• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Spanish 8 Reale Cob...Fake!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Found in a park, a soccer field complex actually here in Kansas and in an area not near the fields and not used much because it is never mowed.
I wandered over here just to see what was in the dirt and this was one of the few signals I got.
A dead on quarter signal, boy was I surprised when this thing popped up.
Definitely fake, a sandwich made with a copper and I believe nickel plate on either end with a zinc core.

Probably some sort of luck piece or whatever...who knows how these strange things get lost where we find them.

Does not have the word copy stamped anywhere on it which is law for novelty coins so this might have been made to rip off someone.
I paid a better price, free, so now it is mine.

Hit those out of the way areas folks, you never know what you might find.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1432283060586.jpg
    PicsArt_1432283060586.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,636
  • PicsArt_1432283073463.jpg
    PicsArt_1432283073463.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,816
  • PicsArt_1432283089778.jpg
    PicsArt_1432283089778.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,010
At least it's a cool "junk" find! Maybe it's old enough of a fake the "copy" rule hadn't been applied yet.

Treasure coin

Might be some of the toy coins they sell in the traveling pirate and treasure shows . They usally have a gift shop and lots of pirate stuff for the kids.

I found one too...thought I hit the jackpot for a few minutes.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=115745&highlight=fake

Now that would have been heartstopping for a second because it could have been real.

If anything has worth, someone will try to copy it and make an illegal buck...or many bucks.

http://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm#list

This is a copy of a 1630 coin.
Wish I could say it was my oldest, but sadly...

Still pretty neat and not the most common find out there so I will enjoy the fact that I found it.
All that posted theirs in this thread are in this same kind of exclusive club.

I found a salesman's sample class ring at the end of 2013.
Marked 14k, but in reality even though solid and not plated like many others this one is probably only 6 or 8k at the most.
Same deal on that.
I was thrilled at first then very disappointed, but thinking about it I decided this was a pretty rare find that most never come across in their career.
It has worth because of that if only for me in my world.

I am in Kansas and because of where I am and the kind of site I found it I never thought it was real, but I was expecting a quarter and this is not one so the surprise factor is still enjoyable when that happens.
Maybe one day I will hunt in an area where a real one could be found.
Till then I will enjoy looking at this in my collection.

Back
Top Bottom