Does this count as a coin spill?

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
I have no explanation for this one. I was hunting a site in the middle of the woods and I got a decent signal. I could tell it was big but dug it anyway. In the hole about six inches down and between two roots I could see the jar lid and I thought it was more garbage. When I pulled it out of the hole and heard the jingle of coins my heart skipped a beat or two. I’ve heard of people finding actual buried treasure but never thought I would! When I removed the lid I could see that they were all Lincoln’s so not treasure but definitely one of the strangest things I’ve ever found. There are 51 Lincoln pennies, only one of which is a wheat. The newest penny is 1975 so that means that it has been in the ground for 45 years. There are trails nearby but this was really nowhere near a trail or any landmark at all. Like I said no explanation and definitely one of the strangest things I’ve ever or probably ever will find.

Attachments

• 122367D6-0D3B-4518-95ED-11432FED45A2.jpg
    122367D6-0D3B-4518-95ED-11432FED45A2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 604
  • 201AA6B1-7CCC-4AEC-99AC-7DC4DF9D9A19.jpg
    201AA6B1-7CCC-4AEC-99AC-7DC4DF9D9A19.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 587
Whatever you want to call it it is definitely a really neat find !!!! :thumbsup:

I am guessing maybe a kid was hiking back in the woods and for whatever reason decided to hide their "treasure" for a later date but then maybe forgot where they hid it :lol: (maybe they should have included a note inside saying "if found, please return to......." :lol:)

......and hey, that's definitely easier than digging up 51 pennies individually :laughing:

I would have had a heart attack when I heard that jingle! Geese, ya finally hit a cache and it turns out to be fity cent of pennies. Yeah, agree with the other guys, that's a kid burying his treasure. Playing pirate or something. Still its a nice find. It caused a bunch of guys to read and write about it here if nothing else. HH

I would have had a heart attack when I heard that jingle! Geese, ya finally hit a cache and it turns out to be fity cent of pennies. Yeah, agree with the other guys, that's a kid burying his treasure. Playing pirate or something. Still its a nice find. It caused a bunch of guys to read and write about it here if nothing else. HH

It would be really funny if the kid who it belonged to becomes a detectorist, joins this forum, sees this thread, and says, hey, that was mine :shock: :laughing:

...The newest penny is 1975 so that means that it has been in the ground for 45 years.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but it would be more accurate to say that the earliest that cache could have been buried was 45 years ago. Theoretically, that same set of penny dates could have been put in the ground last week or last year or ten years ago. I bet it was closer to the earliest burial years though.

Still, a really cool experience to find a cache of coins. Definitely not a “spill”.

Nice story... thanks for sharing!

awesome. I have a "spill" by one of my churches. I have taken about 300 lincoln/wheat (99% lincolns) pennies from the hole and finally gave up after not finding a silver coin (or anything except a penny). They were still everywhere in the hole. I just covered it back up and left.

Congrats on your cache!

Extremely cool find for sure. An old jar full of coins no matter what they are is over the top cool. Congrats and well done.

Back
Top Bottom