• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A surprise US find.

Doug

Elite Member
A very unseasonal few days for this time of the year over this side of the pond.

Various finds through the ages with a surprise find of a US coin.

Thanks for looking.........Doug.

The clearing mists.
MHXFw2d.jpg

Old lime stone miners cottage, circa 1800's.
uGXA8pH.jpg

Big Roman coin.
TUEqSOi.jpg

Small Roman coin.
45depzC.jpg

US coin.
Gzd8C7N.jpg

Young Victoria.
EKQlFKU.jpg

My home town name plate, use unknown.
Vty1BfP.jpg

Various finds.
8ifnDzI.jpg

Name plate.
ZFUtRXf.jpg

Roman coins, 2nd-4th century.
X558BkX.jpg

Separated by a vast sea.
X8kz1J8.jpg

9kVQQwP.jpg

Livery button.
SOMERSET/PORTER/BUCK FAMILY PORTCULLIS (CASTLE GATE) c1885
d7bSmfA.jpg

Excellent and interesting finds as always Doug. That 1916 Mercury dime is in great shape for being a first year merc. I was hoping it had a D mint mark! It would be one valuable coin if it did!

Now THAT merc was an unexpected flyer! Not your normal kind of find there Doug! You get all sorts of old Anglo Saxon and Roman stuff all the time, so this 102 yr old US dime must be like finding a bit of a pulltab or clad! Musta been disappointing for ya? :laughing:

Nice hunting Doug. You found a nice Merc and those Roman coins are awesome. I was surprised when I found the Shilling over here about a month ago and now you have a Merc, money gets around doesn't it,

Fine hunt there, great pictures and finds! I very rarely find US coins, they show up in the most unlikely places!

Excellent and interesting finds as always Doug. That 1916 Mercury dime is in great shape for being a first year merc. I was hoping it had a D mint mark! It would be one valuable coin if it did!

Thank you.

Not sure of the significance of a D mint mark?

Now THAT merc was an unexpected flyer! Not your normal kind of find there Doug! You get all sorts of old Anglo Saxon and Roman stuff all the time, so this 102 yr old US dime must be like finding a bit of a pulltab or clad! Musta been disappointing for ya? :laughing:

Thank you Mr Mud.

The Mercury coins was a pleasant surprise even for me......:D

Cool oldies indeed. What were you detecting with?

Thank you.

Machine used. A 8 year old XP Deus, stock 9" coil, stock program, running in 2 tones in the original V2 software.

Nice Merc! I looked closely for a D mint mark.

Thank you.

Very cool! I really enjoy seeing your finds. So much history.

I suspect that merc came out of the pocket of a serviceman in one of the 2 big wars.

Thank you.

Yes we had USAF and RCAF WW2 airbases quite close to where it was found, within 10 miles.

Awesome finds Doug! Damn close to a barber dime too. Congrats!

Thank you.

Great pictures to go along with awesome finds Doug!

Thank you Ron.

Fine hunt there, great pictures and finds! I very rarely find US coins, they show up in the most unlikely places!

Thank you.

Comparing the two silver coins. The Mercury dime looks to have less silver content than the Queen Victoria coin?

The UK had a gradual decline in silver content in coins over the decades/centuries until silver was phased out in 1947.

From 1920 to 1946, British silver coins contained 50% silver. From 1947 to 1971, some denominations of British pre-decimal coins issued for circulation were "silver-coloured," however these coins were made of copper-nickel, and contained no silver.

Comparing the two silver coins. The Mercury dime looks to have less silver content than the Queen Victoria coin?

The UK had a gradual decline in silver content in coins over the decades/centuries until silver was phased out in 1947.

From 1920 to 1946, British silver coins contained 50% silver. From 1947 to 1971, some denominations of British pre-decimal coins issued for circulation were "silver-coloured," however these coins were made of copper-nickel, and contained no silver.

Great finds, I especially like the buckles (I have a buckle fetish, lol)
The merc dime should be 90% silver...

Back
Top Bottom