Oakley's Saved a Shortened Hunt Due to Battery Issue (WARNING)

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Some months back my 3000mah RNB LiPo which I use in Merlin (My Excal) got some water intrusion and died. Well, there aren’t any more available, so I went to my 1600mah NiMh which is 5 years old but had almost no use. I had given it a full charge for my last 5-hour hunt, so I expected to have at least one more good hunt before it needed to be charged. Yesterday, as I was getting near the 2-hour mark Merlin goes into it’s “death squawk”. :shock: I couldn’t believe it and was very disappointed that my hunt was about to near its end. :( I hunted just over 2 hours with my best find being the very nice Oakley’s that I eyeballed tumbling in some seaweed along the bottom. :D When I went to pick them up, I thought I was getting a crushed Coke can or maybe a vape. When I got the glasses out of the water the 1st thing I noticed was the cord holding them so I knew they would be a good brand but I immediately also noticed the “O” embossed on the side. :cool3: Very nice score!

I have already bought another battery and was informed by the battery seller who sold me the previous NiMh… “Hi Felix, nimh cells must be charged at least every 6 months. Not doing this will cause the battery to lose capacity. Normally they would last 16+ hours”. So to all you guys that have these make sure you don’t just let them sit around. Hopefully I'll be able to make the long-lasting LiPo battery pack that is being designed out there. (Let's go OBN! ;) )

Attachments

• 6-11-21.jpg
    6-11-21.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 6-11-21 Rings.jpg
    6-11-21 Rings.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 577
  • 6-11-21 Glasses.jpg
    6-11-21 Glasses.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Had the same issue with a nimh battery only I got exactly 5 hours on a full charge. It sat for a couple years before I charged it. I hear they should never be fully drained either. Like the time I left my detector on for a few days by accident. Volume was turned down but not off! Same problem. Find some gold will ya!

Very colorful finds. I feel you are about to go on a gold run due to all the junk rings you're finding. The sunglasses collection must be large. A few years ago on a minus tide early morning hunt , there was 100s of sunglasses on the sand. Strangest thing I've seen. I grabbed some , but most were cheapos. I regret now not putting my detector down and filling my backpack. If I see that again , I will snap a pic.

My supply is low again!

...The sunglasses collection must be large. A few years ago on a minus tide early morning hunt , there was 100s of sunglasses on the sand. Strangest thing I've seen. I grabbed some , but most were cheapos. I regret now not putting my detector down and filling my backpack. If I see that again , I will snap a pic.
I had a "Free - Get Ready For Summer!!!" giveaway for the teachers and other employees at my school. That's the second time I've done this.

Attachments

• 20210608_065432.jpg
    20210608_065432.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 526
Nice finds!
I had the same issue with a battery years ago. When I bought my first excal i bought a backup battery and just left it in the box for like 4 years without using it. When the factory battery was dying I decided to replace it with the replacement, it would not take a charge. Eventually I learned I had to bring it to a hobby place and have them trickle charge it and only then when it had a little bit of juice would it be recognized by the charger. Lesson learned...

Those are all in great condition. About 75% of my finds are trashed.

Very colorful finds. I feel you are about to go on a gold run due to all the junk rings you're finding. The sunglasses collection must be large. A few years ago on a minus tide early morning hunt , there was 100s of sunglasses on the sand. Strangest thing I've seen. I grabbed some , but most were cheapos. I regret now not putting my detector down and filling my backpack. If I see that again , I will snap a pic.

Same thing happened up here this winter but on a smaller scale. Just a very short section of beach and only for 1 tide swing. I picked up a few of the cleaner pairs and then noticed the sp minnows and lucky craft crankbaits. Then I did set the detector down and start eyeballing. Those lucky crafts are 18 bucks a pop!

Some months back my 3000mah RNB LiPo which I use in Merlin got some water intrusion and died. Well, there aren’t any more available, so I went to my 1600mah NiMh which is 5 years old but had almost no use. I had given it a full charge for my last 5-hour hunt, so I expected to have at least one more good hunt before it needed to be charged. Yesterday, as I was getting near the 2-hour mark Merlin goes into it’s “death squawk”. :shock: I couldn’t believe it and was very disappointed that my hunt was about to near its end. :( I hunted just over 2 hours with my best find being the very nice Oakley’s that I eyeballed tumbling in some seaweed along the bottom. :D When I went to pick them up, I thought I was getting a crushed Coke can or maybe a vape. When I got the glasses out of the water the 1st thing I noticed was the cord holding them so I knew they would be a good brand but I immediately also noticed the “O” embossed on the side. :cool3: Very nice score!

