Rock Tumbler from Hobby Lobby

chavo60

Okay,

Dont judge me (yet)... i got home from hunting and found some clad... including a 1/2 dollar coin. Im sitting looking at them and wondering how im going to get these cleaned. I start doing my research and read about rock tumblers. I jump on the web and visit the Harbor Freight to see their tumblers. There is one 40 minutes from home and i was tempted on driving.... I end up calling Hobby Lobby and turns out they have a rock tumbler for $29.99 and I also found a coupon for 40% off any item in the store!... come on guys, can you blame me. So i get to the store and find the rock tumbler... its a kids toy! So I buy it anyway :)

I get home, assemble it, throw in my coins, dish detergent, and some fish tank pebbles..... im watching and hearing it roll as im typing... damn its loud!...

Im posting a picture of the unit and will later post pictures of the coins... hope this machine works.... i know im gonna kick myself later for not buying the one from Harbor Freight! hahahaha.... we never know.

To be continued....

Attachments

• IMG_0726a.jpg
    IMG_0726a.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 8,716
Chavo it don't have to be fancy it will work just fine if it does the job you saved a drive and a little cash nothing wrong in that. Howard

Hi Chavo , don't feel bad you can always get the other one later if you don't like this one . I also use one from Hobby Lobby , Mine looks different than yours tho but mine is made of plastic which does make it noisy ,I have been using mine for two years now and it works great , I just put it outside or in a back room with the doors shut because of the noise , You will get along fine with it just have to learn where to use it is all . Mine uses a wheel to turn the plastic Barrel so don't have to worry about a rubber band breaking . I did discover if I soak my coins in white vinegar for a couple days before tumbling them that they come cleaner faster and easier , you want to soak and tumble them separately, I do the silver clad first then the pennies by themselves , if you don't it will make your silver stained copper color.

HH Harold

Mine is just a loud I bet and my arms get tired using it... just a plain old plastic peanut jar! Makes my wife and son nuts as I walk around the house shaking coins. So yous looks pretty good to me!

Use peanut crushed hulls or peacan crushed hulls, both real fine. They will not grind the coins up.(:-0)

I have the exact same tumbler. I got mine at Hobby Lobby too ($29.95). I put water, dish soap, and lime dust I have left over from when I built my patio. One hour in the tumber does an amazing job cleaning the coins. You are right about the noise. Mine is in the garage (in the back of the garage) :tumble:

Part II...

Okay, its been 4 hours and i got anxious to see the results... i read to let them tumble for at least 12 to 24 hours.... look at my results from just 4 hours of tumbling!! Amazing!

Now Im going to post some of my finds to see if people can help me identify them.

Thanks all, you guys are right... as long as the barrel, can (z118) tumbles then your good to go. So $19.95 well spent!

Here are some before and after pictures.... (the dollar coin is back in the tumbler for some additional cleaning)

Attachments

• IMG_0718a.jpg
    IMG_0718a.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 6,960
  • IMG_0727a.jpg
    IMG_0727a.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 7,396
Hobby Lobby was where I had planned to go if I buy one. I have to first find some coins worth cleaning. :lol:

The closest Hobby Lobby to me is 319 miles away in Avondale, Arizona. Maybe I'll check out the Harbor Freight tumbler. I have $20 in clad to tumble, and probably 200 zincolns as well. I had been soaking some of the clad in Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, but if the coins are too "red" they dont come out clean.

Back
Top Bottom