Newer Old user needs advice

Brucem

Finally retired, so I actually have free time. I have a Tesoro Silver Max. But I also found the company is now kaput. It did pretty well I thought, but I thought maybe an upgrade was needed.
What I would like is a volume control(hate using headphones), longer battery life(9 volt in Tesoro lasted about 2 hours), easy to use, built to last(with coil cover), price at or around $500( wife would kill me If I spent much more).
I do live near the ocean, so salt air is always present (New England).
I've been vulturing for a few nights and catching up.
Minelab looks good, I like Garrett but no volume control(nothing worse than a whole park hearing what you hear!). Minelab seems to tick all the boxes and seems well made, just not sure what model.
Hopefully mostly looking for coins. Maybe beaches, not sure. I already have a Garrett Pro-Pointer, although it hasn't been used in ages.
Suggestions for Detector ?

This is how I would go, it is a little higher then your max $$ you posted up

https://bigboyshobbies.net/legend-nokta-makro-metal-detector

or this

https://bigboyshobbies.net/nokta-makro-simplex

have never used a Tesoro before but I do use the Legend in fact I purchase two Legends because I like them that much

the Legend is a detector you can take straight out of the box and start detecting it is also rite up there with the Equinox which is quite a few dollars more the other detector I would suggest is the Nokta/Macro simplex

the simplex is half the price of the legend but the simplex detects way above its pay grade

both the Legend and the simplex are water proof the difference in the Legend and the simplex the Legend is a multi frequency detector the Simplex is a single frequency detector

I have two legends and a simplex I prefer the Legend over the simplex

Ive been using a Legend for a few months now and can vouch for it as a good machine. My only gripe is it takes a while to learn all of the settings due to the menu using icons rather than words. In the meantime, it does work very well as a detector that runs great straight out of the box (as long as you have up to date software on it). Other than that the only other detectors I have used in that price range are garrets and a Minelab Vanquish 440 I think. I hate the noises the garrets make. The Vanquish was ok but I didnt feel it compared at all to the Legend.

the difference in the Legend and the simplex the Legend is a multi frequency detector the Simplex is a single frequency detector

Other major advantages of the Legend over the Simplex, is a manual iron bias control, and the ability to choose from 5 single frequencies. Due to those, the Legend will easily outperform the Simplex in EMI, and unmasking good targets from both ferrous and nonferrous trash.

Watch some youtube videos of the XP ORX. They all marvel at how light it is. I think you can get one for about $550 from forum sponsors. Has a 5 year warranty and i think it has a submersible cover for about $60. The Vanquish seems to be a poor man's Equinox and the ORX is likely a poor man's Deus.

Those are a bit over what I wanted to spend. XP ORX looks interesting but I wasn't excited by the way it works in a few videos I watched.
Rechargeable battery is a good idea, just like a camera.

I watched some videos on the Simplex, and I have to say I was very impressed, especially for the price. It seems to do everything very well, even near the ocean, which quite a few other detectors have issues with.
I did read that a lot of pinpointers cause interference issues with the Simplex.
Has anyone found one that doesn't interfere?

I watched some videos on the Simplex, and I have to say I was very impressed, especially for the price. It seems to do everything very well, even near the ocean, which quite a few other detectors have issues with.
I did read that a lot of pinpointers cause interference issues with the Simplex.
Has anyone found one that doesn't interfere?

Do not let the price of the simplex fool you it is way more detector then the price would suggest

the simplex does have a mute function on it when you go to use your pin pointer you just have to unmute when you want to detect again Nokta/Macro also makes a pin pointer called a pulse dive that will pair with the headphones that comes with the simplex

Also as to your reply about the ORX both the simplex and the legend have onboard rechargeable batteries, they are standard on both detectors

Finally retired, so I actually have free time. I have a Tesoro Silver Max. But I also found the company is now kaput. It did pretty well I thought, but I thought maybe an upgrade was needed.
What I would like is a volume control(hate using headphones), longer battery life(9 volt in Tesoro lasted about 2 hours), easy to use, built to last(with coil cover), price at or around $500( wife would kill me If I spent much more).
I do live near the ocean, so salt air is always present (New England).
I've been vulturing for a few nights and catching up.
Minelab looks good, I like Garrett but no volume control(nothing worse than a whole park hearing what you hear!). Minelab seems to tick all the boxes and seems well made, just not sure what model.
Hopefully mostly looking for coins. Maybe beaches, not sure. I already have a Garrett Pro-Pointer, although it hasn't been used in ages.
Suggestions for Detector ?

