Equinox - Test Garden. Am I missing targets?

Lavishlogos

I have been detecting for 3 years, and I have found a decent amount of items. This detector hits right on a coin, and I feel it has reduced my trash to coin ratio from my first year hunting with an ATPRO.

I almost feel like it is hitting too good on a coin, and I am only getting the good clear real easy signals when I'm out hunting. Thus, my coin to trash ratio has increased. I feel like I am missing items.

I try to dig a signal if it is good and repeatable in both directions. If it is not, I assume is is a trash target. I do dig quite a few of the iffy signals that have a high signal, but are all over the place on the VDI, to see what it is out of curiosity. Most of the times it's a rusty nail. So, I start to assume these are rusty nails when it sounds good in one direction, or drops the signal from the other other direction. I do keep digging them, in hopes of a coin next to a nail....

So, I set up a test garden last summer. I picked a spot in my yard, and made three plugs roughly 2 foot a part along my fence line. I buried one mercury dime at 7" laying flat. I buried the next mercury dime at the same 7", standing straight up. I also buried a copper penny flat at about 8"

My thought was I was going to "tune" my machine to be able to know exactly when I had a silver dime signal at good depth. I tried every mode, and every frequency. I've switched my bias, recovery speed, sensitivity, tried other people's programs, anything I could.

The one plug with the penny laying flat. I went back over with my pin pointer, and I did pull nails from the ground. I hoped this would clear up the signal. I didn't want to use clean ground, because I don't detect in pure clean ground. It really didn't make a whole lot of difference, except it took the chatter down from the nearby objects. The penny still is choppy and a iffy signal.

Some modes/settings picked up better than others, but I really had to work the spot to fish a signal out of the ground. If I didn't know they were there, and I was doing my normal detecting, the signals wouldn't make me stop for a second look. I would pass right over them....

I left the coins buried since last summer, so it has been a year, and it is still the same when I try now.

It really has me second guessing myself while out detecting, and what I am walking over and missing. After using the test garden, and getting a mode that picked up the test coin decent, I would go detect my yard more and dig the signals that sounded good in that new setting. I ended up digging a pile of rusty nails every time.

I hear other people all the time claim while detecting if they hear that faint high pitch signal, even if it mixed inbetween a bunch of low signals they are "sniffing" out the silver, and dig it. Are the other items in the ground masking out any coins? Overpowering the signal? Shouldn't these items, like nails be descriminated with the settings?

Why does a rusty nail give off such a good high signal?

I'm far from an expert but in my limited experience there are so many things which can affect the quality of the signal: type of soil, moisture content, target condition, nearby targets, depth of targets, orientation of targets, size of targets, shape of targets, speed of swing, swing direction, the list goes on nearly limitless combinations of all of the above plus many others I'm sure I missed. That's one of the reason I don't pay much attention to nail board or other types of random testing. I'm more interested in real world results.

At the end of the day even the best machines and most experienced detectorists can still be fooled or encounter some oddball scenario that you've never seen before or the machine can't identify properly. If there is any doubt what it is which in my case is very often :laughing:, you'll never know for sure unless you dig it. Most of the time it's garbage but every once in awhile you'll get a surprise.

What kind of fence did you make your test garden near and how much metal is in it and what kind.

Last edited:
If you are doing so many changes to the detector Have you done a reset and restart your selections.. ,ONLY .. takes 1 wrong change to cause a head ache

What is your swing speed .. EMI .. Coil size ..
Where is your cell phone
How close to the fence are you .. Coil also works on the top side .. Targets top and bottom

I've made a garden with home depo buckets. the little tabs to hold it makes the perfect setting of a bit of iron + aluminum to imitate the real ground conditions I detect in. But this is done outside, near the sidewalk close to the lawn to prevent any EMI. I also ground balance in an home depo bucket without any targets, just dirt.

GB is important and EMI reduction also.

Josh

I have been detecting for 3 years, and I have found a decent amount of items. This detector hits right on a coin, and I feel it has reduced my trash to coin ratio from my first year hunting with an ATPRO.

I almost feel like it is hitting too good on a coin, and I am only getting the good clear real easy signals when I'm out hunting. Thus, my coin to trash ratio has increased. I feel like I am missing items.

I try to dig a signal if it is good and repeatable in both directions. If it is not, I assume is is a trash target. I do dig quite a few of the iffy signals that have a high signal, but are all over the place on the VDI, to see what it is out of curiosity. Most of the times it's a rusty nail. So, I start to assume these are rusty nails when it sounds good in one direction, or drops the signal from the other other direction. I do keep digging them, in hopes of a coin next to a nail....

So, I set up a test garden last summer. I picked a spot in my yard, and made three plugs roughly 2 foot a part along my fence line. I buried one mercury dime at 7" laying flat. I buried the next mercury dime at the same 7", standing straight up. I also buried a copper penny flat at about 8"

My thought was I was going to "tune" my machine to be able to know exactly when I had a silver dime signal at good depth. I tried every mode, and every frequency. I've switched my bias, recovery speed, sensitivity, tried other people's programs, anything I could.

The one plug with the penny laying flat. I went back over with my pin pointer, and I did pull nails from the ground. I hoped this would clear up the signal. I didn't want to use clean ground, because I don't detect in pure clean ground. It really didn't make a whole lot of difference, except it took the chatter down from the nearby objects. The penny still is choppy and a iffy signal.

Some modes/settings picked up better than others, but I really had to work the spot to fish a signal out of the ground. If I didn't know they were there, and I was doing my normal detecting, the signals wouldn't make me stop for a second look. I would pass right over them....

I left the coins buried since last summer, so it has been a year, and it is still the same when I try now.

