HF Tumbler Question

fishnnut

Forum Supporter
Just got my 3 lb. H. F. :mad:tumbler in the mail and was trying to do my first batch of coins and all I can say is that is a piece of junk. I guess a guy gets what he pays for...... It runs about a couple minutes and then just slowly comes to a stop. It is slipping on the plastic sleeve it sets on and I don't know how a person could remedy that. Think it needs to go back...........:mad:

I have the same one for over a year now with no problems! You are probably putting to much in it! Only fill it half way with coins and rocks, then add soap & water but dont fill it! If its to heavy it wont rotate!

Thanks for the reply. Its not even half full. I weighed it on an accurate meat scale I have and there is only 2 lbs. in it...... idk.....

That's strange. I've run over 15,000 coins through mine and I'm still on the original belt. Is the plastic sleeve slipping on the metal rod?

Keith

yep it is. it said in the owners manual to add a little oil to the part that the sleeve is on and i suppose a little oil crept into the sleeve and now all it does is slip. tried to take it out to clean it out but looks like that would be futile....when ever i take something apart i might as well throw it in the garbage when i am done.....:D

I had issues with mine as soon as I got it.. turned out just needed the belt adjusted and now I really like it. In fact running this very moment.

Mine did the same. Get as much if the oil off of it as you can. I did that and since that first batch of coins and the slippage problem, I've had no problems since. I dont think the oil was ever neccesary.

yep it is. it said in the owners manual to add a little oil to the part that the sleeve is on and i suppose a little oil crept into the sleeve and now all it does is slip. tried to take it out to clean it out but looks like that would be futile....when ever i take something apart i might as well throw it in the garbage when i am done.....:D

There is a reason HF stuff is as cheap as it is, it is made as cheaply as possible. I still buy some of it if I just need it once or very seldom. Most of what I buy there goes back because it is junk but every once in a while you get a pleasant surprise. The HF I go to is just a couple of miles from the Doctors I go to so it is not really out of the way, if it was much further I probably not go there. I would not buy something like a tumbler that I expected to use frequently and that had to run for hours.

Never put oil on mine, ran it for hours and hours...no problems, overheating, slipping...nothing.
Just works and works great.

That being said, I was lucky.
Also got an HF pinpointer that had to be adjusted almost immediately, and the switch went bad in about 2 hours.
I am handy, and repaired and adjusted it and it was fine from then on.

I was in retail and have much experience with products from factories in Taiwan and eventually, China.
Quality control are not words a lot of these places understand.
New workers coming and going all the time, and it takes time for them to be trained to do their job correctly...every time.

A large possibility that yours was just not set up right from the beginning.
Tension on the belt would be the first thing I would check.
Not enough, the drum will slip.

They might test these to see if the drum turns before shipping, (maybe), but not under any load, so they would not have caught this if that is the case.

Here is what it is like inside one of these.
On this one, looks like a few nuts hold the motor in place, loosen them up, move the motor back a bit, then go a tumblin'!
Newer models might be different, slightly, but I am sure the motor adjustment can't be difficult on these, either.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5V1Yij4H5k

Back
Top Bottom