AT pro detector

t.e.witt

I bought an AT pro detector from antiquesdetectors.com 2 1/2 years ago and got it out this spring after a long winter and I think its possessed. I'm outside not swinging it and its making all sorts of noises. I turn the way sensitivity down and it helps but still isn't right.

I contacted antiquesdetectors.com last night but haven't heard anything yet. I sent anther message to them and I will see if they answer.

Any ideas what could be going one with it? It has new battery's.

You can try holding the power button down for about 10 seconds, till you hear a fast double beep. That resets the unit. If that doesn't work, you would probably need to contact Garrett.

I bought an AT pro detector from antiquesdetectors.com 2 1/2 years ago and got it out this spring after a long winter and I think its possessed. I'm outside not swinging it and its making all sorts of noises. I turn the way sensitivity down and it helps but still isn't right.

I contacted antiquesdetectors.com last night but haven't heard anything yet. I sent anther message to them and I will see if they answer.

Could be a simple as EMI

You might try taking it somewhere else and see if the behavior is the same

Had a similar issue with mine awhile back when I managed to crack the coil. Wasn't stored somewhere where something could of fell on it or hit it hard?

Is the cable wrapped tightly around the shaft? If the cable is flopping in the breeze, it will sometimes detect the cable and go off.

In addition to everything suggested above, make sure the coil is screwed in tightly--I kept having mine go crazy, it was simply the coil not being tightened. Now I check about every 2 hours of hunting.
Make sure the batteries are new.
After doing a factory reset (hold the button down until the double beep), make sure you also ground balance for where you are hunting. I forgot to reset it after going from a southern lake to northern dry ground and couldn't figure out why it was so noisy, it sounded like iron was scattered everywhere.

Good luck!

Lot of possibilities making it sound off. Was it ground balanced? Are you near a cell tower? High tension electrical lines? Try doing what others have suggested and if nothing works, send it in to Garrett.

Sounds like bad Electromagnetic Interference to me. The AT Pro does have four adjustable frequencies, sometimes a slight switch in freq will eliminate the chatter.

I called Garrett and after changing frequencies and talking they suggested taking it to a garrett store and ask if they would plug a new coil in to it and see if it makes any difference.

If I do that and the coil is bad, is there any advantage is going to a bigger coil? If so what?

tighten the coil connection at the control unit. I've noticed that mine (although I don't use it often anymore) sometimes loosens

Did you wear it out Air testing your hunk of Copper

I called Garrett and after changing frequencies and talking they suggested taking it to a garrett store and ask if they would plug a new coil in to it and see if it makes any difference.

If I do that and the coil is bad, is there any advantage is going to a bigger coil? If so what?

Bigger coils offer the following (with cons to follow the pros).

Pros:
- Better coverage. More ground in each swing, means that you actually do more detecting in the same amount of time

- Better Depth. As a general rule, the depth of your machine is equivalent to the height of the coil. Larger coil = bigger "ball" of detecting field.

Cons:
- Heavier. This can add up on a hunt, until you get stronger. for me, though, the greater coverage results (initially) in me stopping sooner, but having covered the same ground as a longer hunt. When your arm gets stronger, the value really shows up.

- Target Separation can be worse, ESPECIALLY without a DD coil. Line a couple targets up top to bottom on the coil, and your coil cannot tell if there is one or two targets. DD helps reduce this, by providing a "blade" of detection field, rather than a ball.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom