It finally happened, 5-0 got called on me

I have a hard enough time locating stuff in the daylight, I'm not sure that I would find anything in the dark.

There are busy bodies everywhere. I was in a Corps of Engineers campground a few years back and my brother had just pulled up to pick my sons and I up to go somewhere. My brother's tires were just off the road in the grass so other cars had more room. This old dude pulls up and starts berating us for having the car parked on the grass and that we were going to be ticketed, towed, etc. I have very little patience for that type of behavior, but I had my sons with me and didn't allow myself to just tell him to get bent (which was my initial thoughts). Instead, I calmly asked him if he worked for the Corps. He kept jabbering and didn't answer the question so I asked him again if he worked for the Corps of Engineers. He then started hem hawing about Park Rangers etc. and asked again do you work here. He never answered, kept up his blathering for a few minutes until he finally realized that I had just went on about my business and was completely ignoring him. It completely took the wind out of his sails and the old gasbag got in his car and drove away. He may have been intending to go look for a Park Ranger, but since we were only there for a minute and literally followed his car to the exit, I am sure it completely ruined his day,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Ls6CD3s4w

It's not true in all areas , but more often than not that ROW (right of way) strip is not the homeowner's property. But some folks don't know that or choose not to see it that away.

That's why when I did those strips pretty heavy for a couple years it was only in front of vacant houses, closed businesses, etc. And only the first two or three hours after sunrise on weekends.

The most eventful experience I had was the guy who came out of his house gun in hand. Apparently he had looked out his window just as I was going down to make a retrieval...in the strip area parallel to his truck. It wasn't as scary as it sounds, the guy didn't point the gun at me. When I told him what I was doing and he could see my metal detector he just said oh I saw you duck down and I thought you were messing with my truck, then he turned around and walked back inside.

I think I minimized negative encounters by doing the strips when and where I did. You guys doing them in front of occupied houses, especially at night, be extra careful!

What an @#$ Wipe. Here's a great option when they threaten to call the cops. Its worked for me.

Just say something like:

"Please do call the police, if you don't I will. You threatened me, you are detaining me against my will, violating my civil rights, impeding my livelihood and illegally attempting to force me off public property. And now you're attempting to file a false police report, also illegal. I can sure use the money and my attorney can use the work.

It works. Of course, you have to be in the right and if the police do show up, the hot head is going to make himself look unstable while you act calm, professional, etc. And don't leave a bag of burning dog !!!! on his porch. It's much better to sling it against his car door handles. LOL
Well put sir! :hi5:

There are busy bodies everywhere. I was in a Corps of Engineers campground a few years back and my brother had just pulled up to pick my sons and I up to go somewhere. My brother's tires were just off the road in the grass so other cars had more room. This old dude pulls up and starts berating us for having the car parked on the grass and that we were going to be ticketed, towed, etc. I have very little patience for that type of behavior, but I had my sons with me and didn't allow myself to just tell him to get bent (which was my initial thoughts). Instead, I calmly asked him if he worked for the Corps. He kept jabbering and didn't answer the question so I asked him again if he worked for the Corps of Engineers. He then started hem hawing about Park Rangers etc. and asked again do you work here. He never answered, kept up his blathering for a few minutes until he finally realized that I had just went on about my business and was completely ignoring him. It completely took the wind out of his sails and the old gasbag got in his car and drove away. He may have been intending to go look for a Park Ranger, but since we were only there for a minute and literally followed his car to the exit, I am sure it completely ruined his day,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Ls6CD3s4w

LOL, sounds all too familiar. I spent several winters in COE Campgrounds, and know the drill. Sounds like it may have been a Campground Host. There was one here who would innocently mill around when a non-camper would come in to use the restroom (which they're actually not supposed to), and would jot down tag numbers :laughing: We called him Barney Fife.

You can have 2 tires on the grass, but they have to be the same axle, either fronts or rears, no left/right pairs. Makes a lot of sense huh?

