• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beep and Dig question.

MFF18B

I would like to start this thread out with an apology as I hope this doesn't cause a heated debate throughout the forum members....That said..
I am absolutely new to the hobby and am looking at purchasing my first detector. I have spent many many hours researching this forum and others about different options. At least at this point, my main interest will be coin and jewelry without the need to search in water. As I have been researching, I have found that the Tesoro machines seem to continually catch my attention. Cant really explain why, but the manual adjustments and simplicity (non Tech) of those just seem to keep drawing me towards that line...If that makes any sense. Anyway, question is this....for my situation in SE Ohio, would the Vaquero or Mojave make more sense or other versions? Additionally, with the news of the business issues they are experiencing would it be smarter to steer away from these? I will also have unlimited access to an Equinox 800, so I hope to use that as well.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and providing valuable assistance.

I would buy the Vaquero, it has ground balace and can be supertuned to go 12 inches deep. But that is not the black colored model to be clear.
Happy detecting!

I would like to start this thread out with an apology as I hope this doesn't cause a heated debate throughout the forum members....That said..
I am absolutely new to the hobby and am looking at purchasing my first detector. I have spent many many hours researching this forum and others about different options. At least at this point, my main interest will be coin and jewelry without the need to search in water. As I have been researching, I have found that the Tesoro machines seem to continually catch my attention. Cant really explain why, but the manual adjustments and simplicity (non Tech) of those just seem to keep drawing me towards that line...If that makes any sense. Anyway, question is this....for my situation in SE Ohio, would the Vaquero or Mojave make more sense or other versions? Additionally, with the news of the business issues they are experiencing would it be smarter to steer away from these? I will also have unlimited access to an Equinox 800, so I hope to use that as well.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and providing valuable assistance.

Is the EQ800 what your police department ended up getting?
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=266344

If you have unlimited access to a nox 800, why would you want to buy a detector? As far as mojave or vaquero, the mojave is a turn on and go detector whereas the vaquero needs to be ground balanced. Mojave is not nearly as deep, but IMO, is easier for someone just getting started. The nox is pretty easy to use too, but will take some practice to learn its nuances.

If you have unlimited access to a nox 800, why would you want to buy a detector? As far as mojave or vaquero, the mojave is a turn on and go detector whereas the vaquero needs to be ground balanced. Mojave is not nearly as deep, but IMO, is easier for someone just getting started. The nox is pretty easy to use too, but will take some practice to learn its nuances.

I think the use of the 800 is job related.

Either of the two Tesoro models will serve you well. If you think there could be a need to manual ground balance I would look at the Vaquero. I have the Vaquero black edition and can super tune it also. As far as company issues, that would not hamper my personal decision to purchase.

What's the difference with the one in the black housing?

I have seen videos of guys having a hard time ground balancing the black one. But I did check a review on it and the guy said he had to carefully balance it, Idk seems easier to have the putple one?

There is no difference electronically between the black or purple Tesoro Vaquero...only color!

That was my point. Tesoro just had lots of black housings from the never released Cazador they needed to unload, and boost some sales.

lol, looking back, maybe they should have released it :lol:

Both

I think I'd get the mohave since you have use of a 800. The m is easy to use (making it great for a loaner too), will find 90?% of what the v will find, has two ground balance settings and cost less. It may be all you need/want and you can always get the v later.

I have used about ever Tesoro made at some point,I hunt mostly old sites,late 1700's and
Early 1800's sites,Civil War sites,in my opinion the Vaquero with the High Tone and Super Tuned
Was the best Tesoro ever made,just last year I found a Silver 3 cent piece and a seated half dime with mine and all kinds of CW relics,yes I have used the Tejon,in my soil the Vaquero
Beats it on depth

tesoro mojave is one "crackerjack little detector for the money.2 position "ground toggle"
makes for a quick ground balance in the field.the 7" concentric coil on board does a great job picking thru the "!!!!"i have one, and use it for curb strips and totters.in season,keep it in the car.it's always ready with my quick start "rig" consisting of a 50s 'wilcox" digger,jimmy sierra "coin popper",garrett carrot,and a brass probe,in a tesoro pouch.when i spot a curb strip,or a totter,i'm ready to rock.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom