Legend or Simplex?

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I currently have a Simplex +. I'm looking at the Legend and was wondering what ya'll think. Should I stay with the Simplex + or would it be a step up to go with the Legend?

I currently have a Simplex +. I'm looking at the Legend and was wondering what ya'll think. Should I stay with the Simplex + or would it be a step up to go with the Legend?

The Legend is a much more full-featured detector. It really depends on what you plan to hunt and where. Myself, I hunt mainly gold in tot lots and the Simplex+ does just as well as the Legend or any other detector I've owned.

The Legend is a much more full-featured detector. It really depends on what you plan to hunt and where. Myself, I hunt mainly gold in tot lots and the Simplex+ does just as well as the Legend or any other detector I've owned.

I have to disagree with the concept that the Simplex+ does just as well as the Legend if gold jewelry in tot lots or clean, mild ground is the detecting area. Expanding that out to gold jewelry at a saltwater beach or small gold nugget detecting or even low to mid conductor relic detecting......the Legend potentially has major advantages.

Here is a chart of air test results on the same targets at the same physical location testing the Simplex and Legend. The distances shown are for a target that is giving enough of a two way audio response for me to know there is something there. Actual accurate tone and target ID are smaller distances than the ones shown here.

I do tests like this for a viewpoint for a detector's potential sensitivity in the absolute best conditions as a comparison of what I can expect. This testing is not perfect but it gives me a general idea.

USA nickel is roughly 4.8 grams, dime is 2.2 grams, most small women's engagement/promise rings are around 1 gram and 10K earring backs are .2 to .4 grams.

Attachments

• DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,061
Last edited:
I have to disagree with the concept that the Simplex+ does just as well as the Legend if gold jewelry in tot lots or clean, mild ground is the detecting area. Expanding that out to gold jewelry at a saltwater beach or small gold nugget detecting or even low to mid conductor relic detecting......the Legend potentially has major advantages.

Here is a chart of air test results on the same targets at the same physical location testing the Simplex and Legend. The distances shown are for a target that is giving enough of a two way audio response for me to know there is something there. Actual accurate tone and target ID are smaller distances than the ones shown here.

I do tests like this for a viewpoint for a detector's potential sensitivity in the absolute best conditions as a comparison of what I can expect. This testing is not perfect but it gives me a general idea.

USA nickel is roughly 4.8 grams, dime is 2.2 grams, most small women's engagement/promise rings are around 1 gram and 10K earring backs are .2 to .4 grams.

Well, we can agree to disagree. I'm pretty confident I can take the Simplex+ through any tot lot and leave nothing behind for anything else to find. In fact, I'd say the same can be done with a 20 year old DFX. I've done it enough times.

Now I will say IF a tot lot has 12" of chips then yes, the legend would get deeper. I do have one tot lot that would meet that criteria. But as far as hitting gold, I don't think you'll find any the legend can hit that the Simplex can't also hit. Sensitivity-wise, not depth.

Not saying the Simplex+ is as good as the Legend by any means, just that IF you only hunt tot lots for gold, as I do, then I have nothing to gain with the Legend. The hardest gold I find in tot lots are earring backs and small chains. I've found and tested many with the simplex+, and have yet to find anything it won't hit. Like I said, I've been surprised that even the old DFX, when adjusted properly, can hit any small gold as well.

By far the vast majority of tot lots finds are 5" or less, and at that depth I'll bet the farm.

Well, we can agree to disagree. I'm pretty confident I can take the Simplex+ through any tot lot and leave nothing behind for anything else to find. In fact, I'd say the same can be done with a 20 year old DFX. I've done it enough times.

Now I will say IF a tot lot has 12" of chips then yes, the legend would get deeper. I do have one tot lot that would meet that criteria. But as far as hitting gold, I don't think you'll find any the legend can hit that the Simplex can't also hit. Sensitivity-wise, not depth.

By far the vast majority of tot lots finds are 5" or less, and at that depth I'll bet the farm.

My reason for taking the time to write my original response was to give a different perspective, not to simply contradict yours.

I appreciate the testing info AND the disclaimers. Don't suppose you have the same target air tests for your Equinox 800 in that notebook...??? I'm curious how close Notka got to the Minelab bar.

Here is a chart of air test results on the same targets at the same physical location testing the Simplex and Legend.

Thanks for the chart.

Compared to the other modes, the depth in gold mode on the coins is rather interesting.

I appreciate the testing info AND the disclaimers. Don't suppose you have the same target air tests for your Equinox 800 in that notebook...??? I'm curious how close Notka got to the Minelab bar.

I am going to try and stick to the topic. I will say that with similar settings and coils, the results are virtually identical. The Legend subjectively at least for me is slightly better at handling EMI so I can run it at higher sensitivity.

I made the switch specifically because I liked the Simplex and saw the Legend as a nice upgrade pretty much within the same package, and I have no regrets. I would have kept the Simplex for an every day detector in my vehicle 24/7 but I already have an Ace 400 for that role and don't need 2, plus without the ability to take out the battery I was worried it would quickly go dead unless I kept up charging cycles ,, So I sold it.

The sale price for tne legend that apparently runs to the end of the year makes it hard to resist.

TorqueMaster said:

I am going to try and stick to the topic. I will say that with similar settings and coils, the results are virtually identical. The Legend subjectively at least for me is slightly better at handling EMI so I can run it at higher sensitivity.

'nuff said. Thank you sir. We now return you to your previously scheduled discussion.

Legend hands down. I have ran both and the performance out of the Legend is top notch

good luck

Terry, I am also a simplex owner and have pretty much made up my mind to get me a legend. It's a top level detector at a very reasonable price. If there wasn't an inch of snow on the ground outside I would order it yesterday.

HDD

Back
Top Bottom