Minelab Equinox 600 you may be able to get cheap used? Or the Minelab Vanquish is supposed to be good on the beach but it's not waterproof.

Other major advantages of the Legend over the Simplex, is a manual iron bias control, and the ability to choose from 5 single frequencies. Due to those, the Legend will easily outperform the Simplex in EMI, and unmasking good targets from both ferrous and nonferrous trash.

there is more to the legend then the few things you and I have stated I just wanted to give him the basic differences

So I could save a little money and get the Simplex, but use my Garrett pinpointer for now.
I know everyone here will have different opinions, but suggestions on where to buy it?
Normally I would just get it thru Amazon, but I may want to get help later or get other accessories.
What do you use to put all your stuff in that you find? If I get junk I don't want to leave where I find it, but also want to separate it form my good stuff.
I want to leave wherever I go the same as when I first got there.
I saw a video the other day, some guy just digging holes and leaving them that way on the beach, unless he went back later and filled them all in.
Plus on permissions, I just can't imagine someone letting you dig up there land to find stuff.
To be real honest If someone came up to my backdoor and said hey can I metaldetect you yard and dig it up I know what my answer would be.

I would not buy detecting equipment off of Amazon. Much of it is counterfeit.
When you decide which detector you want to buy, start calling the list of shops that sponsor this forum and purchase from the one that makes you the best all around deal. This has saved us significant money. You will also receive legitimate products.
There are all kinds of methods of carrying your trash out from free cloth carpenter nail bags to purpose made bags that attach to a belt.
All of that information is available on past posts on this forum.
Like others said, the Legend fits your price range and requirements.

I think the Legend is a great machine, but I think the Simplex is more suited to what I need. Its all about location too, here in New England the Simplex seems to be very popular.
I'm pretty sure the Nokta Simplex is the way to go, at least for me.
I couldn't find a list of shops that sponsor this forum, where is it located ?

If you go with the Simplex, I highly recommend the SP24 coil. It will detect about as deep as the stock coil, is lighter, less prone to EMI and ground conditions, and has much better separation / unmasking characteristics. If you contact a dealer, they may be able to switch out the stock coil for the SP24. Almost all who use the SP24, rarely (if ever) use the stock coil again.

It's unlikely the Simplex will work well in salt ground due to it being a single frequency. Well, at least not nearly as well as a simultaneous multi frequency detector.

I have the Nokta pulsedive pinpointer and a garrett carrot.

The Nokta pointer doesn't cause interference. But with the latest software update on the Simplex there is a mute button you can hit to silence the detector when you use the garrett carrot. Just don't forget to unmute it when you start hunting again!

I think the Legend is a great machine, but I think the Simplex is more suited to what I need. Its all about location too, here in New England the Simplex seems to be very popular.
I'm pretty sure the Nokta Simplex is the way to go, at least for me.
I couldn't find a list of shops that sponsor this forum, where is it located ?

Simplex probably offers more bang for the $$ than any other detector, though sure the more expensive ones have more features that may or may not produce more finds.
Best way I have found to find more stuff is not a better detector but swing the one you got more often, and at various locations - If you find a nice hot spot, that is the time you might need a deeper seeking detector to unmask a few more inches, which doesn't mean you have to sell the one you have, everyone half way serious about detecting should have at least 2, preferably 3 or 4.

Garrett carrot WTG for pinpointers and yes, with the simplex you do have to mute it, easy to do once you get rolling [and easy to forget its muted too] Be advised, the Nokta Pulsedive is very large and heavy, I would stay away from that unless you plan on getting into snorkeling. On the other hand, would make a good club if someone attacked you while using it.

Back
Top Bottom