I have already bought another battery and was informed by the battery seller who sold me the previous NiMh… “Hi Felix, nimh cells must be charged at least every 6 months. Not doing this will cause the battery to lose capacity. Normally they would last 16+ hours”. So to all you guys that have these make sure you don’t just let them sit around. Hopefully I'll be able to make the long-lasting LiPo battery pack that is being designed out there. (Let's go OBN! ;) )

I like those shades... they would work great for me while working :lol:

I have already bought another battery and was informed by the battery seller who sold me the previous NiMh… “Hi Felix, nimh cells must be charged at least every 6 months. Not doing this will cause the battery to lose capacity. Normally they would last 16+ hours”. So to all you guys that have these make sure you don’t just let them sit around. Hopefully I'll be able to make the long-lasting LiPo battery pack that is being designed out there. (Let's go OBN! ;) )[/QUOTE]

I don't believe this to be true. I had many years working with NiMh sub C cells in the remote control car industry and we use to beat them up pretty bad. It could depend on who the manufacture of the cells are but they don't have memory like Lipos do and you can discharge and let them sit with no issues. We use to take packs that were wired in series, discharge them to no or very little voltage and than short them out until we would use them the following week. Sometimes if the packs sat for awhile than they just needed to be cycled or charged a few times and they would come back to good working order.
Overcharging or just plain usage overtime will lower the capacity.

I own those same Oakleys lol. Rarely where that model anymore. Had a blue pair too. I do like how the rubber and lenses are all interchangeable. Now I wear the gas can model. Great finds Felix that is a ton of glasses.

This is why if you go NiMH, you should get LSD (low self-discharge) cells. They can typically keep 80%+ of their charge even after sitting around in storage for 6-12 months. The higher quality LSD cells do even better (85% after 12 months and 70% after 10 years).

I suppose if your detector has a notable parasitic draw, using LSD cells would be a moot point, though...

Craig

He won't sell me a pair , you won't get those Oakley's , look at his posts , he would rather give them away , probably to those who get the kill shot :( , 4 glasses :iwish::viking2: Just kidding , I like the OAKLEYS & the heart shaped red stone :thumbsup:

I had a "Free - Get Ready For Summer!!!" giveaway for the teachers and other employees at my school. That's the second time I've done this.

Great idea. You could even have a raffle where they buy a ticket to see who picks 1st, 2nd, etc. All proceeds could be donated to the Help Earl Find Real Gold fund.

Ive started a 5 gal bucket collection this year for sunglasses. Someone said there was a group who would take um. Of course now finding them has slowed down :lol: Thats a sweet pair you found. Ya those 3000 are hard to come by.... it may well be not many were being purchased. I think a lot of people have gone to the Nox.... and of course those of us who bought one keep um for several years or never replace them. Got to sell um or they wont make um.

Great idea. You could even have a raffle where they buy a ticket to see who picks 1st, 2nd, etc. All proceeds could be donated to the Help Earl Find Real Gold fund.
Classic!!! :laughing:

Steve

Great idea . But I'd rather wait for your 24k jewlery shop going out of business sale , we know your struggling as no recent posting like Felix , :laughing: , can't get no sunglasses , speedo's , from you all , I give up ! Ps As far as gold goes I could care less , been buying Eye pieces for telescope between 600 - 900 I'd rather watch the sky's , water temps rising here , so swimmers in , if any gold is to be found here , fresh drops only , it's in July & August , ya get any deals for me on Japanese Refractor telescopes let me know Tak. , happy hunting :p. Ps Felix your business partner is stiff in you on the other half of the business , I guess you will just half to sport the speedo line on Miami Beach , the good thing is you will chase all the girls off the beach pushing the men's swim wear line , the bad news is , the time we finally see Miami eye candy from you , better odds hitting the mega millions 1st . :heartylaugh:

Great idea . But I'd rather wait for your 24k jewlery shop going out of business sale , we know your struggling as no recent posting like Felix , :laughing: , can't get no sunglasses , speedo's , from you all , I give up ! Ps As far as gold goes I could care less , been buying Eye pieces for telescope between 600 - 900 I'd rather watch the sky's , water temps rising here , so swimmers in , if any gold is to be found here , fresh drops only , it's in July & August , ya get any deals for me on Japanese Refractor telescopes let me know Tak. , happy hunting :p. Ps Felix your business partner is stiff in you on the other half of the business , I guess you will just half to sport the speedo line on Miami Beach , the good thing is you will chase all the girls off the beach pushing the men's swim wear line , the bad news is , the time we finally see Miami eye candy from you , better odds hitting the mega millions 1st . :heartylaugh:

Earl.... could you let us know if you observe a killer asteroid headed for us? I want a heads up so I can get in my bunker :yes:

Earl.... could you let us know if you observe a killer asteroid headed for us? I want a heads up so I can get in my bunker :yes:
Lol...I want to know about UFO'S and Alien life. How much do those special lenses cost and can you hook up a camera and take pictures ?

Back
Top Bottom