Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 10-04-2022, 09:34 PM

Default Advice on wireless setup - which to choose?

I am looking to switch to wireless audio on my Vanquish 440, and I am trying to decide between two setups. The Vanquish 440, unlike the 540, does not have a built-in wireless transmitter, so I'll have to buy a transmitter along with compatible headphones.

Setup 1: Garrett Z-Lynk setup
- $180: Garrett Z-Lynk transmitter headphone/combo ($169.95), 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter ($9.00)
- Pros: Slightly longer battery life (advertised at 30 hours), better headphones (in build quality, and maybe in sound?)
- Cons: Proprietary, stuck with the Garrett MS-3 headphones.

Setup 2: Bluetooth 5.0 aptX Low Latency setup
- $90 (Amazon): Transmitter (Trond, $29.99), headphones (SoundBlaster Jam V2, $39.99), Velcro strips to attach transmitter ($3.74), short 3.5mm cable ($9.39)
- Pros: Can use whichever compatible headphones you want, cheaper
- Cons: Shorter battery life than Garrett system

The Garrett setup has an advertised delay of 17ms, while aptX Low Latency is 40ms, but I don't think anyone's ears could tell the difference.

At twice the price of the Bluetooth setup, is the Garrett setup that much better (do the pricier headphones make a big difference)? Are there advantages to the Garrett system that I am overlooking? I thought I would ask to see if any of you have advice or opinions, before I pull the trigger on anything. I am leaning towards the Bluetooth setup because it is cheaper.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Elite Member

A long while back I pieced together a bluetooth solution. It was a bluetooth transmitter and receiver pair (I think they were identical -- both have switches, so they can be Tx or Rx) and hooked my favorite wired headphones to the receiver. Tucked the receiver in a pocket, headphone wires behind my back so they never got in the way. It was all APTX LL, "40ms" and responsive enough for me. Normal bluetooth, 150+ms, was also "usable" but annoying and tedious lag.

You're right, most folks will be fine with 40ms. I haven't used the faster Zlynk, 40ms is close enough to direct wired for me. Equinox is also 40ms, and it's just fine with the proper APTX LL headphones too.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:19 AM

I have both a Garrett Apex with the built in z-lynk and a Nokta Legend with the LL Bluetooth. The Garrett is definitely noticeably faster. Now, that said, the speed of the Bluetooth headphones on the Legend are pretty good, though I feel like it always takes me one more swing of the coil to find exactly where a target is vs with the Garrett. Not really a big deal

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Old 10-06-2022, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TorqueMaster View post
A long while back I pieced together a bluetooth solution. It was a bluetooth transmitter and receiver pair (I think they were identical -- both have switches, so they can be Tx or Rx) and hooked my favorite wired headphones to the receiver. Tucked the receiver in a pocket, headphone wires behind my back so they never got in the way. It was all APTX LL, "40ms" and responsive enough for me. Normal bluetooth, 150+ms, was also "usable" but annoying and tedious lag.

You're right, most folks will be fine with 40ms. I haven't used the faster Zlynk, 40ms is close enough to direct wired for me. Equinox is also 40ms, and it's just fine with the proper APTX LL headphones too.
Originally Posted by thefabulousnip View post
I have both a Garrett Apex with the built in z-lynk and a Nokta Legend with the LL Bluetooth. The Garrett is definitely noticeably faster. Now, that said, the speed of the Bluetooth headphones on the Legend are pretty good, though I feel like it always takes me one more swing of the coil to find exactly where a target is vs with the Garrett. Not really a big deal

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks TorqueMaster and thefabulousnip for the input. I ended up going with the Garrett Z-Lynk system because I want the headphones to sound as good as possible. So I could have gone for the Bluetooth system and picked out nicer aptX Low Latency headphones, but for simplicity's sake I bought the Garrett kit since everything I need is included.

The clad coins I have dug in the past year or so cover a large portion of the purchase which is great. It's going to be nice when I first hear the detector sounds through the new headphones, after using $10 el-cheapo headphones for the past year.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chroma View post
I am looking to switch to wireless audio on my Vanquish 440, and I am trying to decide between two setups. The Vanquish 440, unlike the 540, does not have a built-in wireless transmitter, so I'll have to buy a transmitter along with compatible headphones.

Setup 1: Garrett Z-Lynk setup
- $180: Garrett Z-Lynk transmitter headphone/combo ($169.95), 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter ($9.00)
- Pros: Slightly longer battery life (advertised at 30 hours), better headphones (in build quality, and maybe in sound?)
- Cons: Proprietary, stuck with the Garrett MS-3 headphones.

Setup 2: Bluetooth 5.0 aptX Low Latency setup
- $90 (Amazon): Transmitter (Trond, $29.99), headphones (SoundBlaster Jam V2, $39.99), Velcro strips to attach transmitter ($3.74), short 3.5mm cable ($9.39)
- Pros: Can use whichever compatible headphones you want, cheaper
- Cons: Shorter battery life than Garrett system

The Garrett setup has an advertised delay of 17ms, while aptX Low Latency is 40ms, but I don't think anyone's ears could tell the difference.

At twice the price of the Bluetooth setup, is the Garrett setup that much better (do the pricier headphones make a big difference)? Are there advantages to the Garrett system that I am overlooking? I thought I would ask to see if any of you have advice or opinions, before I pull the trigger on anything. I am leaning towards the Bluetooth setup because it is cheaper.

Thanks
I know this is a fairly old post, I went with the Trond to use with my Garrett 24K and it works great it has paired with every ear bud I have as well as the wireless headphones that came with my Legend I have paired it with two pairs of Black Shark Earbuds T1 and T4s 4 different Tozo brands the N9s, T10 and a couple of other Tozo Brands all of them works great with the Trond wireless transmitter I also have a pair of Bone conduction head phones made by a company called Inductivv that works really good with the Trond Transmitter

Old 11-22-2022, 06:24 AM
Supporter

I used this transceiver on 2 setups and it worked great. Low latency and is only $9 at Walmart. The Airpods were left by a renter but any headphones will work. I just got a 1/4" adapter.
Attached Images