• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Simplex+ won't ground balance.....

John Madill

Elite Member
Question to fellow Simplex+ owners....

I have used the ground balance feature dozens of times with no problem.

I follow the drill of hitting the Settings button twice so it toggles past the volume function to the ground balance function.

Then i press and hold the pinpoint/confirm button and raise and lower the coil repeatedly until i hear the "ping" sound 2 or 3 times.

But now i very rarely get that "ping", even in many places i have balanced it before.

It does not seem to matter if i am in Park, Field, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Are you hitting the pinpoint button also you need to almost break your thumb pushing it in .. I do not use pinpoint .. Because I hit the power button.. backwards in others detectors

Question to fellow Simplex+ owners....

I have used the ground balance feature dozens of times with no problem.

I follow the drill of hitting the Settings button twice so it toggles past the volume function to the ground balance function.

Then i press and hold the pinpoint/confirm button and raise and lower the coil repeatedly until i hear the "ping" sound 2 or 3 times.

But now i very rarely get that "ping", even in many places i have balanced it before.

It does not seem to matter if i am in Park, Field, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Even though you don't hear a "ping" sound, do the numbers change from default 90?

Also, this sentence from the Simplex manual may explain your issue:

"If you cannot ground balance, in other words, if no beep sound is produced, it means that either the ground is too conductive or not mineralized or there is a target right below the search coil. In such a case, retry ground balance at a different spot."

Thanks for the replies guys.

The button for ground balance performs its other functions like pinpointing and muting.

And the machine has ground balanced these exact areas before with no problems.

And the number stays at 90.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The button for ground balance performs its other functions like pinpointing and muting.

And the machine has ground balanced these exact areas before with no problems.

And the number stays at 90.

If you have tried it over absolutely clean ground with no change.....you might want to try a factory reset.

"To revert back to factory defaults please follow the steps below:
* Turn the detector on by pressing the power button.
* Once the SIMPLEX+ logo appears on the screen, press and hold down the Settings and Pinpoint/Confirm button simultaneously until 3 short beeps are heard."

If you have a coil cover on you may have debris inside it stopping you from ground balancing.

Make sure your coil and cover are both clean.

I did the factory reset as suggested. It then ground balanced with a pretty drastic drop in numbers, from 90 to the mid 20's.

It was just the lawn in a Florida mobile home park. But it would not balance a 2nd time.

Mention of the coil cover rang a bell. I recently decided to forgo the coil cover and this balance problem may coincide with this change.

Any reason the absence of a cover would impact this?

The cover is several states away right now.

Can you manually set the ground balance? It's a bit more of a process but if the auto gb isn't functional it may be your only option till you can get it sorted. Page 19 in the manual will walk you through it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom