Equinox 600/800 and depth

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
I've got an Equinox 600. I got it a year ago at this time. I have two very small parks that I've hunted pretty hard that have been very productive for me. I'd call those areas pretty hunted out at this point. I know, I know, nothing's ever "hunted out". I've only used the stock coil so far. These parks aren't particularly trashy so no need for the 6 inch coil. I'm wanting opinions on whether it would be worth it to spend the $$$ on the 15 inch coil in an attempt to get a couple extra inches and see if there's a few things in these parks my stock coil is missing. Thoughts?

From what I've read, going from the 11" to 15" coil won't get you as much depth as you might like. I got the impression you'd get an extra 1-2 inches in most conditions.

However, you're getting far greater coverage per swing with almost the same level of target separation (again, the impression I'm getting from what I've read online.

From what I've read, going from the 11" to 15" coil won't get you as much depth as you might like. I got the impression you'd get an extra 1-2 inches in most conditions.

However, you're getting far greater coverage per swing with almost the same level of target separation (again, the impression I'm getting from what I've read online.

The true basics about max depth with coils, is that 13 inches is the cutoff, and factory coils do just fine as they are designed to do. The rest about 15 inch coils or larger...sells coils. Just my honest personal opinion, at 13 inches it is a wash-out.

The true basics about max depth with coils, is that 13 inches is the cutoff, and factory coils do just fine as they are designed to do. The rest about 15 inch coils or larger...sells coils. Just my honest personal opinion, at 13 inches it is a wash-out.

Interesting you should say that, as I've read that getting more depth (in addition to likely higher processing ability), requires exponentially more power.

So to get 25% more depth, you need double the power output...or something like that.

But I doubt power requirements are the only limits to practical depth. If that were the only limitation, I'm sure many machines could have short-term "boost" or "turbo" modes where a machine could go from 8 to 12 inches, but cut their run time by 75%. I think if this feature were available, many people would want it.

Yes, 1-2 inches of extra depth on a larger coil is mostly what I've read as well.

I'm not understanding Martin. Are you saying 13 inches of depth is about the max no matter the size of coil, or that coils bigger than 13 inches go get you any more bang for the buck?

Interesting you should say that, as I've read that getting more depth (in addition to likely higher processing ability), requires exponentially more power.

So to get 25% more depth, you need double the power output...or something like that.

But I doubt power requirements are the only limits to practical depth. If that were the only limitation, I'm sure many machines could have short-term "boost" or "turbo" modes where a machine could go from 8 to 12 inches, but cut their run time by 75%. I think if this feature were available, many people would want it.

I've never heard or read that power limits affect depth. That's an interesting concept I'd like to look into further. I'd be more than happy to have a machine that would give me bursts of extra depth in exchange for less run time since I tend to do shorter 1-3 hour hunts as opposed to the guys who hunt once a week or less, but for much longer time periods.

I've never heard or read that power limits affect depth. That's an interesting concept I'd like to look into further. I'd be more than happy to have a machine that would give me bursts of extra depth in exchange for less run time since I tend to do shorter 1-3 hour hunts as opposed to the guys who hunt once a week or less, but for much longer time periods.

I'm like you. Most of my hunts last between 45 minutes and 2 hours.

If I find the source of the power v. depth statement I made earlier, I'll let you know.

Another thing to keep in mind is weight. I'm sure that 15" coil is a chunk. You'll use more energy swinging it. I'm out of shape (desk job) and in my 50s so I have to consider these things :laughing:.

I'm happy with the stock coil on my Nox 800, last year it detected a Merc at about 8 inches deep that somehow past detectorists had missed in an older park that I heard was hunted a lot long before I got into the hobby.

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm quite happy with my Nox as well. I've found my share of silver for the places I'm hunting, parks with age that have probably been hit hard over the years. I'm new to the hobby and have just never used another advanced machine or tried another coil on my 600. Just wondering, if given the choice and money weren't a concern, would it be worth it to with a 6" or a 15" coil and does the 15" coil give you that extra bit of depth that may help you find some things in really pounded areas.

I guess part of the attraction for me is the challenge of finding some things where others have probably hunted before me.

Having been in the hobby for the last 49 years, I believe more desired targets are being hidden by masking, and early day use of high discrimination, than at extreme depths. I'm not saying there arent very deep targets, but I don't think that's where the majority of targets lie. There is so much trash thrown on the ground in local parks it's a wonder that anything is found. There wasn't anywhere near as much trash to deal with 30/40 years ago. I hate to say it, but people today are more likely to just throw their trash on the ground rather than carry it to the trash receptacles. Just something else to think about...

