Christmas and Birthday presents

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
When I was young, under say 14 years of age I waited in suspense for Christmas and birthday. Especially Christmas. I could not hardly wait for Christmas morning.

One year about 7 years of age got a Lionel Electric train set. Boy did I love that present and played with it almost endlessly.

around 12 I got a brand new Schwinn bicycle. most years for either birthday or Christmas I would bet a Marx playset of some sort. Space Academy, Knight Set were two I remember.

But as an adult, it seems that people who give me gifts seem to think I really like underwear, ties, socks and slippers. Maybe that is my fault by thanking them on each occasion for their gift. Maybe I should have just said, what more clothes?

I have found out I can recapture that childhood suspense and anticipation when I order a new metal detector. Ok, UPS where the heck is it? Can't wait.

Don't let the dealer or person ship it via USPA or FedX or my might be held in suspense for 30 days for forever.

So if you want to capture the Christmas of your past childhood buy yourself a new detector. New or used, just one that is new to you. You get to play with it for a long time. Compare that to a drawer full of ties, underwear and socks.

But as an adult, it seems that people who give me gifts seem to think I really like underwear, ties, socks and slippers. Maybe that is my fault by thanking them on each occasion for their gift. Maybe I should have just said, what more clothes?

This reminds me of one of Bob Rivers' Christmas Carol parodies "Didn't I get this last year?" sung to the tune of "Do you hear what I hear?".

My father passed away 4 days ago at the age of 91, 5 days after my birthday. The last birthday card he sent me, with a gift card in it, "disappeared" in the bowels of that horror that doesn't deserve to have the word "Service" in it, the USPS.

BTW, a friend of mine got his nephews a bunch of clothes that they needed for Christmas. When their father said, "Now what do you say?", instead of the expected "Thanks!", they replied "You didn't have to get us ALL CLOTHES!". :)

--Tom

Back
Top Bottom