A dream place to hunt. UPDATE #2

A little bit more

Have been out 2 more time on short hunts. The ground is like concrete again and I am glad to see the rain right now. Not sure what the first piece is, other than maybe from some sort of buckle. That shiny spot on one of the tines is not from over-cleaning. It is a tiny bit of gilt still remaining. I got a strong signal about six inches deep. It turned out to be the button with quite a bit of gilt remaining on it. It has the Benedict and Coe backmark and is also marked "Extra Rich" This button is from 1829-1834. Benedict was know for making high quality buttons. I am amazed how much gilt is remaining after being in the ground for so long. The other flat button is marked "Extra Gilt" on the back. Now the belt plate......I noticed someone digging in the yard on the other side of the road, directly across from me, maybe 150 yard away. After a while he came over and was very excited. He said he just found only the second civil war relic he has ever found and pulled the belt plate out of his pocket. It is hard to tell from the picture, but this plate is a "Baby" U S Plate with puppy paw hooks on the back. I am very excited about all this because the landowner on my site went to visit her neighbor. I now have permission to go on her neighbor's property. This really excites me because the neighbor's property is really the focal point of action in this whole area. I can hardly wait.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 315
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_4926.jpg
    IMG_4926.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_6789.jpg
    IMG_6789.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 325
Very nice! Congrats on the belt plate!

It is a nice one and I wish I did find it.

A little bit of info: The belt plate that I found on the first day here and the box plate I found a couple of weeks ago and this baby belt plate were all found about 200 yards apart.

A couple of minutes of excitement at least.

Here is one thing that did give me a couple of minutes of excitement, at first thinking it might be a gun barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 434
It is a nice one and I wish I did find it.

A little bit of info: The belt plate that I found on the first day here and the box plate I found a couple of weeks ago and this baby belt plate were all found about 200 yards apart.

Sorry, missed that part when first reading it. Still exciting to know what potentially could be below the surface.

Simply amazing hunts! Congrats on getting a location that most people can only dream of. Hope the neighboring property is even more fantastic!

Simply amazing hunts! Congrats on getting a location that most people can only dream of. Hope the neighboring property is even more fantastic!

Thank you. The property I have been working (in this thread) would have been part of the front yard of the original 18th century (circa 1702) plantation house. The property across the road is the actual site where the original plantation house was. I am excited about it.

Last pictures

Ok, I officially "finished" the yard yesterday. It took me only 6 months (lol). It was a bit slow on this last piece of the yard. Did find only 1 more bullet, another Washington Arsenal Star Base, bringing the count up to 76. How would you like to find 76 bullets in the yard around your house? Pretty neat, I think. Got some nice buttons yesterday, including a Massachusetts Volunteer Militia button, with the Waterbury Button Co. backmark. It is not in the best of shape and I couldn't get a real good pic of it. Got a real nice button. It has a really nice design on the reverse and says "Treble Gilt" on the back. Also there is a nice little gilt button with the Benedict and Burnham backmark. Didn't get a separate pic of it. There is some lantern pieces in there also. Last Saturday I went across the road to another neighbor's house just for a little bit. I did come out with a couple of nice pieces, including a buckle of some sort, the drawer pull (?) and what probable is the best piece with the Passumpsic railroad baggage tag with a backmark of J Robbins/Boston. The very last picture is the best find of all. That is Buster. I was getting ready to leave, and, I guess, he wanted to go also. Kept climbing in to my detector carrying case. My next stop will be the next door neighbors, who have also given me permission to do their land. Hope you all have enjoyed this thread..Good luck to all and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpg
    IMG_5337.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_8797.jpg
    IMG_8797.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_9630.jpg
    IMG_9630.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 307
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_9178.jpg
    IMG_9178.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 244
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 238
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 247
Great finds again! I have been following this thread for quite a while and have enjoyed it greatly. You are doing a great service for the land owners. Have you been allowed you to keep any of the finds you have made so far? It would be neat to have a few items as mementos of the experience. Anyway, I hope you will update this thread if you return to hit the property again in the future. Are you going to start a new thread for the neighboring property? Good luck! Hope you find many more fantastic relics!

Great finds again! I have been following this thread for quite a while and have enjoyed it greatly. You are doing a great service for the land owners. Have you been allowed you to keep any of the finds you have made so far? It would be neat to have a few items as mementos of the experience. Anyway, I hope you will update this thread if you return to hit the property again in the future. Are you going to start a new thread for the neighboring property? Good luck! Hope you find many more fantastic relics!

I did keep the drawer pull, buckle, and baggage tag I found at the "across the road" neighbor's. She isn't interested in keeping anything. Just wanted to look at them first. I did wander around yesterday, on the next door neighbor's yard, just for a little bit. I did find 3 more bullets that I did not get a picture of. One of them is either a Burnside or Spencer. Needed to clean it better to get a better look. I gave them to the homeowner (he wanted to show them to his wife), but they aren't real interested in these types of things, so there is a chance that I might get them back. I don't know the neighbor's real well, but if I end up spending a bunch of time there, I probably will make a thread for that site also. Thank You Very Much for your comments. NOTE: After a little more research, I am pretty sure that the bullet wasn't a Burnsde or Spencer. I am pretty sure it is a Merrill Carbine round.

Great hunt ! I have enjoyed reading the thread and look forward to the neighbors yard thread :)

I hope you have great success there as well rescuing history from the soil.

:thumbsup:

I like all the finds, the eagle back flower button is interesting.
Here is a somewhat similar one.. http://sgtriker.com/images/eb35.jpg

Those buttons are very similar. The eagle looks to be exactly the same.

Thanks for this great thread of all your hunts! You've made some fantastic finds. Can't wait to see what you uncover at the neighbors yard. GL and HH!

Back
Top Bottom