Cleaning a sun backed silver coin

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Generally, I don't worry about cleaning my coins, but this one is special. It is my oldest American coin and the oldest from Fort Mann. It had sat in the sun for decades and it turned the face black. The reverse is OK. I would like to keep some of the patina but still let the detail be visible. What would you suggest?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1835-x800.jpg
    1835-x800.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 1835-backx800.jpg
    1835-backx800.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
I'm still waiting for a capped bust half dime, I was able to grab a capped dime though. Congrats on yours! As for cleaning, did you try toothpaste/water mix? Use your fingers to lightly rub the surface, that way you know exactly how much is coming off each swipe. Not sure how bad that stuff is on there though, but might be worth a shot.

Generally, I don't worry about cleaning my coins, but this one is special. It is my oldest American coin and the oldest from Fort Mann. It had sat in the sun for decades and it turned the face black. The reverse is OK. I would like to keep some of the patina but still let the detail be visible. What would you suggest?

Thanks

I have had good luck with the foil and salt method. Non abrasive and non acidic. Line a dish with aluminum foil, pour in hot water, then dissolve a spoon of salt in. Plop in your coin so it touches the foil. There is a reaction which occurs that I am not smart enough to explain but it works

I have had good luck with the foil and salt method. Non abrasive and non acidic. Line a dish with aluminum foil, pour in hot water, then dissolve a spoon of salt in. Plop in your coin so it touches the foil. There is a reaction which occurs that I am not smart enough to explain but it works

This is the method I use to clean the wife's pandora bracelets. Cleans em right up!

It works because the silver sulphide is converted to aluminium oxide + H2S (the rotten egg smell it gives off) and the salt water allows this to happen as it's an electrolite. The silver and foil need to be touching for it to work because there's actually a small electrical current generated as this happens the same as a battery.

My advice, go to a $1 store and buy an aluminium bowl.

Back
Top Bottom