Still Going After 50 Years

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I've had this stapler for 50 years now, having bought it in 1971 at the W.T. Grant department store that was located in my home town of Norwich, Ct.
The first W.T. Grant department store opened in 1906, in Lynn, Massachusetts.
At their peak the company had over 500 stores but changing times brought a lot of competition and the number of stores dwindled until the final one closed in 1976. The stapler is starting to show some wear but still works flawlessly.

Attachments

• IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 257
Wow , now that's a stapler ! Stapling coin holders has finished off many of my staplers
over the years , even older ones that I thought were pretty tough .

Wow , now that's a stapler ! Stapling coin holders has finished off many of my staplers
over the years , even older ones that I thought were pretty tough .

This stapler has stapled thousands of coins, both from my collection and from my days in the coin business, doing coin shows and running a shop.

Thanks for sharing the history of your stapler.
Learn something new here everyday.

I’ll bet no stapler is made in USA currently.
Too bad.

Cheers.

Exactly why the tofu man that passes by every day has better tofu (to our Korean taste buds) than the ones you get (mass-produced) at the Supermarket. My grandpa's been buying from the same guy for 27 years (his words).

Josh

Neat ! Congrats on keeping that !

They seemed to make things like that to last longer back then !
Thanks Gary.....I totally agree.

Thanks for sharing the history of your stapler.
Learn something new here everyday.

I’ll bet no stapler is made in USA currently.
Too bad.

Cheers.
You may be right about not being made in the USA. It seems as if everything is imported nowadays.

So do I......it seems as if nowadays things are meant to fall apart so that you'll have to keep buying.

Yep, it is called "planned obsolescence".............

check out this related web page I just found doing a search:

Built To Fail: 7 Examples Of Planned Obsolescence

https://durabilitymatters.com/planned-obsolescence/

....if we knew way in the past that "planned obsolescence" would become more of a norm later on then maybe we could have stocked up on some of those items (like your stapler) that would be as usable today as back then but much more durable :lol:

Back
Top Bottom