I've posted before, warning others about attempting to detect on COE property. Prohibited, except beaches, and that's via a (free) Permit.

I have lived in my neighborhood for many years and know who the real jerks are. It is a small area 30 homes and out of thirty homes 3 real jerks who complain about everything The guy you came across sounds like my 3 neighborhood jerks. There are just some mean old crabby people in this world.

Was hunting a school last weekend on Sunday and out comes the janitor saying may I help you? It was pretty obvious what I was doing since I had a metal detector in my hand. Told him what I was doing and said I only hunt in the dirt areas and not the grass areas which was true at the moment.

It was like he didn't know what to do, but wanted to do something about me metal detecting on the property. But then he noticed a man sitting on a bench smoking a cigarette and went over there and started ragging about him smoking on school property since it was a smoke free zone. He was on his little power trip.

I have lived in my neighborhood for many years and know who the real jerks are. It is a small area 30 homes and out of thirty homes 3 real jerks who complain about everything The guy you came across sounds like my 3 neighborhood jerks. There are just some mean old crabby people in this world.

Was hunting a school last weekend on Sunday and out comes the janitor saying may I help you? It was pretty obvious what I was doing since I had a metal detector in my hand. Told him what I was doing and said I only hunt in the dirt areas and not the grass areas which was true at the moment.

It was like he didn't know what to do, but wanted to do something about me metal detecting on the property. But then he noticed a man sitting on a bench smoking a cigarette and went over there and started ragging about him smoking on school property since it was a smoke free zone. He was on his little power trip.

Maxx-Katt, we feel your pain. Yes: MD'ing is an oddity with "connotations". And this is EXACTLY WHY I do 90% of my hunting (when it comes to nice manicured turf) at night these days. So peaceful. So serene.

You can knock yourself silly trying to get every last person on earth to "approve of you", or ........ you can simply go when those singular lookie-lou's aren't around to gripe. Presto: Problem solved :laughing:

I accept this fact....I was born as a neodymium magnet for insane or crazy people...panhandlers, bums, cat ladies, invisible and mostly harmless societal castoffs...So strong is my tractor beam effect, they will cross a Chicago rush hour street to make my acquaintance!

To most normal Humans I'm completely invisible, I can slip and slide through Life unnoticed by them at all! ....Willow the Wisp! I have to wear a name tag at family reunions!...My Wife of 40 years lists herself as 'single' on her facebook page! I am the ultimate Gray Man! Granted, Its a good gift to have...

EXCEPT, not to the other Humans living in strange and parallel mental universes....wandering around talking to themselves, insane innocents but also malevolents, they key in on me!...its as if I'm painted blaze orange, wearing a traffic cone for a hat, bare naked, riding a unicycle, juggling pineapples and playing a trumpet!!...

Its surreally funny some of the examples!! For instance: I was sitting in a barbershop in Atlanta a while ago, getting a trim before a major business meeting, and I saw a crazy guy walk past on the sidewalk, lost in his random thoughts, stumbling and drooling...then he stopped, and with a confused look on his face he walked on into the barbershop and just stood there...the Barber asked him, "What the hell do you want?" The poor guy didnt know! He was just pulled in by the aura of my neodymium magnet magnificence...then he pist himself of course and stumbled back on out onto Peachtree...

Consequently, I play this birth defect to my strength...I can about go anywhere at anytime there are 'Normies'..they just dont see me at all! Secure areas like military bases, hospitals, Airports,...Rose Garden? Custer Battlefield? Gettysburg? No big friggin deal! So I can hunt about anywhere I please! UNLESS theres a totally insane canbum or crazy old catlady around...Then yeah..we interface a bit...

I bet you a dollar I never see a Social Security check though...The damned 'Normies' running the show will say I dont exist and am not recognized in their system...!

Us old folks are like that...especially us ‘fixed income’ types (whatever that is) :lol:

Just ignore us.

Back
Top Bottom