manticore so far is just selected beta testers, showing nothing of real value about an undeliverable new metal detector, AND people are pre ordering at $1600. Jm2c

JMHO, as always

Well said randy. My old 1995 Toyota truck got me from point A to point B just fine, but that didn't stop me from buying a new Sierra.

Learning a new machine is half the fun for me. I don't need the new Manticore, but I'll be getting one!

Back
Top Bottom