Island Finds

izmiz

So I think I posted this here but WAS not sure of the material on hand.
so I got a kit and basically the material is Nickel and has gold in it (less than 10k)
So I took it to a few places and one guy thinks it might be a Hilt of a dagger or something similar. (he said also maybe a table spoon or knife)
it does fit perfectly in the hand, I'm planning to take it to a Skinner sometime next week and would like to see if you guys think its something
I think it might be a Uneticean daggers style

Attachments

• Photo Aug 18, 3 39 42 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 18, 3 39 42 PM.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Photo Aug 18, 3 39 47 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 18, 3 39 47 PM.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Photo Aug 18, 3 39 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 18, 3 39 51 PM.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Photo Aug 18, 3 39 54 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 18, 3 39 54 PM.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Photo Aug 18, 3 39 57 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 18, 3 39 57 PM.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 273
Looks more like something that was used as a spike or large nail to me? Not seeing how a blade would have been affixed.

Looks more like a brass or bronze drift. Too small a diameter for a handle, other than a eating utensil and that just wouldn't make sense.
As far as it's gold content, I'd have to have a little more confidence in your metallurgical analysis. I'd have to believe the constituents of both brass and bronze being copper, tin and zinc, might trip up all but a true analysis. Your location isn't on your signature, where was it found? If in Europe, who knows what impurities may be in there. So let's say your test is not accurate. You have a piece of bronze with what looks like mushroomed ends ie, a drift.
Is there any remnants of iron in the center of the narrow end? That would indicate it held something.
I did a little research, looking at Uneticean daggers and swords. Some of their metal work was pretty rough. May have had a blade that was made from the same piece of metal. It may not show where an iron blade was attached. Again, where did you find it?

Back
Top Bottom