Real Gold Foil Plated Mystery

Time Finder

I'm a newbie. I just started metal detecting. Within an hour of my first real hunt this past weekend, found this. Almost cried, y'all. I didn't think there was going to be anything in this field on my father-in-law's property in North Texas. I found a square/rectangular nail within the same area as well along with some other interesting iron parts, chain, Baker barbed wire.

The gold plated item is broken in at least 2 pieces. I'm not sure if the pipe is part of the whole item, but I assume so because it was in the same general location. And I also found what looks like a small bullet in the same area.

At first I assumed it was a lamp, but that doesn't make much sense in terms of design. But I have no idea what even design this could be.

I've tried looking into this but I have had zero luck in getting any leads? Anyone have an idea?

Attachments

• MD ID 001.jpg
    MD ID 001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
An umbrella or parasol never crossed my mind. Thanks TPmetal & waltr for the new lead! I'll post any photos or patents I find that may come close.

Must have been some rich people lived there to a gold plated umbrella. Nice find.

The markings on this umbrella handle seem pretty close to your description:
https://picclick.com/Antique-Vintage-Repousse-Gold-MOP-Parasol-Umbrella-302821985089.html

Yes! I actually just came across this:
https://picclick.com/Antique-Victorian-Long-Gold-Plated-Etched-Parasol-Handle-183334304586.html

Thanks everyone!

Looks like it's a Victorian era parasol handle by "NPW". There are lots of different designs out there with gold plate. Looks like I need to find some more pieces!

Now the story behind the lost parasol... we can only imagine.

Attachments

• Antique-Victorian-Long-Gold-Plated-Etched-Parasol-Handle-_57 (1).jpg
    Antique-Victorian-Long-Gold-Plated-Etched-Parasol-Handle-_57 (1).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 318
Back
Top Bottom