Cherry picking with frequency?

John Madill

Elite Member
I can understand cherry picking a site by notching out low signals so only high vdi numbers come through.

Can you use a multi frequency machine to cherry pick silver by selecting a low kHz number like 5? Or go for gold with a high kHz number like 40?

What does a high # exclude? Will silver items have a chance to show up at 40?

And the same question for a low number like 5? Does gold have any chance to ring the bell?

Thanks!

I can understand cherry picking a site by notching out low signals so only high vdi numbers come through.

Can you use a multi frequency machine to cherry pick silver by selecting a low kHz number like 5? Or go for gold with a high kHz number like 40?

What does a high # exclude? Will silver items have a chance to show up at 40?

And the same question for a low number like 5? Does gold have any chance to ring the bell?

Thanks!

the frequency you detect in has no bearing on notching out targets if i am understanding your question a lower frequency allows a detector to see silver better and a higher frequency allows a detector to see gold targets better either low or high frequencies can see gold or silver, I mainly detect for gold nuggets so I use the higher frequency detectors, I have seen gold nuggets ring up all the way across the TID board including negative numbers, what you are referring to is discrimination notching out certain TIDs can and does eliminate a lot of things but you have to understand when you notch target IDs out it comes at a cost you could also be notching out gold targets or vice a versa, that is why as a gold nugget detectorist I run wide open and do not use any discrimination the only time I discriminate anything out is if I get into an area that has thousands of iron targets but I discriminate things out with the thought in mind that I could miss a small gold nugget so I use vary vary little discrimination if any at all I pretty much detect in all metal at all times

hope this helps

Low frequencies are better at detecting high conductors, and vica versa, but that really only applies to weak targets. By "weak targets", I mean targets at the fringe of detection depth, or very small targets such as a small earring, or a deeper coin on edge. In other words, most targets will be detected with about the same intensity, regardless of the frequency used.

5 khz or a SMF mode that is weighted no higher than 10 khz (preferably leaning heavily toward 5 khz), will ID coins masked by nonferrous trash, much better than any frequency(s) that go over about 5 khz. But, such low frequencies can also cause some bottle caps to ID higher than normal.

Last edited:
Low frequencies are better at detecting high conductors, and vica versa, but that really only applies to weak targets. By "weak targets", I mean targets at the fringe of detection depth, or very small targets such as a small earring, or a deeper coin on edge. In other words, most targets will be detected with about the same intensity, regardless of the frequency used.

5 khz or a SMF mode that is weighted no higher than 10 khz (preferably leaning heavily toward 5 khz), will ID coins masked by nonferrous trash, much better than any frequency(s) that go over about 5 khz. But, such low frequencies can also cause some bottle caps to ID higher than normal.

Agreed, when I put the Equinox into 5khz to avoid EMI I started finding crown caps by the truck load that rang up just like dimes, sometimes quarters. Multi freq is just inherently better at providing a correct ID in my usage anyway.

You said it just fine oldkoot. I only added a couple of things to what you said :)

Back
Top Bottom