Colonial super haul, one of everything 1600-1900 (photo heavy)

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Well the team and I are back from another colonial super haul. If you're unfamiliar with my older threads (here) we're on a long standing family farm that has heavy history sitting here in VA. Starting with early settlers and natives, the area saw heavy traffic sitting between a couple towns and major waterways. The last hunt was full of special coins and relics and this past week was a hunt to die for. Three of us spent about 5 hours a day, then a couple 8 hour days on the weekends checking every inch of a new corner of the woods. We located two new home sites towards the end that started producing very well. One of our guys even grabbed 7 silvers in one hole! My total coin count was 24 for the time and I will break it all out below.

For me: two 1600s Philip iv cobs, one 1625-1649 Charles I Rose Farthing (thought it was a broken button until i scrubbed it!), a quarter of a 1722 two Reale, three 1773 VA half pennies, 5 large cents, 1864 two cent, 1852 Trime, 1853 seated dime with counter stamp, 1916 barber dime, 4 IHPs, two 41 mercs, and 1 buffalo nickel.

I also wound up with a French military button marking the 13th regiment who was on the peninsula in 1781, a beautiful Federal Cavalry button (my first eagle with letter), some fancy buttons, I believe a handmade ring (came off the home site), a USN rank ring?, a sash buckle, and a pile of trinkets to ID.

The other guys managed a total of 4 large cents, 3 VA half cents, 7 silver hole (1828 capped quarter, 1837 capped dime, two mexican silvers, spanish 2 reale, spanish 1 reale, and a spanish 1/2 reale).

I know I am forgetting stuff, but thanks for looking. I will have a section at the end to ID some parts and pieces.

(click to enlarge photos)

My total portion

double cobs in a hole, 1/2 reale size

cut from a 1722 two reale

1852 trime

rose farthing

1852 seated dime with stamp

virginia half pennies

the large ladies

French 1781 13th Regi button, Cavalry, and a fancy button

Coin closeup for me

the 7 silver hole

Some bits and trinkets to ID

Cabin: some kind of broken mounts on the back, I think its a bracelet tab or some kind of pin. *** identified *** padlock dust cover, late 1800s. Tab with image: I think it is some kind of earlier federal eagle stamped into the tab. Butterfly button: Guessing its a fancy button, super tiny. Volcano button: found another image online marked as "Krakatoa button 1895" but there's zero information with it.

Religious medal or suspender clip? Eye, hands, and a lamb. Either a clip or some kind of ribbon award.

*** identified *** Allied Expeditionary Forces ring! I believe this ring is USN due to the grandfather of the property. Rank and initials of "-EF" over three bars.

Last edited:
Holy Kittens there EmuDetector! I can see why that is a truly incredible week of detecting! Great age, variety, and such nice items! I can imagine your friend with the 7 SILVERS in ONE HOLE must have flipped his wicket over that find. Great going!

I found the exact same religious medal or clip in a site that turned up some of my earliest finds. I could never figure out what it was either. Congrats on some amazing finds, excellent post!

Thanks all! I wish we had photos of the 7 coming up at once. He's one of our older guys and forgets to do that lol. We have to spin him up on getting good pictures.

I found the exact same religious medal or clip in a site that turned up some of my earliest finds. I could never figure out what it was either. Congrats on some amazing finds, excellent post!

Does yours look like it has any pieces I'm missing? I feel like the back was a suspender clip of some kind.

Awesome, I've never seen a counterstamped silver coin dug before. And an 1800s coin spill with both American and foreign coins is ridiculously cool. That spill had quite a bit of purchasing power. Thanks for sharing

Awesome, I've never seen a counterstamped silver coin dug before. And an 1800s coin spill with both American and foreign coins is ridiculously cool. That spill had quite a bit of purchasing power. Thanks for sharing

Thank you! The crazy thing is I was mentioning that whole day I was missing a seated dime in the collection, then last signal walking out in the dark finds it for me. It's also not only counter stamped, but it looks like the strike was off center. The edge is much wider on the right side.

Actually MINE looks like it's missing pieces :lol: yours is in much better shape than mine. I'll see if I can find it. Congrats again, incredible finds!

If you do, I'd like to see for sure. Thanks again!

Absolutely what I look forward to finding when I hunt congratulations

That’s a veterans Allied Expeditionary Forces ring from WW2. Here’s a picture of one.

Attachments

• 01A6B8B7-A90E-4B22-A06F-FCD94B167A77.jpg
    01A6B8B7-A90E-4B22-A06F-FCD94B167A77.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 758
Thanks all for the comments!

Spectacular. That Charles I farthing is a killer find.
Thank you! I should have put something next to it for size. It's about the size of my pinky nail. I actually thought it was a toasted button and when I gave it a scrub with a brush I saw the crown. Shocked all of us!

That’s a veterans Allied Expeditionary Forces ring from WW2. Here’s a picture of one.

Badass find, thank you!

Great Scott!! That’s some serious return on some serious work! Fantastic stuff…. I was going to be lazy today but you have motivated me to get out and detect on this fine Sunday…

And let me be the only one to congratulate you on the vintage toothbrush!

Wow! What an amazing collection of finds! Bucket listers galore!

Thank you for sharing an incredible hunt. I keep scrolling back through those fantastic photos!

Back
Top Bottom