Find: "+S'RICART.DVBOIS Seal of Ricart Dubois"

Doug

Elite Member
This is a personal pedestal seal Circa AD1200-1500.

I have no further information on the named person, seal will be handed in to the FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) to be added to the Portable Antiquities Scheme's database.(PAS)

This field was ploughed springtime for maize planting.

Thanks for looking.........Doug.

The field. 15th Century farmhouse in the background.
vOZ4WGg.jpg

The seal in situ.
khhGZQq.jpg

ymCKGAu.jpg

Mirror image.+S'RICART.DVBOIS
gElWZ1x.jpg

Dubois Name Meaning.

"French and English (Norman and Huguenot): topographic name for someone who lived in a wood, from the fused preposition and definite article du ‘from the’ + French bois ‘wood’ (see Bois).

In both England and America the name has been translated as Wood."

Last edited:
Unbelievable find! A lead seal would be so cool to hold knowing the history behind it! I am jealous of finds from across the pond!!

That's is a very interesting find, Congrats Doug! Will you get it back or will they keep it?

It's amazing when a find can be attributed to a single person even after 500-700 YEARS!!!!
Congrats on an outstanding find!

Unbelievable find! A lead seal would be so cool to hold knowing the history behind it! I am jealous of finds from across the pond!!

Thank you.

Although we do find lead seals this one is of copper alloy.

That's is a very interesting find, Congrats Doug! Will you get it back or will they keep it?

Thank you.

The seal being of copper alloy it will not fall under the 'Treasure Act' and will be returned to me after recording.

More information coming up from the FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) later.

I sent the information on the seal with a photograph to the FLO and received this information back today.

I have arranged to hand the seal in next week to her.

Some interesting observations from her?

"The seal reads S’ RICARD . DVBOIS i.e. Sigillum (seal of) Richard DuBois (of the wood). Personal seals like this are normally c. 1150-1300 although some can be a bit later.

This is the same sort of period that surnames are becoming established and Dubois is a fairly popular one so it might be hard to link it to an individual family.

I find it curious they used a Lombardic D in RICARD and a roman one on Dubois, an alternative is RICARt but the D is more likely and we can see a mix of these letters in this period with different ones used at the start of a word and for further into the word."

I sent the information on the seal with a photograph to the FLO and received this information back today.

"The seal reads S’ RICARD . DVBOIS i.e. Sigillum (seal of) Richard DuBois (of the wood). Personal seals like this are normally c. 1150-1300 although some can be a bit later.

This is the same sort of period that surnames are becoming established and Dubois is a fairly popular one so it might be hard to link it to an individual family.

I find it curious they used a Lombardic D in RICARD and a roman one on Dubois, an alternative is RICARt but the D is more likely and we can see a mix of these letters in this period with different ones used at the start of a word and for further into the word."

Stunning condition as well. I have a couple of these, none as well preserved. Congrats.

Thanks Doug! Love the knowledge you share about your finds!!

Back
Top Bottom