Having been in the hobby for the last 49 years, I believe more desired targets are being hidden by masking, and early day use of high discrimination, than at extreme depths. I'm not saying there arent very deep targets, but I don't think that's where the majority of targets lie. There is so much trash thrown on the ground in local parks it's a wonder that anything is found. There wasn't anywhere near as much trash to deal with 30/40 years ago. I hate to say it, but people today are more likely to just throw their trash on the ground rather than carry it to the trash receptacles. Just something else to think about...

I understand Tex. I had a phone conversation with a detectorist from my area last night who has been hunting my area for 40 years. He cautioned against using the 15 inch coil in parks for this very reason. I'm new enough that I'm still learning the nuances of finding those sweet signals in the middle of the trash. Luckily, he's agreed to do some hunts with me and help me take my skills to the next level. That's another thing that I love about this sight and this hobby, the number of really experienced detectorists willing to share hard-gained knowledge. Thanks!

I agree with Tex. I also enjoy finding what those before me missed and it is rarely deep coins. Many of my best finds come from trashy areas, often with a nail in the same hole as the coin. And the Equinox really shines in trash. I have the 6” coil but I actually prefer the stock 11” coil. The separation on that coil is amazing.

One tip is to hit the horseshoe button to listen to the trash to determine your swing speed. If you hear lots of iron signals with the horseshoe on slow down your swing speed.

Yeah that 12" coil tires you out pretty quickly on the Vanquish. A counterbalance like I got from Steve's Detector Rods for my Nox would make it so much better. Maybe it can be adapted to fit the Vanquish series?

http://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/product.php?id=EQACC-03

Steve

I just use the belt loop on my pinpointer pouch to slide the pinpointer on to one side of the the arm cuff then secure it with some velcro. Keeps it within easy reach and serves as a counterweight. I'll post some pictures later.

I've got an Equinox 600. I got it a year ago at this time. I have two very small parks that I've hunted pretty hard that have been very productive for me. I'd call those areas pretty hunted out at this point. I know, I know, nothing's ever "hunted out". I've only used the stock coil so far. These parks aren't particularly trashy so no need for the 6 inch coil. I'm wanting opinions on whether it would be worth it to spend the $$$ on the 15 inch coil in an attempt to get a couple extra inches and see if there's a few things in these parks my stock coil is missing. Thoughts?

The Equinox 15" coil is 15" X 12" so you are getting 15" of ground coverage from the tip of the coil to the backend and around 13.5" of theoretical depth depending on your ground's mineralization levels. This is just my opinion for this next statement.....I think the Equinox was optimized for the stock 11" coil. Mine has hit 13" non-ferrous low and mid conductive targets with correct target ID numbers and 2 way repeatable tones even in high mineralization. Whether the 15" will go any deeper...?

For your two parks, have you used all of the Park and Field modes? I have found that Park 1 and Field 1 where I detect will get the easier targets meaning those that aren't heavily masked, poorly oriented or just giving a tiny hint of a deep signal. Park 2 and Field 2 do much better for me on those more "iffy" targets and will hit other targets that Park 1 and Field 1 will not detect.

Last edited:
I agree with Tex. I also enjoy finding what those before me missed and it is rarely deep coins. Many of my best finds come from trashy areas, often with a nail in the same hole as the coin. And the Equinox really shines in trash. I have the 6” coil but I actually prefer the stock 11” coil. The separation on that coil is amazing.

One tip is to hit the horseshoe button to listen to the trash to determine your swing speed. If you hear lots of iron signals with the horseshoe on slow down your swing speed.

Funny you should mention the horseshoe trick Jim, I was just told this on a phone conversation I had last night as well. Thanks for the advice!

The Equinox 15" coil is 15" X 12" so you are getting 15" of ground coverage from the tip of the coil to the toe and around 13.5" of theoretical depth depending on your ground's mineralization levels. This is just my opinion for this next statement.....I think the Equinox was optimized for the stock 11" coil. Mine has hit 13" non-ferrous low and mid conductive targets with correct target ID numbers and 2 way repeatable tones even in high mineralization. Whether the 15" will go any deeper...?

For your two parks, have you used all of the Park and Field modes? I have found that Park 1 and Field 1 where I detect will get the easier targets meaning those that aren't heavily masked, poorly oriented or just giving a tiny hint of a deep signal. Park 2 and Field 2 do much better for me on those more "iffy" targets and will hit other targets that Park 1 and Field 1 will not detect.

See, all these little details I haven't thought about. I've been only running Park 1. It's my favorite. Maybe time to branch out, thanks!

See, all these little details I haven't thought about. I've been only running Park 1. It's my favorite. Maybe time to branch out, thanks!

I will stay using Park1. The horse shoe at interesting signals, with trashy and over hunted spots, is an adopted thing I now use, which I use a lot.

Back
Top Bottom