Looking for reviews of the QuestPro Metal Detector

pine3874

Elite Member
Would be interested in hearing from anyone using the QuestPro Metal Detector(waterproof, 3 frequencies, wireless headphones, 2 coils). How does it compare to the other new waterproof detectors out there.....Equinox, Kruzer, MX Sport? The info on YouTube is too outdated to help me make a decision on whether or not to buy one.

Last edited:
Hi Sven, I am interested in reading your response but I don't know what forum is Tom's forum...

Would be interested in hearing from anyone using the QuestPro Metal Detector(waterproof, 3 frequencies, wireless headphones, 2 coils). How does it compare to the other new waterproof detectors out there.....Equinox, Kruzer, MX Sport? The info on YouTube is too outdated to help me make a decision on whether or not to buy one.

Hardly anyone has the quest, that should raise a red flag, that and its made in China.:shock:

Hardly anyone has the quest, that should raise a red flag, that and its made in China.:shock:

Just because the Quest is made in China, that dosen't mean it is no good.
Lots of people in Europe use them.
The Rutus and AKA detectors don't have a big following in the United States, so does that mean they don't work?

Just because the Quest is made in China, that dosen't mean it is no good.
Lots of people in Europe use them.
The Rutus and AKA detectors don't have a big following in the United States, so does that mean they don't work?

Well...Aka is Russian, Rutus is Polish, they have proved themselves as well made and functional and deep.
Until Chinese made detectors can prove they work well it would be wise to steer clear.
The quest may work a bit but do you want to use your money on one and then find its not so great?

Plexus, a US company does the manufacturing for Minelab in Malaysia. They have over 600,000 square feet of manufacturing facilities in Penang and elsewhere in Malaysia. Since about 60% of the Malaysian population is Muslim, its not unlikely that at least one of their facilities has a mosque nearby.

I've heard that argument already, that Quest detectors are a "copy", but copy of what? As I understand Detecnicks had to change their detectors brand name to Quest, but besides that I can't see why are they called "a copy". If they were, would they be allowed to sell legally in USA, not through one of those mega chinese online companies but by actual and well established and known USA dealers?

Dave Johnson had a post on another forum where he gave specifics of the Deteknix vs Fisher lawsuit. It was infringement on the software that drives the T2. Even Dave felt that it wasn't intentional by the owner of Deteknix, and seems to harbour no ill will toward Quest at this point, from what I recall reading.

Dan

The Deteknics Quest metal detector contained an exact copy of the Teknetics T2 software - it was a “pirate” copy. First Texas Products brought a suit against them for copyright infringement. Deteknics settled and the case was dismissed “with prejudice” (that means they admitted their infringement and made a cash settlement with first Texas). They now go under a different name.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...nix,_Inc_et_al

Trust me - Dave, as well as everyone else at First Texas was plenty PO’d about it and they were all glad when Deteknics got what was coming to them, mainly a stiff settlement. It sent a useful message to the pirates out there - don’t come to western countries where courts take real cases - you will be challanged and you will loose.

You can copy a lot of things - but the copyright laws protect any “art” and software has been included in that definition, just like music or writing.

The Deteknics Quest metal detector contained an exact copy of the Teknetics T2 software - it was a “pirate” copy. First Texas Products brought a suit against them for copyright infringement. Deteknics settled and the case was dismissed “with prejudice” (that means they admitted their infringement and made a cash settlement with first Texas). They now go under a different name.

Trust me - Dave, as well as everyone else at First Texas was plenty PO’d about it and they were all glad when Deteknics got what was coming to them, mainly a stiff settlement. It sent a useful message to the pirates out there - don’t come to western countries where courts take real cases - you will be challanged and you will loose.

You can copy a lot of things - but the copyright laws protect any “art” and software has been included in that definition, just like music or writing.

Actually, "with prejudice" simply means that the plaintiff can't bring another action on the same claim. It doesn't necessarily mean that the plaintiff won.

Dave Johnson had a post on another forum where he gave specifics of the Deteknix vs Fisher lawsuit. It was infringement on the software that drives the T2. Even Dave felt that it wasn't intentional by the owner of Deteknix, and seems to harbour no ill will toward Quest at this point, from what I recall reading.

Dan

Thanks guys, I was looking for that link!

Here are Dave's exact words from the other forum (not sure if I can link to it, so I'll just copy and paste)

The story of Mr. Deng is an unusual one. I'll tell it as best I can here, and if someone thinks I got it wrong (including Mr. Deng himself) they're welcome to post their disagreement.

Mr. Deng is a metal detector enthusiast, and resident of California. He wanted to get into the metal detector business. He had business contacts in China who furnished him with T2 clones disguised as something else. But with a trademark sounding kind of like "Teknetics" and virtually identical behaviors, the intent was for customers to know they were getting a T2 clone since the T2 has a good reputation.

Now in the USA, all that would be regarded as unethical. An honest businessperson wouldn't do it, and I don't recall anything like that ever happening in the past. However China has no history of the concept of "intellectual property", only of fraudulent representation which is fraud no matter how you cut it. So in Chinese culture, what Mr. Deng did would not be considered unethical at all. They were good honest clones, Mr. Deng packaged them in a design of his own making, no fraudulent misrepresentation that I'm aware of. The dispute was over IP. Mr. Deng made a business decision that seemed legit to him, and learned a hard lesson about differences in business cultures.

I don't regard Mr. Deng as a "bad guy" -- as far as I can tell, he's a decent chap who made a miscalculation out of ignorance. I haven't paid much attention to his products or company, but if his company survives he'll probably turn out ot be a respected competitor.

And at this point, with his own designs, his opinion of knockoff artists is probably about the same as ours.

--Dave J.

Thanks for the above post - I had never seen that post of Dave’s. It is his opinion of Mr. Deng - not his opinion of theft of intellectual property.

There is a very good reason why First Texas was willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on legal representation to stop Mr. Deng - and send a clear message to anyone who follows his example.

Chinese flagrant disregard of international laws regarding intellectual property are a huge issued. Our current Administration has made it a priority to do something about it - we’ll see how they do.

Here’s another post of Dave’s from the same forum....

FT sued for theft of IP. The IP was stolen. Had nothing to do with whether or not it was an "honest mistake". This is the USA, not China.

Sure, China has IP laws on the book. Putting a law on the books doesn't change a culture overnight. There's almost no enforcement of IP law in China, particularly if it's foreign IP that was stolen. The counterfeiters even copy each other.

And regarding the products, people will form their own opinions regarding those. Some will like them and some won't. There's no brand that hasn't been wrapped around a tree somewhere along the line.

I was not directly involved in the lawsuit, but heard quite a bit about it. Don't know Mr. Deng personally. The things I heard about him, in this situation where it would be easy to characterize him as a bad guy, were not of that character.

As far as I know, he's a decent chap. Even though he's a competitor, I wouldn't want to see him personally maligned. That's why I'm posting on this.

Back
Top Bottom