• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Use some notching when inland hunting for gold rings? Crazy???

Detector,

What about the differences in the VDI range between the Simplex and Legend?

I don't know if the Simplex uses the same VDI for foil, tabs, and gold rings, as the Legend does, but the upper coin range on the Legend is around 40-55. The Simplex is what, around 75 to 95?

Last edited:
Looks very similar to the Makro Simplex+ as well. Good info. I might open up some mid 20s. I just have never to date found any gold that came in with a 20s VDI.

When I used to go on the main Simplex Facebook page, I recall posts in which a lot of gold rings were coming up in around the mid 20's. I don't know if that applies to your hunting grounds, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

When I used to go on the main Simplex Facebook page, I recall posts in which a lot of gold rings were coming up in around the mid 20's. I don't know if that applies to your hunting grounds, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I think the high end is probably different, but I do know 02-06 gold chains 09-19 on the Simplex is the gold range, 20s mostly foil & junk, 31-32 is pull tab as is 35-36.

I just buried a small 10k gold ring in my heavy emi backyard, to a depth that a low weighted SMF could barely hit it. The high weighted SMF didn't fair much better. I then tried the SF of 40 khz, and wow, what a difference.

The SMF modes were very noisy due to the high emi, but as usual, 40 khz was silent. The best part though, is that with 40 khz, I could raise the coil about 3" off the ground, before the signal disappeared. Plus, the ID was more solid than the SMF modes. As of now, I don't know if the much better depth and more accurate ID is due to 40 khz being more sensitive to low conductors, or because, as usual, 40 khz is outside of the emi range, or a combination of both. Either way, when I go back to that park tomorrow, I'll be using the SF of 40 khz.

Last edited:
What matters most along with EMI is what SMF mode you were using on the Legend. Maximum depth for a well rounded group of targets is one thing. Maximum depth using an EMI plagued SMF mode that is not necessarily the best for low conductors on a freshly soil disturbed 10K gold ring in high EMI is another.

I can test the Legend or Equinox using their gold prospecting modes inside my house on tiny gold nuggets and get clean hits with steady IDs using 40 kHz single frequency with very little EMI interference whether those are air tests or testing in some milder dirt that I have collected for indoor testing. I can switch to Multi using those same modes and the EMI is overpowering to the point that it is impossible to know if those tiny nuggets are being detected. It's the same for your example. SMF plus high EMI on targets that are difficult to hit is a bad combination. 20 or 40 kHz single frequency that is outside the main EMI interference will "appear" to be detecting certain types of edge of detection targets better.

Conversely, I can use the same gold prospecting modes in the real world on tiny gold nugget targets, low to no EMI and very high iron mineralization and the Multi setting will destroy 40 kHz single frequency.........

That's right Jeff.

The beach I just hunted has what I consider to be "mid" emi. When I buried a small 10 k gold ring, the high weighted M2 hit it better than anything else.

I only use SF's when I have to.

Back
Top Bottom