Maiden Water Voyage With the Coiltek 14x9

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Finally got out with my 800 and the 14x9 Coiltek. It's heavy on land, but worked really well in the water. The reservoir is low due to the drought. I was able to get out further today. I was in chin deep water just scooping everything. Lots and lots of pulltabs. I seem to be able to pinpoint and scoop better with this coil for some reason. No gold, but I did gain a lot of experience. (And exercise) The only keepers were a Stainless ring and a Tungsten ring.

Attachments

• 20210620_105818_copy_600x800.jpg
    20210620_105818_copy_600x800.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 20210620_105840_copy_600x800.jpg
    20210620_105840_copy_600x800.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 517
  • 20210620_105832_copy_600x800.jpg
    20210620_105832_copy_600x800.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 556
  • 20210620_105826_copy_600x800.jpg
    20210620_105826_copy_600x800.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 519
Stiffwrists,
You have the patience of Job to dig that much junk. How does the 14" balance? I picked up the 5x10 and really like it, lightweight, good depth and ID, get's close to post and fence.
You may be able to water hunt without the water this year. Everything is drying up.

Stiffwrists,
You have the patience of Job to dig that much junk. How does the 14" balance? I picked up the 5x10 and really like it, lightweight, good depth and ID, get's close to post and fence.
You may be able to water hunt without the water this year. Everything is drying up.

The water was cool and refreshing. I was in the mood to scoop it all. Really wanted to come across some gold.

The 14" does give me more coverage on land in wide open spaces, but I don't think it balances well. It's nose heavy. I don't know how much heavier it is than the stock coil, but it was definitely noticed. In the water, on the other hand, I really liked it. I think I will use it exclusively under water.

Thats a lot of pulltabs SW. Glad to hear you like the 14x9, do you have a counterweight on your shaft ? Maybe help the balance a little. I am happy with the 5x10. Congrats on the rings and I'm sure that new coil will sniff out some gold soon. Good luck, Mark

Nice hunt - those rings are sweet!

I've been looking hard at that 14x9" Coiltek for my 800 (also the 15" circular one), and it's nice to hear you had good results with it. (Just need to find a place that has them in stock!)

I'm in a detecting club that gives a prize at the end of the year to the person who finds the most pulltabs - I think you'd be a shoe-in!

I figured it is heavy to help in the water. Not a big water hunter. I do want to buy the 10x5. That will be my next purchase. Great hunt you got tons of targets. Nice two rings as well.

Stiffwrists,
You have the patience of Job to dig that much junk.....

That's what I was thinking ! :laughing:

Finally got out with my 800 and the 14x9 Coiltek. It's heavy on land, .....

Stiffwrists, was this lake specifically for swimming ? Because if it was just fishing and boating, then I wouldn't expect much jewelry ratios.

Also, do tell, I know your post was about a certain new coil comparison, but : Do you think that your standard coil could have found just as many targets ?

Quoted from Tom:

"Stiffwrists, was this lake specifically for swimming ? Because if it was just fishing and boating, then I wouldn't expect much jewelry ratios.

Also, do tell, I know your post was about a certain new coil comparison, but : Do you think that your standard coil could have found just as many targets?"

This area has a lot of swimmers. As close to a "beach" that we have in these parts. I've always been able to find rings there. One gold band last year.

As far as knowing if that new coil found targets the stock wouldn't.... who knows? I do like how it feels in the water and it has a larger footprint than the standard stock coil. Honestly, I picked the coil up hoping to get a little more depth on land. It's just so dang heavy. I'm just happy that I'll use it in the water.

That is a LOT of pull tabs! Hopefully, you find some gold soon to make it all worthwhile! :detector: Those rings do look nice though. :good:

Back
Top Bottom