Upgrading to a new machine...Nox 800 or Nokta legend

Bradb72

Just need honest opinions from people who have used both machines. Thanks in advance.

I have both and, if I could only have one, it would be the Legend. It's better built, better balanced and Nokta seems to be doing a good job of making improvements with firmware updates. Consider that with the lower price, and it's almost a no brainer.

I have both and, if I could only have one, it would be the Legend. It's better built, better balanced and Nokta seems to be doing a good job of making improvements with firmware updates. Consider that with the lower price, and it's almost a no brainer.

I have both too and agree with jhanson

Don't own either but feel i can opine. Had an Equinox 600 and a Simplex+.

I HATED folding up that 600. It was like dealing with an old fashioned tent pole.

The Legend has a MUCH easier mechanism.

Minelab made the Vanquish easy to fold, cannot figure out why they don't update the Nox.

I own a Legend, but don't own a Nox.

The exact same question has been asked numerous times on various Facebook metal detecting sites, and I've seen at least 100 replies to this question. Of those respondents that own the Nox and Legend, I'd estimate that at least 95% of them said they prefer the Legend.

The Legend matches or exceeds the Nox's performance. However, performance isn't the only factor that should be considered.

The Legend is not only much cheaper to initially purchase, but it's accessories like coils, pinpointers, etc, are much cheaper as well. Also, the Nox has thin and weak coil ears and a cheap, wobbly shaft. Most who purchase the Nox, purchase those two items when they purchase a Nox, which of course, increases the initial purchase price.

The Legend also has far superior build quality compared to the Nox. Again, the Nox has a wobbly shaft, weak and thin coil ears, and well known pod leakage problems. It's also important to keep in mind that when Nokta makes a mistake, or a problem is discovered, they fix it. Minelab on the other hand, did nothing to fix the serious Nox build quality problems.

Last edited:
Sold my 800 and am keeping the Legend.
The only thing I like more about the Nox was the tones.

I own and regularly use both. For a newbie the Legend and Equinox 800 are almost too much detector. For someone that is upgrading right now, today.....I would pick the Legend.

The only cons I have about the Legend are weight, too many hidden menus and settings and it is still a new detector and it hasn't been finished yet software wise.

The only cons for the Equinox are its poor shaft system/build quality-leaking and ergonomics, lack of Pitch tones in its Park, Field and Beach modes and more than likely it will not get another software update.

Otherwise, the two detect really well, have plenty of ways to hunt with out of the box or specialize it, their settings, labeling, tones and VDIs are really similar and two great companies that stand behind them.

Head to head, the Legend is cheaper in price, they detect basically the same, Equinox has a much easier user interface and is more well known.

Everyone has missed the first question!

What places and conditions do you plan on hunting?

The original poster was clear about those responding having owned/used both detectors. He has picked very versatile all terrain detectors for his two choices. They are so close in performance…..it comes down to price and build quality including waterproofing. I would still pick the Legend.

The Nox 800 has a dedicated gold mode. Does the Legend?

I have the Nox 600, and agree with the rod and coil connector issues. I have two coils, and bought the reinforcing ears for both, and I have upgraded the rod with Steve's Detector Rods. The only reason I didn't get the Legend was my fear of being on the "bleeding edge", since I heard of several software upgrades being necessary.

--Tom

Hi Tom.

Yes, the Legend has a dedicated gold mode.

Regarding the updates:

Most of the updates weren't in relation to fixing a problem. Most of the updates were added features, enhancements, and end user requests.

Last edited:

I have the Nox 600, and agree with the rod and coil connector issues. I have two coils, and bought the reinforcing ears for both, and I have upgraded the rod with Steve's Detector Rods. The only reason I didn't get the Legend was my fear of being on the "bleeding edge", since I heard of several software upgrades being necessary.

--Tom

Yea it has a goldfield mode. The software upgrades are easy peasy too.

--Tom

As has been said, the Legend has an excellent dedicated gold prospecting mode that is very similar to the Equinox 800 both in features and performance. I am not blowing smoke here or regurgitating something I read or heard. I have both detectors and have used both for gold prospecting. They are really, really close in performance on small gold, hot rocks and ground handling of high iron mineralization. That is saying a lot since the Equinox 800 is an outstanding gold prospecting detector from my experience.

As far as updates.....Nokta had some issues with some Legends be really hard or impossible to update. Some was user error, some was difficulty with downloading the right drivers and system requirement incompatibilities and some was faults in the data/charging port firmware caused by a bad chip. Nokta have updated their software update tool to make it easier and more compatible with Windows and Mac platforms and they have been replacing control boxes that were faulty including mine.

Nokta and even XP have made no secret that the people that have bought their recent releases are basically Beta testers and that our input is needed to make these detectors better with future updates. Nokta has be extremely public about it. Some people like that and others don't.

Early Equinox 600 owners were also beta testers without even knowing it. Our complaints got Minelab to quickly release updates that gave Equinox 600 owners backlight brightness adjustments, fixed an issue with detecting shallower, larger silver coins and completely overhauled the iron bias settings among others.

About a year ago or so when rumors of the Legend's release were common, I would have recommended the Equinox to anyone that asked me a question like the OP did as long as they were not primarily water hunters. Now after getting to know the Legend side by side with the Equinox....the answer is not easy. The Legend is that good no matter what may be said about it from some sources.

Last edited:
Just to clarify my earlier post, when I got the Nox, it had been out for a few years, and was past the early software updates. If the Legend does indeed have a dedicated gold mode, and doesn't have the rod/ear issues of the Nox, it does sound like the Legend is the way to go. I am not unhappy with my choice of the Nox, though. Both are more costly, but beat the heck out of those no-name brands found on spamazon and the mass market catalogs.

--Tom

Back
Top Bottom