It really has me second guessing myself while out detecting, and what I am walking over and missing. After using the test garden, and getting a mode that picked up the test coin decent, I would go detect my yard more and dig the signals that sounded good in that new setting. I ended up digging a pile of rusty nails every time.

I hear other people all the time claim while detecting if they hear that faint high pitch signal, even if it mixed inbetween a bunch of low signals they are "sniffing" out the silver, and dig it. Are the other items in the ground masking out any coins? Overpowering the signal? Shouldn't these items, like nails be descriminated with the settings?

Why does a rusty nail give off such a good high signal?

"The one plug with the penny laying flat. I went back over with my pin pointer, and I did pull nails from the ground. I hoped this would clear up the signal. I didn't want to use clean ground, because I don't detect in pure clean ground."

Secondly, if you are literally pulling nails from your buried spot of the coin using a pinpointer...you must move. The heck with not hunting pure clean ground. You need a benchmark, which coin gardens are designed to be made by purpose. JM2C

I still bet you that your AtPro would fail there also.

Oh well, I am done here except to say that the OP hasn't answered one question yet as far as I can see. Discussions go both directions.

Last edited:
Been detecting 8 yrs. Started with a cheap Bounty Hunter. Moved up ($ wise) to an AT Pro, then to an ETRAC and now a Vanquish 440. Detected good and bad targets with all of them. Best find ever was a $6 grand diamond ring...BUT, that find was made on the surface, in bright light with the naked eye.

After 8 yrs and 4 machines (simple & complex) with upgrades in technology over time, my thoughts on the subject are the more bells/whistles in terms of how much one can "fine tune/tweak" his/her machine...the more frustration one will encounter. It will become a constantly nagging matter of "how much" discrimination does one use??, which is the "better (more conclusive) signal"...ferrous or conductive??, how high (or low) should I set the gain??, which tone or pitch (if you can even tell) is really silver and not clad?? I could continue the list...but, I think you get the idea.

Right or wrong...I've become convinced of two things. They are:
1.) A multitude of "bells/whistles" CAN improve one's abilities to dig treasure, BUT;
2.) Will or can also heighten one's likelihood of missing treasure due to the "wrong" settings for the location/target/depth/moisture/orientation. etc., etc., ETC, ad infinitum!!

My point is...the more choices one has...the more chances of "getting it wrong" AND the more one will begin to "doubt" those choices AND ultimately, his/her "machine's actual capabilities". I say this because I've watched videos where the user demonstrates that given certain settings, the detector totally ignores a target, but after toggling thru various settings...the machine finally indicates existence of a target. WHO wants to continually make adjustments...guessing what the BEST settings should be...WHEN we're not even aware we just "walked over" a good target?? That's the definition of frustration in my mind. (It's also just one person's opinion.)

As for me...I've moved to settling for a.) the "latest tech." + b.) "Mfg. reputation for quality", and every bit as important TO ME, c.) "simplicity". I've decided to trust the mfg's engineer who IS AN EXPERT in his/her field AND LAST...realize the machine that "GETS IT RIGHT" every time in every condition for every kind of treasure...HASN'T BEEN BUILT and probably never will.

X-Ray vision might get us there. :shock: HH, good luck and stay well!

Last edited:
I like to keep it simple and fun. I would just put that 440 in jewelry or coin mode and have at it.

I can add one thing to the OP’s dilemma. Pay UNBELIEVABLY CLOSE ATTENTION to where the high tone is coming from in the ground. Keep your eye on that ONE blade of grass, that ONE leaf...the EXACT spot where the high tone is coming from. Be VERY diligent with this. In this video I’m using a different machine, but the process is the EXACT same. Don’t be afraid to spend time analyzing a target before you dig it up. TRUST your machine to do what it was designed to do.
https://youtu.be/iqtCrr0eEpg

I can add one thing to the OP’s dilemma. Pay UNBELIEVABLY CLOSE ATTENTION to where the high tone is coming from in the ground. Keep your eye on that ONE blade of grass, that ONE leaf...the EXACT spot where the high tone is coming from. Be VERY diligent with this. In this video I’m using a different machine, but the process is the EXACT same. Don’t be afraid to spend time analyzing a target before you dig it up. TRUST your machine to do what it was designed to do.
https://youtu.be/iqtCrr0eEpg

Great advice IDX! I got a buddy that used to make fun of me constantly for taking so long to dig or not dig a target. I would swing and circle. Swing some more and think about it. Circle and then swing some more. Y'all get the drift. Needless to say that method taught me a lot about different targets. I can make dig or no dig calls fairly quick now. I don't get fooled by iron or any other trash much at all. These days if he has a tough target and I'm close, guess who's ask to swing over it for a second opinion?

It's a learning process no matter what detector you use. The guys who really know their detector are the ones who can make finds where others can't. Anybody can cherry pick easy targets. It's learning and understanding how your detector reacts to tough targets that raises your game to another level.

Great advice IDX! I got a buddy that used to make fun of me constantly for taking so long to dig or not dig a target. I would swing and circle. Swing some more and think about it. Circle and then swing some more. Y'all get the drift. Needless to say that method taught me a lot about different targets. I can make dig or no dig calls fairly quick now. I don't get fooled by iron or any other trash much at all. These days if he has a tough target and I'm close, guess who's ask to swing over it for a second opinion?

It's a learning process no matter what detector you use. The guys who really know their detector are the ones who can make finds where others can't. Anybody can cherry pick easy targets. It's learning and understanding how your detector reacts to tough targets that raises your game to another level.

Well said yourself Longbow! Someone around here had the quote...”one REALLY gets to know their machine only after the easy targets are gone”. SO true. Higher skill levels are born out of necessity more times than not.

Back
Top Bottom