Another good MONTANA saloon token, more Shiny!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I had a chance to get out part of yesterday, up to Missoula, and time to do one yard here in town today.

I went to MSO with one of my local friends who runs the Nox 800. The day started slowly, as we found curb strips were hammered with nothing left. We switched to door knocking, and finally were able to get some old goodies. One yard produced a Silver Rosie for me, and a nice Sterling Silver ring for my friend. The next yard gave me another Rosie, and a 1906 IHP for my friend. The last good yard gave me a Merc Dime spill (2 coins) and a 1936 Buffalo Nickel for my friend. We pulled some wheat cents, not too many, and a fair amount of modern clad.

Today, Saturday, I got the OK at a 1914 home here in town. Not a huge yard but big enough to take a couple of hours to comb carefully, esp. after my first Silver Rosie. The coins were really deep, many of them just squeakers on the AT Pro, I was happy and kinda proud of my detector that I was able to get quite good depth. Some wheat cents came out, then a Mercury Dime. I did get a couple of juicy 85-86 DEEP signals, hoping for silver quarters, but both were Clad quarters at about 8" deep. My last and best find was a 9" deep HAMILTON MONT. trade token, from WM. WAKLEY, and good for 12 1/2 CENTS at THE UNION BAR!

Anyway, a good group of hunts, I might head out again after dinner and see if I can get the OK at another yard here in town. Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• wake1.jpg
    wake1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 512
  • wake22.jpg
    wake22.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 485
  • wake2.jpg
    wake2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 499
  • wake3.jpg
    wake3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 504
  • wake4.jpg
    wake4.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 481
  • wake5.jpg
    wake5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 486
Very cool token, but how strange is that ? good for 12 / 1/2 cents. Guess every penny or even half penny counted way back when. Wonder if they had happy hour back in the day ? Some fine hunting LTS and congrats on the shiny and other goodies. Good luck, Mark

Great day. Silver and an awesome token! Congrats

Thank you MuddyMo!

That's a cool token ! Congrats on the silvers 👍☠👍

Thank you Almann!

Impressive hunt. Congrats.

Thank you PNW!

Very cool token, but how strange is that ? good for 12 / 1/2 cents. Guess every penny or even half penny counted way back when. Wonder if they had happy hour back in the day ? Some fine hunting LTS and congrats on the shiny and other goodies. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark! We dig a fair amount of tokens that are 6 1/4 cents or 12 1/2 cents, they are usually the older ones. That cent amount is based on the old Spanish 8 reale coins. Remember the old cheerleader chant... Two bits, Four bits, 6 bits, a Dollar!

Two bits is the modern 25 cents, a quarter of a dollar. So, 12 1/2 cents is ONE bit, and 6 1/4 cents is a Half Bit. So... just leftovers from an earlier time in this country on how money was figured for use.

Luv that token. Drips with history for a time when a drink was that cheap ! Great photos and photo-layout.

Not only do I love looking forward to seeing the your finds each time, I also find your background paper fascinating Shiny! Thanks for the extra effort!

Also, Tom, I figured with you being the Grandfather of detecting in California all your drinks are free:laughing:

Luv that token. Drips with history for a time when a drink was that cheap ! Great photos and photo-layout.

Thank you Tom, appreciate your comments!

Not only do I love looking forward to seeing the your finds each time, I also find your background paper fascinating Shiny! Thanks for the extra effort!

Also, Tom, I figured with you being the Grandfather of detecting in California all your drinks are free:laughing:

Thank you Silverhorse! I do like putting the goodies on some old paper, I've got a few binders of neat early stuff, so will keep on doing that, glad you like it, much appreciated!

Wm. M. Wakley was listed as a saloon operator in the 1909 Missoula City directory. The city directory in 1917 listed William as a bartender at 902 Grand Ave, Missoula. The 1922 directory says William had moved to Butte, Mt.

Wm. M. Wakley was listed as a saloon operator in the 1909 Missoula City directory. The city directory in 1917 listed William as a bartender at 902 Grand Ave, Missoula. The 1922 directory says William had moved to Butte, Mt.

Thanks for that info KeyaPaha! I did a bit of research too and found that Wm Wakley was married here in Hamilton MT in 1911, he opened a Real Estate office in 1912, and his wife ran off with their child in 1915! So sounds like the Hamilton Saloon business was before Missoula operations.

Congrats on the old coins you found! :good:

Thank you Wolf-Dog!

Back
Top Bottom