Another tumbler question

fishnnut

Forum Supporter
So this is maybe a dumb question but do you guys reuse your aquarium gravel after you tumble a batch? Seems it's pretty cheap and didn't know if it's worth cleaning it to reuse....

If I'm doing a couple of runs of clad (minus copper) I use the same gravel till I'm done. Dump it and I'm ready for the following months collection. That's just me. HH

So this is maybe a dumb question but do you guys reuse your aquarium gravel after you tumble a batch? Seems it's pretty cheap and didn't know if it's worth cleaning it to reuse....

Yea.

When I am done tumbling, I just run water in the barrel, fill it up and keep running it through till it looks clean, drain, throw the whole thing on a stiff paper plate or towel, pluck out the coins, throw the gravel back in the barrel for next time.
Never changed it, still works good after about 12 batches.

If I'm doing a couple of runs of clad (minus copper) I use the same gravel till I'm done. Dump it and I'm ready for the following months collection. That's just me. HH

You say minus copper. I'm guessing thats why my last load came out with darker than normal dimes and quarters... because I had pennies in it? It must stain it?

If you can find polish grade ceramic media it will never wear out. Don't use an abrasive grade it will eat the coins. You may be able to find it at a gun shop that sells reloading supplies.

quo155 is correct I used to shoot Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette matches almost every weekend before I started having vision problems. The black powder fouling is very corrosive and you have to get the brass clean inside and out each time you shoot it. A tumbler with ceramic media is the best way to do that.

Back
Top Bottom