It's time for a new machine...

Ghostcat78

Hello, I ive been detecting since 2005 when I started with a Whites Prism V. That's what Ive been using for the last 17 years. I ordered a minelab pinpointer 35 to help my digs. My gosh technology has improved in 17 years! I honestly haven't looked at detectors for that long. In fact my last login to this forum was 8/4/2006. My old Prism V still works great, but I feel like i'm soon due for an upgrade. I've read through the forum quite a bit. I've basically come to the conclusion that people like what they like. I just need to pick a unit and get to know it well. Top of my list is a Nokta Legend. That seems to be a popular unit amongst the people in here. Is there any manufacturer that still makes things in America? Any other recommendations on a $1000 or less unit? My main search grounds are old homes, public areas like parks and event locations, and freshwater beaches. Also, where is a reputable source to buy a new one that preferably gives 1st responder/Military discounts. Thanks.

Garrett/Fisher would be the USA brand but i am willing to bet parts are made in China.

I have both the Equinox and the Legend, and my vote goes for the Nox. While the Legend is a good machine, I think the Nox has better target ID. I think only the 600 is needed for you, add in the 15% military discount and a Steve's detector rod with counterbalance and you're still under $1k. The counterbalance making swinging a joy.

Any questions PM me.

Steve

I have both the Equinox and the Legend, and my vote goes for the Nox. While the Legend is a good machine, I think the Nox has better target ID. I think only the 600 is needed for you, add in the 15% military discount and a Steve's detector rod with counterbalance and you're still under $1k. The counterbalance making swinging a joy.

Any questions PM me.

Steve

Good call for high performance while staying within budget.đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I believe Minelab gives a 15% discount for veterans. My choice would be the Equinox 800. It has more to offer and gives you room to grow. You can always add the extras later. And I have the feeling there is going to be alot of lightly used ones coming up for sale should you decide to but used. Good luck. Mark

Wait a little longer. If minelab is putting out a new machine (rumored) then you should be able to get a great deal on a tricked out Nox or buy their new one and not need all the extras.

Hi GhostCat,

The answer to your question lies partly in what you're looking for in a new machine. As I'm sure you've noticed already, there seem to be 3 machines that are most liked on this an other forums I frequent (in no particular order): MineLab's Equinox 800 (Australia), XP's Deus II (France), and Nokta's Legend (Turkey). All of these have loud proponents and detractors. I personally swing a Garrett Ace Apex (USA), which gets far too little credit on this board (not sure why).

Any of these four machines would be an improvement to your current machine in that they are: a) much lighter (the Apex is only 2 pounds), b) multi-frequency, c) much better at discriminating / ID'ing between multiple targets, and d) much longer battery life. I chose the Apex in part because I have some high-tension powerlines through my yard, and I liked the Apex's option to let me choose between multiple channels to eliminate EMI. In part I chose it because of my preference for an American made product, and Garrett's reputation for stellar customer service.

Back to your requirements, if you're nugget hunting, you'll probably favor the Equinox. If want to submerse it, the Deus or the Legend would be better (the Equinox is notorious for leaking, and the Apex is rain-proof but the control box is not submersible). For general all-around coin/relic hunting in the dirt or dry sand, all four machines will suit fine. [BTW, one of the other reasons I got the Apex was because of it's "Multi-Salt" mode, I've used it in both wet and dry sand at the beach with great results].

Bottom line is that for the price I think you'd be pleased with either the Legend or the Apex. As was alluded to earlier, MineLab just announced a new machine, so expect to find a lot of used Equinoxes out there for a reasonable price soon.

HH!

I have a mine lab 800 brand new, never used and never registered either just put together and charged it. I have a 15 inch coil for it, I bought it used.I have a carbon fiber rod for it, it just needs to be repaired some, but will work fine for now. And i put a a wood dowel in it and it needs some washers for it.

I'm asking $950.00 Plus shipping. I only take USPS Money orders. It protects both of us.

I'll throw in a vote for the Legend. Great all around machine and the price is very affordable as well. I loved my Equinox but like the Legend more. Hunted with the Deus as a backup to the equinox and traded it in on the Deus 2. The Deus 2 is gone along with my Equinox. I own two Legends now. Only machines I own and I'm happy. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'd go for the American made atpro if your not hitting the ocean much,so easy to use and you almost never have to dig bottle caps . I think i've posted a couple thousand rings i've found with mine,

I have the equinox 800...but for my type of hunting could have got the nox 600..which easily fits in your budget...

Two other things.. any newer detector expect a surprise with the sounds and tones...
and #2...log on more...this site is great for inspiration and great for answering questions and tips...

I would vote nox 600(budget wise)...but as mentioned get ready for a new world!

Oh forgot to mention I was a long time Whites user and their customer service was fantastic... I was very good with the DFX years ago..still have it... was featured in their magazine a few times... Make the move... I have used the nox 99% of the time this year...once you learn a newer detector you will wonder why you waited...

Practically any of the popular new units will be a breath of fresh air olcompared to what you a r e used to.

If you could swing a few dollars more I cam hook you up with my dealer on a new xp deus 2 that is a superb unit and will keep you happy for years to come.

Legend or nox, coin flip imo. Both great machines, Legend finds coins on edge like there’s no tomorrow..Nox is a little lighter,and a tad bit better but from my experience with both,,but its splitting hairs..Can’t go wrong with either...

Counterbalance

Any questions PM me.

Steve

I added a six ounce counterbalance to my NOX 800. It's homemade and works great.
HH everyone

I believe Minelab gives a 15% discount for veterans. My choice would be the Equinox 800. It has more to offer and gives you room to grow. You can always add the extras later. And I have the feeling there is going to be alot of lightly used ones coming up for sale should you decide to but used. Good luck. Mark

I would like to know how you figure the Equinox 800 has more to offer then the Legend, the capabilities of both are virtually the same, I detect with friends that have the nox 800 when we detect together we see absolutely no differences in detecting capabilities between the legend and the Nox 800

the nox 800 has pretty much the same modes as the legend, both have adjustable iron bias, adjustable recovery speed, Legend far exceeds in build quality no need to replace the shaft on Legend, Legend coils no coil mounting ears breakage that has been reported, Legend no known water leakage issues, also a collapsible shaft that you do not pay extra for on the Legend, Nokta/Macro still putting out updates for the Legend
(when is the last time your Nox 800 has had a update offered), so you tell me how you figure the Nox 800 offers more in fact the Legend has a few other things that I have not mentioned that the Nox 800 does not have I believe, I have never used a Nox 800, but I do own two Legends I have briefly looked at my friends nox 800, and compared to my Legend I was vary vary un impressed by the Nox 800

Again I ask you what does the Nox 800 offer that the Legend does not ?

I would like to know how you figure the Equinox 800 has more to offer then the Legend, the capabilities of both are virtually the same, I detect with friends that have the nox 800 when we detect together we see absolutely no differences in detecting capabilities between the legend and the Nox 800

the nox 800 has pretty much the same modes as the legend, both have adjustable iron bias, adjustable recovery speed, Legend far exceeds in build quality no need to replace the shaft on Legend, Legend coils no coil mounting ears breakage that has been reported, Legend no known water leakage issues, also a collapsible shaft that you do not pay extra for on the Legend, Nokta/Macro still putting out updates for the Legend
(when is the last time your Nox 800 has had a update offered), so you tell me how you figure the Nox 800 offers more in fact the Legend has a few other things that I have not mentioned that the Nox 800 does not have I believe, I have never used a Nox 800, but I do own two Legends I have briefly looked at my friends nox 800, and compared to my Legend I was vary vary un impressed by the Nox 800

Again I ask you what does the Nox 800 offer that the Legend does not ?

I refuse to get into a debate over mine's bigger better goes deeper than brand X. I recommended the 800 because I have been hunting with it for over 4 1/2 years and dug 200 + silver coins and a ton of other great finds.The machine is a proven winner, not a Johnny come lately clone. If your happy with you machine, God bless. Me, I'm happy with my 800 and look forward to an updated version of it. However you and one other Legend fanboy crack me up. Yous guys seem to spend more time pounding the keyboard promoting / defending the machine than you do posting what you do find. I do wish you luck and success with your chosen machine. You need not respond, this will be the last I will comment on this subject. Mark

Mark,

Sounds more like sour grapes that Nokta made a detector that has the same performance as the Nox, much better build quality, and a significantly lower purchase price / accessory prices.

Well, anyway, your post is full of logical fallacies, yet you couldn't even answer Oldkoot's simple question. Facts were presented, but none by you. You chose to bash and insult. That makes YOU the fanboy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom