Deus 2 might just be the new bomb

I chickened out and canceled my Deus II pre-order this morning. I decided to take the wait and see approach. I wasn't overly enthused about it to begin with. Things may change once more people start testing. As of right now I'm more than happy with what I'm swinging, and content to just wait it out.
That makes me sad.
One less common sense detectorist to give a report on the first batch.

That makes me sad.
One less common sense detectorist to give a report on the first batch.

Even though I had a pre-order in pretty early I probably would not have received one out of the first shipment anyway. They are pushing this machine so hard on the beach and diving I'm beginning to wonder if it has any advantages on land versus the Equinox. FMF on land is all I was interested in. I was not happy with the cluttered screen, nor the screen size on the Deus II. Unless it is a whole lot better than the Equinox on land I'm holding out for the next Minelab detector. Even if that detector is even more expensive than the Deus II.

Longbow62, I think we are two of a growing number of folks who canceled a pre-order or simply held off doing so. A dealer friend I use, who is a big XP supporters and user who has done well with his Deus for several years now, sent me a quote from XP about when any Deus II's are likely ro arrive here in the US. That long delay combined with my health and recovery, plus what I have been watching on many, many videos nudged me to cancel my order.

I know that in a few months, and after a move, again, I will check out a Deus II. It will have to offer me a lot over what I am using, and all of my detecting is land hunting. I am interested in getting another EQ-800 w/6" coil to use it more and learn it better, and I also have a pre-order in for The Legend Pro Pack w6" coil. I am curious what N/M have done to provide a rival for the 800, and I am hoping it will do better in heavy iron debris sites I like.

I will keep the better of the two in my detector team, and I can buy both of them for the same, or less, than a Deus II and that includes a smaller coil for each of the and not the latter.

I still will have my other proven performers for the tasks they excell at, and that includes my XP ORX w/5X9.5 HF coil.

By late summer I will know if I am still interested in the D-II and can maybe find a good deal on one.

Monte

Even though I had a pre-order in pretty early I probably would not have received one out of the first shipment anyway. They are pushing this machine so hard on the beach and diving I'm beginning to wonder if it has any advantages on land versus the Equinox. FMF on land is all I was interested in. I was not happy with the cluttered screen, nor the screen size on the Deus II. Unless it is a whole lot better than the Equinox on land I'm holding out for the next Minelab detector. Even if that detector is even more expensive than the Deus II.

Longbow, I see a lot of your posts,and they’re good .i don’t blame you for holding out and not guini pigging a new release.
There two things I believe and not much can sway me.. Minelab makes the best coin machines and Deus makes the best relic machine..Minelab machines will find relics and the Deus will find coins... But they each have they’re strong points and it’s relics for the Deus and coins for the Minelab..
I see lots of guys are hyped up on the new Deus 2 and that’s awesome,I hope they get what they’re expecting because Deus is one good company .
I’ve been hunting a lot of open fields the last two years,some parks once in awhile but mostly fields. And the Deus is my choice machine for the fields,it excels,it’s light and it don’t false on iron.
If I do a 360 and start hunting yards and parks more it’s a Minelab I’ll be swinging. I like the Deus and I know I’ll get criticized for saying this but I just can’t see anything Deus could possibly do to the Deus 2 to make it anywhere near the playing field Minelab is on when it comes to parks and yards.

Longbow, I see a lot of your posts,and they’re good .i don’t blame you for holding out and not guini pigging a new release.
There two things I believe and not much can sway me.. Minelab makes the best coin machines and Deus makes the best relic machine..Minelab machines will find relics and the Deus will find coins... But they each have they’re strong points and it’s relics for the Deus and coins for the Minelab..
I see lots of guys are hyped up on the new Deus 2 and that’s awesome,I hope they get what they’re expecting because Deus is one good company .
I’ve been hunting a lot of open fields the last two years,some parks once in awhile but mostly fields. And the Deus is my choice machine for the fields,it excels,it’s light and it don’t false on iron.
If I do a 360 and start hunting yards and parks more it’s a Minelab I’ll be swinging. I like the Deus and I know I’ll get criticized for saying this but I just can’t see anything Deus could possibly do to the Deus 2 to make it anywhere near the playing field Minelab is on when it comes to parks and yards.

Thanks Woody, I really can't afford or justify constantly buying every new release. For instance if I bought the Deus II then turned around and bought whatever and whenever Minelab decides to release I'll have a ridiculous amount of money tied up in detectors. I'm sitting on 2 800's + 2 smaller extra coils, and a brand new Deus as it is.

My thinking as a land hunter what's the Deus II going to offer I don't have already?

The Deus was and is a great detector. No doubt about that at all. But where it was lacking was on a salt water beach. Just like so many single frequency machines it was not the tool for the task on those beaches. This new Deus 2 will change that. That is where operators will see the leap in performance. Dirt hunters? Probably those that deal with high mineralized dirt will see a difference. If you have good success with the original Deus and no problems with your dirt then you are probably not going to see a significant leap in performance. That is my opinion. Go ahead and take the plunge. Take this new detector to your beat to death hunting grounds. Find two more silvers and prove me wrong.

Last edited:
longbow62: said:
I'm sitting on 2 800's + 2 smaller extra coils, and a brand new Deus as it is.

My thinking as a land hunter what's the Deus II going to offer I don't have already?
[
If someone is just checking out the hobby to see if they're interested in it or not, they can get by with a single detector just to get an idea of what things are like. But if anyone takes this hobby seriously, I don't believe one detector is going to do it all, and do it all well. Every detector will have its strengths and weaknesses, therefore if anyone is serious and active , and I emphasize active, they should have at least 2 detectors to compliment each other.

In your case you have that with the Equinox 800 and Deus, and like me you even have two of the same model for specific reasons.

Personally, if you are mainly a Land Hunter, then let's call that mainly a Coin & Jewelry Hunter, I don't think the new Deus II will provide much to justify the high cost of the device. I'm not saying it doesn't work well, but it is a lot of $$$ outlay to consider it a significant move from your original Deus, and it still won't do some of what the EQ-800 can on land with a lot of modern trash.

In my case, and after tinkering with all the units I have on-hand now, I might get the Deus II later this year IF I note any actual in-the-field performance for me to replace my XP ORX that I use for selected Relic Hunting tasks.

So just keep the units you have busy finding the good stuff!

Monte

If someone is just checking out the hobby to see if they're interested in it or not, they can get by with a single detector just to get an idea of what things are like. But if anyone takes this hobby seriously, I don't believe one detector is going to do it all, and do it all well. Every detector will have its strengths and weaknesses, therefore if anyone is serious and active , and I emphasize active, they should have at least 2 detectors to compliment each other.

I disagree. I take this hobby pretty seriously (and still find it fun and enjoyable) and dedicate a substantial amount of my free time doing research and hunting at least 3x a week. I have but one lowly detector, the Nox 800. I do pretty well with it wherever I go...parks, woods, relic-y type places. To tell someone they need multiple detectors to be serious and successful in this hobby is just silly.

I disagree. I take this hobby pretty seriously (and still find it fun and enjoyable) and dedicate a substantial amount of my free time doing research and hunting at least 3x a week. I have but one lowly detector, the Nox 800. I do pretty well with it wherever I go...parks, woods, relic-y type places. To tell someone they need multiple detectors to be serious and successful in this hobby is just silly.

X2

I own 3 at this time... I own the Excalibur for water hunting a Nox for wet rock hunting and my MXT for dirt hunting there is no advantage using the NOX in the dirt my MXT finds just as much as the Nox will.

X3

Yeah, I also disagree, and I have multiple detectors and coils. Being serious has more to do with knowing your primary (or only) machine inside and out and putting in the effort to get on productive/interesting locations.

X4

Well, I'm still in the preorder queue, and intend to stay there. Its cold and the ground is frozen at some of my spots around here anyway, so I'm not doing much.

For me, I still use an E-Trac, and it has been an incredible workhorse machine for 10+ years, and I wish I could use it forever.

But for me, the advantages to upgrading are that the E-Trac is just getting too heavy as I get older. I used to be able to swing 10 hours a day, now I am down to about 4. I like what I see as the light weight, but not flimsyness, of the Deus II. The buttons on the E-Trac are starting to go. The software/chips on the Deus II seems faster, and of course they are, and probably faster than on the Nox as well. That is just a function of age in that business. Everything gets faster each year.

I think I will be able to swing it faster than the E-Trac and the Nox. This is a big deal to me, as I'm all about efficiency, so I see being able to cover more ground in the same unit time as a big deal.

I like the way the Deus II packs up and how easy it is to swap coils. I ride my mountain bike to many sites, and the E-Trac always packed up a bit awkwardly and took some time to assemble. The Nox seems so flimsy that I would not even try packing it up in a pack and riding my bike to a site.

And, it is nice to use different technology on the same site to see what happens. While the E-Trac and Nox use different frequency technology, I'm betting under the hood that some of the signal processing and algorithms are the same. I was in that business for a very long time, and know how those things work somewhat.

I wanted a Deus anyway just for a different algorithm to try, so I see the Deus II coming along at this time as a possible bonus in this regard.

I cannot use my E-Trac in the rain. The screen gets weird. I don't trust the Nox in the rain, as I have read too many horror stories about "is it really waterproof". I'm hoping the Deus II gives me the confidence to enjoy hunting in the rain, so I see that as an advantage.

The big negative I see with the Deus II is the prop batteries. And if you read the fine print in the warranty, they are only good for 2 years. I'm hoping someone comes out with aftermarket batteries like the E-Trac, but that is a risk if I can't get OEM batteries when the stock ones fail. (The batteries are the only thing that has failed completely on the E-Trac in 10 years).

It is very difficult to get the aftermarket coils I want for the E-Trac now, and they do fail. Another reason to have a more modern machine and hope for the best with the OEM coils or whatever comes along. I don't feel good about putting more money into the Nox for different coils.

As for the Nox, maybe it finds as much as the Deus II. But I never got along with it, and went back to the E-Trac. I find more with it, but I'm pretty good with it. The flimsyness of the Nox is just such a turnoff for me, and the horror stories I read about further investments in parts I will need to detect 10 hours a day make it seem more expensive than it is listed at. Also, it is worse on iron (less efficient) than the E-Trac in my judgment for the sites I hunt and my style of hunting.

Its just not a fun machine for me to use, and this is a hobby, and its about fun. I'm hoping the Deus II is fun.

As for the cost, I don't have alot of money, but my finds to date will easily pay for a Deus II. Forget the silvers, I've found enough clad to pay for it + another coil, and I don't hunt clad. And if it sucks, I can always sell it, so I don't look at the headline cost but cost of ownership. Another reason I am not happy with the Nox as I don't want to throw alot of money into upgrading the shaft, coil ears, and so forth.

I bought my Nox used, E-Trac used, V3 used (then sold), and before that, a DFX used. The only machine I have ever bought new is an Ace 250. The way I figure it, it is time to treat myself to a brand new machine for a change, and see what it can do in the variable dirt around here.

Another advantage I see is the ground balancing options. All the E-Trac gives you is auto GB, which works well enough, but I'd like manual and would like an actual numeric read on the dirt, which the Deus II seems to offer. I was never comfortable with the Nox GB.

As for other points raised in the thread, of course you can compare a $500 machine to a $1500 machine. All that matters is which one works better for you at your location. When I got the V3, for example, back in the day, much cheaper machines worked better, at least for me. IMHO, that machine was a lemon, especially for the price. There is risk that the Deus II will also be a lemon. We'll see.

Of course you don't have to have several machines and aftermarket coils to be a "serious detectorist". I plod along with my E-Trac, one aftermarket coil, and one stock coil, and still consider myself serious. I do tons of research, and am amazed sometimes at the sites I find. It is what makes you happy, not how many machines you have (unless of course, that makes you happy). Of course, if you want to be serious on both dirt and the beach, or coinshooting and relics, then you may want multiple machines for the different jobs. But not having them does not make you any less serious. I have no interest in relic hunting, but do have an interest in the beach, so I am hoping the Deus II offers and advantage over the Minelab machines I have at the beach.

As for the videos and reviews out there, I take it all with a grain of salt. I don't know if it will provide an advantage or not, and I don't know how staged those videos are. We'll see when lots of people are using the machine; that is the risk that these reviewers run, if they are found out as emperors with no clothes or not. For me, I've pulled silvers out of holes with 5 iron nails, and while I think the Deus II will have an advantage at such sites due to faster software, I don't think it will be as strong as an advantage as some reviewers suggest. And besides , there is fun in discovering the machine for yourself.

We'll see, and good luck with any decision. Just my long winded 2c on some of the points raised in this thread, and why I am upgrading. If it is a lemon, you will be able to buy mine used on the cheap. :)

Well, I'm still in the preorder queue, and intend to stay there. Its cold and the ground is frozen at some of my spots around here anyway, so I'm not doing much.

For me, I still use an E-Trac, and it has been an incredible workhorse machine for 10+ years, and I wish I could use it forever.

But for me, the advantages to upgrading are that the E-Trac is just getting too heavy as I get older. I used to be able to swing 10 hours a day, now I am down to about 4. I like what I see as the light weight, but not flimsyness, of the Deus II. The buttons on the E-Trac are starting to go. The software/chips on the Deus II seems faster, and of course they are, and probably faster than on the Nox as well. That is just a function of age in that business. Everything gets faster each year.

I think I will be able to swing it faster than the E-Trac and the Nox. This is a big deal to me, as I'm all about efficiency, so I see being able to cover more ground in the same unit time as a big deal.

I like the way the Deus II packs up and how easy it is to swap coils. I ride my mountain bike to many sites, and the E-Trac always packed up a bit awkwardly and took some time to assemble. The Nox seems so flimsy that I would not even try packing it up in a pack and riding my bike to a site.

And, it is nice to use different technology on the same site to see what happens. While the E-Trac and Nox use different frequency technology, I'm betting under the hood that some of the signal processing and algorithms are the same. I was in that business for a very long time, and know how those things work somewhat.

I wanted a Deus anyway just for a different algorithm to try, so I see the Deus II coming along at this time as a possible bonus in this regard.

I cannot use my E-Trac in the rain. The screen gets weird. I don't trust the Nox in the rain, as I have read too many horror stories about "is it really waterproof". I'm hoping the Deus II gives me the confidence to enjoy hunting in the rain, so I see that as an advantage.

The big negative I see with the Deus II is the prop batteries. And if you read the fine print in the warranty, they are only good for 2 years. I'm hoping someone comes out with aftermarket batteries like the E-Trac, but that is a risk if I can't get OEM batteries when the stock ones fail. (The batteries are the only thing that has failed completely on the E-Trac in 10 years).

It is very difficult to get the aftermarket coils I want for the E-Trac now, and they do fail. Another reason to have a more modern machine and hope for the best with the OEM coils or whatever comes along. I don't feel good about putting more money into the Nox for different coils.

As for the Nox, maybe it finds as much as the Deus II. But I never got along with it, and went back to the E-Trac. I find more with it, but I'm pretty good with it. The flimsyness of the Nox is just such a turnoff for me, and the horror stories I read about further investments in parts I will need to detect 10 hours a day make it seem more expensive than it is listed at. Also, it is worse on iron (less efficient) than the E-Trac in my judgment for the sites I hunt and my style of hunting.

Its just not a fun machine for me to use, and this is a hobby, and its about fun. I'm hoping the Deus II is fun.

As for the cost, I don't have alot of money, but my finds to date will easily pay for a Deus II. Forget the silvers, I've found enough clad to pay for it + another coil, and I don't hunt clad. And if it sucks, I can always sell it, so I don't look at the headline cost but cost of ownership. Another reason I am not happy with the Nox as I don't want to throw alot of money into upgrading the shaft, coil ears, and so forth.

I bought my Nox used, E-Trac used, V3 used (then sold), and before that, a DFX used. The only machine I have ever bought new is an Ace 250. The way I figure it, it is time to treat myself to a brand new machine for a change, and see what it can do in the variable dirt around here.

Another advantage I see is the ground balancing options. All the E-Trac gives you is auto GB, which works well enough, but I'd like manual and would like an actual numeric read on the dirt, which the Deus II seems to offer. I was never comfortable with the Nox GB.

As for other points raised in the thread, of course you can compare a $500 machine to a $1500 machine. All that matters is which one works better for you at your location. When I got the V3, for example, back in the day, much cheaper machines worked better, at least for me. IMHO, that machine was a lemon, especially for the price. There is risk that the Deus II will also be a lemon. We'll see.

Of course you don't have to have several machines and aftermarket coils to be a "serious detectorist". I plod along with my E-Trac, one aftermarket coil, and one stock coil, and still consider myself serious. I do tons of research, and am amazed sometimes at the sites I find. It is what makes you happy, not how many machines you have (unless of course, that makes you happy). Of course, if you want to be serious on both dirt and the beach, or coinshooting and relics, then you may want multiple machines for the different jobs. But not having them does not make you any less serious. I have no interest in relic hunting, but do have an interest in the beach, so I am hoping the Deus II offers and advantage over the Minelab machines I have at the beach.

As for the videos and reviews out there, I take it all with a grain of salt. I don't know if it will provide an advantage or not, and I don't know how staged those videos are. We'll see when lots of people are using the machine; that is the risk that these reviewers run, if they are found out as emperors with no clothes or not. For me, I've pulled silvers out of holes with 5 iron nails, and while I think the Deus II will have an advantage at such sites due to faster software, I don't think it will be as strong as an advantage as some reviewers suggest. And besides , there is fun in discovering the machine for yourself.

We'll see, and good luck with any decision. Just my long winded 2c on some of the points raised in this thread, and why I am upgrading. If it is a lemon, you will be able to buy mine used on the cheap. :)
Randy, there is a lot of truth in your post.
I hope you are one of those people who posts about your experiences with the
Deus 2. I have had my Nox 800 for about two months and was not bonding with it until I realized it had quite a few quirks that could reduce its performance. One quirk is iron that is discriminated out (not heard and no vdi) still affects recovery speed and may not allow you to hear a good target near the iron. If your recovery speed is set low the 800 user could miss some good targets in trashy areas and not even know it. Also I am not sure but I feel like there is some automatic processing going on in the 800 that cannot be controlled by the operator similar to the Vanquish series.

Hey guys, let me clarify an earlier post I made that brought some 'dislikes' comments. I used the term, or word, 'serious' in that I feel anyone who takes this hobby serious ought to have and use two or more detectors. I've felt that way for fifty years now, and still do. However, let me clarify the meaning of the word and change it to something that might be better accepted.

Yes, I am well aware that anyone can own and use only one detector and do reasonably well with it, especially if they use it and learn it and know it well. That especially is a good fit for anyone who might enjoy one certain aspect of this great sport., such as Coin Hunting or Coin & Jewelry Hunting.

So let me change 'serious' to 'diversify' or whatever term you would like to use to suggest an Avid Detectorist who enjoys a variety of detecting aspects or applications. For example, any detector can be used on a freshwater or saltwater beach with maybe only the coil being worked in the water, but some dedicated Beach Hunters anticipate going into the water more so they might want a waterproof detector also.

Maybe someone is a very dedicated Coin Hunter and they do a great job of thinning out the coins from many urban locations like parks, schools, yards, parking strips, etc., and they are using a detector that provides them the performance they need and features they want. Terrific!

Then as some areas thin out or they want to take on some different challenges, they decide to get into Relic Hunting, be it former battle sites, ghost towns, stage strops and railroad depot sites, and many other 'different' places that offer more challenges, that are 'different' or 'difficult' to deal with compared to city-shooting sites. Especially taking on dense scatterings of Iron Nails and shards of rusty tin.

In that case, since they are taking on a different branch of detecting, they just might want to own and use one or more different detectors and the best choice of search coils to tackle the challenges they will encounter that are different from what they had to handle in their urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting locations. They should get 'serious' about detector and coil selection for a different type of hunting conditions they will be taking on.

Or, how about the Coin Hunter or Relic Hunter who wants to do something different and get serious about what they are doing as they 'diversify' and decide to get into Gold Nugget Hunting? I can guarantee that Electronic Prospecting can be a new challenge when it comes to detector selection, the operating frequencies and search modes, and coil selection that their other detector(s) might not be capable of handling.

As it is, I have several detectors on-hand now for what I enjoy doing as I take each different aspect of this detecting hobby 'serious' and like to be prepared for what I set out to do. One is my XP ORX that does things, performance wise, that some of my other detectors struggle to, or can't, accomplish. By summertime I'll be getting around better and will take a hands-on look at the Deus II and it just might replace a model or two I have now or might acquire by then. But as we use and learn and master different detectors we can also determine which are better for more serious Relic Hunting needs or for rewarding us better for an assortment of Coin & Jewelry Hunting places.

Thus, if we take a 'serious' approach to this detecting sport and 'diversify' so as to include different site challenges, we just might be better off if we have two or more detectors to do so. There isn't a 'perfect' detector for everything, even though there are some detectors that can handle a bit more needs than some other competitive models.

Monte

That's your option but it doesn't make it a fact.
Detectors are evolving into multi/purpose use devices, look at the performance of the Nox in every category and now the D2 looks like it has taken it a step further.

I take my detecting seriously, but I've no need to be carrying a car load of detectors or this 'arsenal' rubbish, especially double of the same units with different coils, that's just excessive and stupid imho.
I'd guarantee i could walk behind you with your 'site specific specialist detector' and still pick up targets with my Nox!

Hey guys, let me clarify an earlier post I made that brought some 'dislikes' comments. I used the term, or word, 'serious' in that I feel anyone who takes this hobby serious ought to have and use two or more detectors. I've felt that way for fifty years now, and still do. However, let me clarify the meaning of the word and change it to something that might be better accepted.

Yes, I am well aware that anyone can own and use only one detector and do reasonably well with it, especially if they use it and learn it and know it well. That especially is a good fit for anyone who might enjoy one certain aspect of this great sport., such as Coin Hunting or Coin & Jewelry Hunting.

So let me change 'serious' to 'diversify' or whatever term you would like to use to suggest an Avid Detectorist who enjoys a variety of detecting aspects or applications. For example, any detector can be used on a freshwater or saltwater beach with maybe only the coil being worked in the water, but some dedicated Beach Hunters anticipate going into the water more so they might want a waterproof detector also.

Maybe someone is a very dedicated Coin Hunter and they do a great job of thinning out the coins from many urban locations like parks, schools, yards, parking strips, etc., and they are using a detector that provides them the performance they need and features they want. Terrific!

Then as some areas thin out or they want to take on some different challenges, they decide to get into Relic Hunting, be it former battle sites, ghost towns, stage strops and railroad depot sites, and many other 'different' places that offer more challenges, that are 'different' or 'difficult' to deal with compared to city-shooting sites. Especially taking on dense scatterings of Iron Nails and shards of rusty tin.

In that case, since they are taking on a different branch of detecting, they just might want to own and use one or more different detectors and the best choice of search coils to tackle the challenges they will encounter that are different from what they had to handle in their urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting locations. They should get 'serious' about detector and coil selection for a different type of hunting conditions they will be taking on.

Or, how about the Coin Hunter or Relic Hunter who wants to do something different and get serious about what they are doing as they 'diversify' and decide to get into Gold Nugget Hunting? I can guarantee that Electronic Prospecting can be a new challenge when it comes to detector selection, the operating frequencies and search modes, and coil selection that their other detector(s) might not be capable of handling.

As it is, I have several detectors on-hand now for what I enjoy doing as I take each different aspect of this detecting hobby 'serious' and like to be prepared for what I set out to do. One is my XP ORX that does things, performance wise, that some of my other detectors struggle to, or can't, accomplish. By summertime I'll be getting around better and will take a hands-on look at the Deus II and it just might replace a model or two I have now or might acquire by then. But as we use and learn and master different detectors we can also determine which are better for more serious Relic Hunting needs or for rewarding us better for an assortment of Coin & Jewelry Hunting places.

Thus, if we take a 'serious' approach to this detecting sport and 'diversify' so as to include different site challenges, we just might be better off if we have two or more detectors to do so. There isn't a 'perfect' detector for everything, even though there are some detectors that can handle a bit more needs than some other competitive models.

Monte

I'd guarantee i could walk behind you with your 'site specific specialist detector' and still pick up targets with my Nox!

I'm guessing a few PI beach guys would accept your challenge. :p

That said, I'm also reminded of "beware of the man with one gun, because he's figured out how to use it in all situations."

This thread is about the DEUS II, and I want to try one out. I really like my NOX 800, but I invited a friend with a CTX3030 to one of my discrete sites, and he sniffed out silver my NOX just didn't see, even when we compared signals on multiple targets.

If the latest offering from XP Detectors solves (or reduces) my EMI problems, it's a total win for me. Of all the issues I face on my sites, EMI is my greatest limitation.

Finally, I'm very serious, but try not to take myself too seriously. I research old maps, LIDAR scans, newspapers from the 1830's-on, research property records, interview locals about folklore and word-of-mouth history. Occasionally it pays off, but it mostly is an adventure. I have money invested in my detecting, but I write it off the when I purchase new equipment. If you need to pay for your detecting investment without having a lot of detecting experience, you probably shouldn't buy an expensive detector.

Just some thoughts.

JP

I'm guessing a few PI beach guys would accept your challenge. :p

That said, I'm also reminded of "beware of the man with one gun, because he's figured out how to use it in all situations."

This thread is about the DEUS II, and I want to try one out. I really like my NOX 800, but I invited a friend with a CTX3030 to one of my discrete sites, and he sniffed out silver my NOX just didn't see, even when we compared signals on multiple targets.

If the latest offering from XP Detectors solves (or reduces) my EMI problems, it's a total win for me. Of all the issues I face on my sites, EMI is my greatest limitation.

Finally, I'm very serious, but try not to take myself too seriously. I research old maps, LIDAR scans, newspapers from the 1830's-on, research property records, interview locals about folklore and word-of-mouth history. Occasionally it pays off, but it mostly is an adventure. I have money invested in my detecting, but I write it off the when I purchase new equipment. If you need to pay for your detecting investment without having a lot of detecting experience, you probably shouldn't buy an expensive detector.

Just some thoughts.

JP

Well I will go out on a limb and say the new Deus will not be the answer to your EMI problem. With a wireless coil transmitting it might even be worse. Of course I don't really know since I have never held one. Unless the Deus II has some type of new noise cancel feature that trumps the noise cancel feature of the Minerlab units that have it then I just don't see a major improvement. I have heard hints that Minelab is taking a serious approach to EMI. We will see.

Well I will go out on a limb and say the new Deus will not be the answer to your EMI problem. With a wireless coil transmitting it might even be worse. Of course I don't really know since I have never held one. Unless the Deus II has some type of new noise cancel feature that trumps the noise cancel feature of the Minerlab units that have it then I just don't see a major improvement. I have heard hints that Minelab is taking a serious approach to EMI. We will see.

I've seen a few initial videos, so I'm hoping for the best. I can't imaging any leading-edge manufacturer neglecting the problem.

This is the typical environment where the oldest parks reside:

IMG_4841.jpg

Back
Top Bottom