Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 11-22-2022, 08:45 PM

Default Coinstar Spill? WTH???

I had to go to Hannaford today to pick up the 18 lb fresh turkey for the Thanksgiving dinner. Got it, all set, and went to the self-checkout. There is a Coinstar machine against the wall, and until recently, I never really even looked at the thing because I never use it. However, since joining the forum, I see members who regularly hit the Coinstar and find things. So, I have looked at it twice before in the last couple of weeks but it has been empty...up until today.

I finish the self checkout, and walk past the machine, and can see the change receptacle is loaded with change. I could see silver coins, and pennies. The place was busy and I kind of felt like a thief, so I scooped out all the coins as quickly as I could, shoved them in my pocket and headed out the door carrying the turkey.

I get to the car, load up the turkey, and pull the wad of coins out of my pocket to see what is there. What I grabbed was a total of 26 coins and one Guardian Angel token. There were 9 clad pennies, a couple nickels, and quite a few dimes and 1 quarter, but there were coins in the mix that I had never seen before.

I pull out my iphone and use the magnifying glass to look at them closer to see what I have...and I proceed to view, then snap pictures and use Google Lens, to figure out what they are. To my amazement, I have an excellent condition coin that turns out to be an 1897 Austrian Franz Josef 2 Heller! Next coin is a 1942 British Half Penny! Next one is a 1955 Portugese 10 Centavose. Last, but not least, out of the 10 dimes in the change receptacle, one of them is a 1962 silver Rosie.

I don't even know what to make of this whole thing. All I can think of is that someone went to the Coinstar and emptied a coin jar or something, and took the converted currency and just left the rejected coins in the receptacle.

I was thinking a Coinstar might have one or two coins rejected, but this was a fistfull of coins, and I am shocked to have found a pre-1900 Austrian coin among the rejects. Holy She She! I am going to start looking more often!
Attached Images

Liberating relics one scoop at a time. Coins-1861, '82, '87, '88, and '97 IHP's, 1 Large Cent, 2 1864 2 Cents. Gear-Simplex/Legend. 2022 Total-2,089 coins (34 silvers, 138 wheats), 1 gold ring, 1 gold bracelet, 1 silver crucifix, 4 silver rings, 2 silver pendants

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:16 PM

What a gobble , the turkey and the coins

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Turkey😁

Old 11-22-2022, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

I guess you never know, enjoy the turkey!

Old 11-22-2022, 10:42 PM

Heck... Best I have ever found at a coinstar is a worn out Buffalo nickel.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:24 PM
Supporter

Welcome to the unpredictable world of Coinstar!
Here's a couple of pieces of advice to make your Coinstar adventures a little safer.
Carry a few plastic bags and a rubber glove to keep "Cacazuma's Revenge" off your hands or in your pockets and wash the coins well in a detergent of some kind before handling them.
Congratulations on your nice haul!
Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your Turkey!

Old 11-23-2022, 09:29 PM

Now that is a nice spilll!

Old 11-24-2022, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

Yes you can find anything & everything in a coinstar. People try to dump anything that is coin shaped into it, I have found watch batteries, slugs, lots of foreign coins too, & lately a few silver Rosie's. Younger people don't know that we used to have silver in our currency so they have no clue. Bad for them, good for us. Keep checking them you will be surprised💰💰

Fisher f 70,Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger,Oldest coins 1900 o 1906 o Barber Dime,1916 s 1917 1919 1926 Mercs ' 42 d Walker,'54 Ben F. 1887 Std. Dime. 1871 Canada dime. Chinese cash coin. 1880+1878 +1888 Indian cent.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

Great Coinstar report! Nice shot of the turkey too… made me smile 😃

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Spectrum XLT (Rainbow), Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger, Root Slayer NOMAD digger

Old 11-28-2022, 10:51 PM

This is so cool. Awesome spill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-28-2022, 11:40 PM

You need to check this more often. perhaps there will be Roman coins from the 1st century BC. )))) Сool hunt